Online Vinyl Deals

Do you have a moment to hear the word of our Lord and Savior, Mobile Fidelity Ultraclear Archival Outers?

These are the best "clear as hell" outers for single LPs, IMO. I see them occasionally in shops too, but generally just pick up a pack online periodically. Wish they were cheaper but oh well.
I do MoFi Inners usually buy 150 for around $60 from Music Direct but for inners I go with Invest In Vinyl outters 100 for around $20 off of Amazon.

I was the same, didn't really give a shit about what outers looked like, but once I started using ultraclear I can't go back. There's something about the art being perfectly clear and on display that I really dig. I also grew up in the hay day of card games and I think there's something that takes me back to those days when I have these super thick, super clear sleeves protecting my car--I mean records.
I display the record that’s spinning either on a now spinning shelf on my wall or on a stand and really like how the crystal clears make album art pop. I store the records behind the jackets so never remove the jacket to play the album.

I was the same, didn't really give a shit about what outers looked like, but once I started using ultraclear I can't go back. There's something about the art being perfectly clear and on display that I really dig. I also grew up in the hay day of card games and I think there's something that takes me back to those days when I have these super thick, super clear sleeves protecting my car--I mean records.
I never took my Shaquille O’Neal rookie card out of its hard protective sleeve though. The second the record comes off my shelf (were I can only see the spine) I take the outter of the jacket so I can spin the record.

I never took my Shaquille O’Neal rookie card out of its hard protective sleeve though. The second the record comes off my shelf (were I can only see the spine) I take the outter of the jacket so I can spin the record.
I kept my cards in immaculate shape. Had the mothership not thrown out my Pokemon cards, I'd probably be able to afford a Luxman.

I display the record that’s spinning either on a now spinning shelf on my wall or on a stand and really like how the crystal clears make album art pop. I store the records behind the jackets so never remove the jacket to play the album.
If you don't have a mess of record jackets/inners/outers leaning up against your Kallax, are you even living?

I think this probably goes back to how we choose to store our records, I store my records inside the jackets and thus have to remove the outter to spin. I suspect that you and maybe the others that care about how the jacket art looks through the outter likely store the vinyl outside the jacket thus rarely remove the jacket from the outter sleeve.

I think this probably goes back to how we choose to store our records, I store my records inside the jackets and thus have to remove the outter to spin. I suspect that you and maybe the others that care about how the jacket art looks through the outter likely store the vinyl outside the jacket thus rarely remove the jacket from the outter sleeve.
I store the record outside the jacket because I’m lazy. Same reason I like gatefold sleeves. Doesn’t require me to take the jacket out to look at all the pretty pictures.

I'm an exception to your assumption. I store records inside the jackets, but once I used the SC, MoFi Ultraclear, and that EVEO brand on Amazon, I could never go back to the cloudy basic outers like those I bought from Bags Unlimited 25 years ago. Not only do they look better, but they feel much higher quality too. They also slide in and out of my shelves a little easier. The only downside is that if you ever need to momentarily stack some records (I know, I know, I've seen High Fidelity a thousand times, too), they're going to slide all over the place in the crystal clear ones, particularly the SC crystal clears.

How I feel reading this thread as someone who doesn't use outer sleeves....

giphy.gif

I store the record outside the jacket because I’m lazy. Same reason I like gatefold sleeves. Doesn’t require me to take the jacket out to look at all the pretty pictures.
I think a lot of collectors do this for convenience and to protect their jackets from potential ring wear and as lazy as I am my issue is space so I have made removing the outter sleeve as part of the record spinning ritual.

Am I the only one who stores the Vinyl in the Sleeve and with the Top of the Sleeve at the Outer's Opening (for the sole purpose of trying to prevent dust from accumulating on the vinyl itself while sitting on the shelf)?

I recognize that this is an insane practice, given my use of MoFi inners, but I didn't think I was that far out on the OCD spectrum an this discussion suggests.

How I feel reading this thread as someone who doesn't use outer sleeves....

giphy.gif
I was with you for the longest time but the turning point for me was hype stickers. I like the hype stickers and I was saving them inside the sleeve but I felt like that wasn’t doing them justice so over time I evolved into where I am now, when I open a new LP I use my dedicated hype sticker removal tool (hair dryer) to remove the stickers. And then display them on the outter sleeve but then I felt weird only having some of my collection in outters so now they are all in em.

Am I the only one who stores the Vinyl in the Sleeve and with the Top of the Sleeve at the Outer's Opening (for the sole purpose of trying to prevent dust from accumulating on the vinyl itself while sitting on the shelf)?

I recognize that this is an insane practice, given my use of MoFi inners, but I didn't think I was that far out on the OCD spectrum an this discussion suggests.
I'm with you. I used to think, "It'd be a lot more convenient to align the openings of my inners, jackets, and outers for easy access to the LP." Then a record fell out when I was handling a stack. Never again. Grabbing a record to play is a 3-step process for me from now on: Remove jacket from outer, remove inner from jacket, and remove vinyl from inner.

if i'm understanding this correctly, that's how i've done it for the past 30 years or whatever i've been collecting for as well.

I was with you for the longest time but the turning point for me was hype stickers. I like the hype stickers and I was saving them inside the sleeve but I felt like that wasn’t doing them justice so over time I evolved into where I am now, when I open a new LP I use my dedicated hype sticker removal tool (hair dryer) to remove the stickers. And then display them on the outter sleeve but then I felt weird only having some of my collection in outters so now they are all in em.
I think its partly minimizing the steps to play them (and put them away) that keeps me from putting them in sleeves, but also the aesthetic and the appreciation for ring wear / well loved / seasoned records that comes from time. It must come from memories of my parents & sisters record collection. I do have some - maybe 10% at best - in sleeves for the more valuable/rarer releases, but there really isn't a hard method or reasoning to it.

I think its partly minimizing the steps to play them (and put them away) that keeps me from putting them in sleeves, but also the aesthetic and the appreciation for ring wear / well loved / seasoned records that comes from time. It must come from memories of my parents & sisters record collection. I do have some - maybe 10% at best - in sleeves for the more valuable/rarer releases, but there really isn't a hard method or reasoning to it.
Yeah, I was against outers for the exact same reason but my love of hype stickers won out.

Back