October 2022 Vinyl Challenge: Chart Watcher's Edition

Day 14: “Physical”
play a record that marked a change in sound/image for an artist

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis

6839FC0D-CDF8-4826-B537-54AAFB5B8C45.jpeg
Dusty Springfield was mainly a pop singer for the early part of her career but Dusty in Memphis ushered in a whole new sound for her. Her first recording with the Memphis Sound, this album showed a more soulful side of Dusty and is imo her finest work.

Rae Spoon – Superioryouareinferior
20221014_161339.jpg

Rae's three albums before this were all a very light twangy country affair with lots of banjo. This album was a radical transformation from that, introducing electric and electronic sounds to create an epic indie folk album about identity, place and colonial histories. It was also around the release of this album that Rae retired from gender and adopted they/them pronouns. I love Rae very much and enjoy everything they've done before and after this, but this particular album is something truly special. Fourteen years on, it still feels fresh and full of discoveries.

If it weren't out of print, this would have been a strong contender for my Album of the Month pick.

Day 14: "Physical"

I chose this as the first installment of Vinyl Me, D and it's an entirely different animal from Shooter's previous records.

We got a government takeover theme. We got industrial crunch. We got Radiohead bleeps and bloops. We got Pink Floyd wearing cowboy hats. We got a stylistic variance from song to song that works perfectly. We got Stephen King as a DJ. Spectacular...

Shooter Jennings & Hierophant - Black Ribbons

20200722_235739.jpg

Day 15: "You Keep Me Hanging On"
play two different versions of a song you love

One of my favorite songs.

Some Candy Talking

Two of my favorite artists.

The Jesus And Mary Chain and Chris Whitley.

It's sad how little of Chris Whitley's output is available on vinyl. Thanks for everything, brother. RIP.

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Barrowlands Live

Chris Whitley - Din Of Ecstacy

Day 13: Saturday Night Fever

Music From the Motion Picture Angus

9C5301C2-8C70-4FC5-9007-D7AAED9979E2.jpeg

Featuring some of the best tracks that Green Day, Ash, Goo Goo Dolls (honestly, forgot that they once sounded like the Replacements), Weezer, The Muffs, and Love Spit Love ever released. Really nice work by these music supervisors, as the soundtrack played a big role in the movie

Edit: also forgot Pansy Division is on this!

Last edited:

Primal Scream - XTRMNTR

D0BE97F7-B273-4742-9AA5-75230C6E0D44.jpeg

Everyone raves about Screamadelica but this is my personal favorite of theirs, although admittedly this does sound like a completely different band. Completely chaotic record that requires a nap afterwards

NSFW (audio):

Day 15: “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”

“Effigy”

Creedence Clearwater Revival
B13FE280-35B7-48BF-B606-24807AEBDDB6.jpeg

Uncle Tupelo
C749DE7B-EAB5-4EDC-9FF8-02BB508B6D9D.jpeg

Was going to play two versions of “Louie, Louie” but remembered I still only have the Toots and the Maytals version. Which brings me to say that I went to a Mariners game this summer and instead of playing “Louie, Louie” during the seventh inning stretch, as they have for the last few decades, I learned they now play “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore and I lost my GD mind

Last edited:
Day 15: “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”

Robert Palmer "Clues" (1980 Island, canadian pressing)
Todd Terje "It's Album Time" (2014 Olsen)
I love Robert Palmer's "Johnny & Mary" with its subtle lyrics about love, obligations and misunderstandings. The Todd Terje version with guest vocals by Bryan Ferry takes the song into a different and equally brilliant direction. The song is slowed and Bryan's smoky vocals gives the song an extra layer of timeless melancholy. Beautiful.

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

Day 15: You Keep Me Hangin’ On

I chose two great covers of Sam Cooke’s A Change Is Gonna Comefor today! I’d’ve played the original if I had it (or ANY Sam Cooke) in my vinyl collection…

The first being from the year after Cooke was killed, under the title “Change Gonna Come” (one of 3 Sam Cooke covers on the album), by an artist who ranks with Sam among the Kings of Soul…

Otis Redding - Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul

3918E6A9-20FC-4CF8-BC9A-2F69E1684356.jpeg

…the second is from the only album this artist ever made (which wasn’t even complete when he died) and is honestly my favourite version of this song. It fucking RIPS!!!

Baby Huey - The Baby Huey Story/The Living Legend

A5F4FC5C-D760-48EA-8A9D-EA1EF8038E8D.jpeg

Day 15 - keep Me Hangin On

3992CB13-1E1E-4D90-9937-0FA393ED8971.jpeg
CFA91C12-BF2A-41F6-A29D-B64540E53B82.jpeg

Carole King - Tapestry/ James Taylor - Mud Slide Slime

Going with two albums released the same year both featuring “You’ve Got a Friend”. They wrote the song together and both released their own version of it. I think King’s version is better and it’s not even close lol

Back