October 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Let's Get Lexical, Lexical

21. Hierophant - (n.) a person, especially a priest in ancient Greece, who interprets sacred mysteries and esoteric principles

How could I not go there...

The son of Waylon Jennings records a ballsy departure from the usual and makes a trippy record that's just as much Radiohead influenced as outlaw country. It tells the story of the last free will radio broadcast before the government seizes control of all media. Also has narration by Stephen King. And it's really, really good.

I saw Shooter play a bunch of these songs live about a year before the record was released. The look of abject horror on the faces of the 'old guard' in the crowd was priceless. Confusion prevailed. Some accepted. Some denied. They couldn't decide whether to scrape the cow shit off their boots and throw it or smoke it. One of my favorite shows I've recorded.

If you're unfamiliar with this record or blew it off because you're not into stereotypical Shooter Jennings, I urge you to give it a listen. It's an ambitious beauty.

Shooter Jennings & Hierophant - Black Ribbons

20200722_235739.jpg

Last edited:
21. Hierophant - (n.) a person, especially a priest in ancient Greece, who interprets sacred mysteries and esoteric principles

Sun Ra - Lanquidity
20211021_080318.jpg

Surprising absolutely nobody by this point, my hierophant of choice is Sun Ra. This album was chosen because it is one of the least likely to offend my wife if she makes it downstairs before the album is over.

Sun Ra - Lanquidity
View attachment 115348

Surprising absolutely nobody by this point, my hierophant of choice is Sun Ra. This album was chosen because it is one of the least likely to offend my wife if she makes it downstairs before the album is over.
I was waiting for someone to post a Sun Ra album for this word :)

The Beatles "The Beatles" (1968 Apple Records; 2018 Giles Martin Stereo Mix)
A poor hierophant may play this record backwards to interpret its sacred mysteries and esoteric principles. He may hear lines such as "turn me on, dead man" and "Paul is dead, man. Miss him".

IMG_1899.JPG

Only two verses, but the song that launched a million hierophants...

Dark star crashes, pouring its light into ashes
Reason tatters, the forces tear loose from the axis
Searchlight casting for faults in the clouds of delusion
Shall we go, you and I while we can
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Mirror shatters in formless reflections of matter
Glass hand dissolving in ice, petal flowers revolving
Lady in velvet recedes in the nights of good-bye
Shall we go, you and I while we can
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Grateful Dead ~ Live Dead

1634831863260.png

20. Factotum - (n.) an employee who does all kinds of work

Caribou - Suddenly

Dan Snaith does, and plays, it all on his Caribou albums.

20210113_130159-jpg.83683

15. Nostrum - (n.) a medicine, especially one that is not considered effective, prepared by an unqualified person

Pretty sure these bop pills aren't prepared by a legit doctor. Maybe not the best pick since it looks like they're effective at something!

The Cramps - Stay Sick!

15C9B226-59AB-444B-843D-94DE17158FE4.jpeg

Back