October 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Let's Get Lexical, Lexical

19. Sedulous - (adj.) showing dedication and diligence

Is there anyone that has shown more dedication to a cause than Future Senator John Blutarsky?

What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!...

Various Artists ~ Animal House Soundtrack

1634658139341.png

Tortoise - TNT

By all accounts, the recording process for this album, using then-new digital tools, required sedulous attention to detail as pieces were recorded, combined, mixed, remixed, and recombined again and again.

20201012_124413-jpg.70036

Their jazz selection was otherwise very boring, safe and white which made this musty '66 mono pressing an extra sweet treasure to dig up.
OMG, Yes! I know exactly what you mean by jazz sections that are "safe and white". I'm always perplexed when I find this type of jazz section in a record shop; like who the heck is buying this stuff?

20. Factotum - (n.) an employee who does all kinds of work

Playing this in spite of the 80's Glamorshots cover - might actually be the first time I've played it since rescuing it from the bargain bin, but it sure fits the theme. Dolly has certainly proven she does all kinds of work. Singing, acting, running an amusement park, an amazing amount of philanthropy. And it kicks off with these lyrics...

Well, I tumble outta bed and stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
Yawn and stretch and try to come to life
Jump in the shower and the blood starts pumping

Out on the street, the traffic starts jumping
With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5

Working 9 to 5, what a way to make a living
Barely getting by, it's all taking and no giving
They just use your mind, and they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you crazy if you let it

Dolly Parton ~ Greatest Hits

1634744020636.png

Gorillaz "Song Machine Vol. 1" (2020 Parlophone)
Being part of two active bands and also releasing solo material, I'd say Damon Albarn is sedulous.

View attachment 115299

I got this on sale recently because I wanted the bonus tracks. I also own the VMP colored version, which is also pressed at Optimal, presumably from the same plates. But this is weird, I swear the bottom end is tighter and warmer on the black vinyl version. I'm spinning this and decided to A/B because although I though the version I had sounded good, I didn't remember it sounding so good to give me pause. Anyway, this is N=1 on each side so YMMV, but thought I'd share.

Day 19. Sedulous - (adj.) showing dedication and diligence

Spiritualized® - And Nothing Hurt
3B16C399-01E9-4FD6-B4BC-2A41AF7C15C1.jpeg
Regarding Jason Pierce sedulous recording process per the NYT…

“in a process he matter-of-factly calls obsessive, he chose the exact opposite of real-time studio recording. He assembled nearly all of “And Nothing Hurt” by himself, with Pro Tools on a laptop in his bedroom.

“I chose the longest, hardest way,” he observed. “That was not my best move.”

When he wanted a string-section part, for instance, he combed his record collection to find an orchestra playing the right note. “I was getting tiny pieces of recorded violin that I put together to make things that sound real,” he said. “It’s kind of stupid. Hindsight is a great thing, isn’t it? But I did it. There isn’t a single bit on that record where anybody plays in the same room as somebody else is playing. It’s pieced together, bit by bit. It feels like the most ludicrous way of putting something together, and the longer it went on the more stupid it seemed.”

The process sounds like quite a trough but the finished product did end up pretty brilliant…

Day 20. Factotum - (n.) an employee who does all kinds of work

Prince And The Revolution - Around The World In A Day

18009F13-8AE9-459A-A8D5-B732EEF4E875.jpeg
Prince was rarely anyones employee, outside of maybe Warner Bros. (and that didn’t end well) but he was a factotum when it came to making his music, heavily involved in every aspect of creation from beginning to end.

20. Factotum - (n.) an employee who does all kinds of work

Gil Scott-Heron "Pieces Of A Man" (1971 Flying Dutchman; 1972 reissue)
This one is for the ultimate factotum, Ron Carter, bass man playing on pretty much everything. He has 1795 performance credits according to Discogs. And, yes, he plays the bass on this soul classic.

IMG_1882.JPG

Back