October 2020 Challenge Thread: Let’s Get Weird

Day 17: The Simpsons Saturday
Spin an album by an artist featured on TV’s longest running animated sitcom (bonus points if you include a video clip of their appearance)

Bleeding Gums Murphy was inspired by Sonny Rollins

I couldn't find a real clip, but here are some tunes.

Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite

PXL_20201019_132353923.jpg

Day 18: 120 Minutes
Spin something that would make Matt Pinfield proud

MTV Brazil's similar show was called Lado B (B side), it aired from 1991 to 2000 on Sundays at midnight.
My favorite host was Fabio Massari and I've included an interview he did with Bjork in 1996.

C3EFDE40-4591-4793-B3BD-A2675DD0087D.jpeg

Day 19: I Miss Concerts
Spin an album from an artist you’ve seen and enjoyed live (bonus points if you include photos from the live show)

This was not my last concert before the spiky-one hit but it was the last one with my brother.
We loved this band when we were kids and (maybe it's the nostalgia speaking) they still put on a great show. The placed was packed, great vibes all around, it was a blast.

C0B64BD0-B0EB-4E2E-B114-2E5FFA997343.jpeg

312C0866-D076-4BBA-91E7-6471EE8B5A90.jpeg

Day 19 - I miss concerts

Beck "Odelay" (1996 DGC/Bong Load Music; 2016 VMP club reissue)

One show I remember fondly is Beck at the now defunct Spectrum in Montreal in 1996. The show was at this small 500 people venue, shortly after "Odelay!" was released but before Beck blew-up. His next show in Montreal less than a year later would be at the 20,000 seat Bell Centre.

Beck came out dressed in this goofy sailor suit, did his nerdy dances, played some more folky numbers and was completely weird. Well, maybe not as weird as the Pizzicato Five that opened for him. There was this energy in the air throughout the show - you could tell this was something special and that Beck was destined for something big.

IMG_0932.JPG

Day 19: I Really Miss Concerts

I miss the feeling of community & celebration you get at concerts - the Flaming Lips do that as good as anyone. First saw them in 2003 on the Yoshimi tour, and a number of times since. The pic below is from the last time I saw them in 2017 and capture that celebratory mood.

Flaming Lips ~ American Head

1603127548694.png

Flaming Lips ~ May 7, 2017 - Observatory North Park San Diego, CA

1603128113118.png

Day 19 - I miss concerts

One show I remember fondly is Beck at the now defunct Spectrum in Montreal in 1996. The show was at this small 500 people venue, shortly after "Odelay!" was released but before Beck blew-up. His next show in Montreal less than a year later would be at the 20,000 seat Bell Centre.

Beck came out dressed in this goofy sailor suit, did his nerdy dances, played some more folky numbers and was completely weird. Well, maybe not as weird as the Pizzicato Five that opened for him. There was this energy in the air throughout the show - you could tell this was something special and that Beck was destined for something big.

View attachment 70951
Awesome! Beck on the Odelay tour was my first concert ever my freshman year of High School...

Opener was supposed to be The Roots too but they had some issue had to be replaced, we ended up with Califone instead, and Atari Teenage Riot. Regardless it was an fucking great show.

My first concert I was supposed to be The Smashing Pumpkins on their Infinite Sadness Tour in 96 (with Garbage as the opener)...
...But I was getting a “D” in Algebra so my mom wouldn’t let me go (I still have the unused ticket).

Awesome! Beck on the Odelay tour was my first concert ever my freshman year of High School...

Opener was supposed to be The Roots too but they had some issue had to be replaced, we ended up with Califone instead, and Atari Teenage Riot. Regardless it was an fucking great show.

My first concert I was supposed to be The Smashing Pumpkins on their Infinite Sadness Tour in 96 (with Garbage as the opener)...
...But I was getting a “D” in Algebra so my mom wouldn’t let me go (I still have the unused ticket).

I actually saw the Smashing Pumpkins on that tour, at the Bell Centre (it was called the Molson Centre at the time though). I think that show was just a few weeks after the Beck show.

Aesop Rock - Labor Days

Saw Aesop Rock on the Hey Kirby tour with Rob Sonic and Homeboy Sandman. Great show.

A buddy of mine introduced me to Aesop Rock a number of years ago. Been a fan since.

IMG_20170114_215134670.jpg

Day 19 - I miss concerts

Saw Beck at 2014 Forecastle. Jack White & Outkast were the other headliners. That was a great year. Here's my terrible far-away photo :)

IMG_20140720_222033_916.jpg

Day 19: I Really Miss Concerts

I miss the feeling of community & celebration you get at concerts - the Flaming Lips do that as good as anyone. First saw them in 2003 on the Yoshimi tour, and a number of times since. The pic below is from the last time I saw them in 2017 and capture that celebratory mood.

Flaming Lips ~ American Head

Flaming Lips ~ May 7, 2017 - Observatory North Park San Diego, CA

Flaming lips played at last year's Bourbon & Beyond festival. Somehow I managed to sneak into the front VIP section.

IMG_20190920_183031.jpgIMG_20190920_173718 (1).jpg

Day 19 - I miss concerts

This has definitely been the hardest part of the pandemic for me. I haven’t really missed going out to eat or going to live sports games as much as I would have thought. Missing live music has been a huge letdown though - there’s an energy you get in a concert crowd that you can’t really come close to replicating any other way.

Anyway, Black Midi when the played a free show in Madison in summer 2019. Kind of an awkward side stage pic, but you can see drummer Morgan Simpson getting after it. He had his kit perpendicular to the stage.

C523D450-A57E-4E20-9A94-76A927E56D9E.jpeg
E0620CB4-2B1F-44F0-B30E-4B2E8679EDF9.jpeg

DAY 19
I MISS CONCERTS
I can't believe someone already did Radiohead 😂 nevertheless...
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
as I've talked about before, even before concerts became a distant remnant of the past, I didn't really go to any, which I regret more and more each day knowing that I'm not getting the chance anytime soon. the only band i was lucky (lol) enough to see live when the chance was there was Radiohead - specifically at the US Bank Arena, Cincinnati on July 25, 2018 😊 it was an amazing show and a great experience. if we ever get out of this nightmare we're currently in, i definitely intend on making up for lost time and trying to get out to a lot more concerts. i was supposed to see Hayley Williams in June but im sure you already know how that turned out.

as for pictures for bonus points, unfortunately i don't have any standby. this concert was one of the last big things me and my ex did together and so after we split i went a bit crazy and deleted a lot of the pictures and videos pertaining to it, lol. i think i may still have some but they are stashed away on an old phone that is not worth digging up. in lieu of that, as it turns out someone posted the show i was at in its entirety on youtube! so i at least i have some way to relive the memories 😅
20201019_142137.jpg

Spin an album from an artist you’ve seen and enjoyed live (bonus points if you include photos from the live show)
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
A11DE84B-C1C8-4309-9E32-BCACAC877F6B.jpeg
I did finally get to see Smashing Pumpkins live...21 years later during their Shiny Oh So Bright Tour. It was an epic show they played for almost 3 hours and covered all the hits.
314B8F7F-6EC1-4A77-A692-94249FA46ECB.jpeg
3358FB34-7E71-4E7D-BCD1-AA3B9F286879.jpeg
65244A65-D965-43CB-8868-227E6309BABF.jpeg

Since this is turning into a "When did I see Beck" day, first time I saw him was in 2003 with the Black Keys opening.

First concert - Jackson 5 Victory tour at Dodger Stadium in 1984. Can still remember the waves of bass rolling across the field.
I once wrote a review for a newspaper of Reading Festival (2003?) and when I woke up in the morning after to start writing I saw I had notes on watching Beck but I had absolutely no memory whatsoever of seeing him #wasted

The National - High Violet

Saw them in 2018 with the whole family- the Greek Theater at UC Berkeley had a show where kids got in free, so my kids (ages 9 and 6 at the time) had their first rock show experience.

20201019_120906.jpg

Here we are at the show with a random photobomber:

IMG_20180925_194224839.jpg

Well shit @Rip_City scooped me (great minds!) so I am gonna make a second post
Day 19: I Miss Concerts (part Deux)
Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet
1A35927C-CD6E-40A1-94C9-8E1F7BA0625B.jpeg
We were lucky enough to see Stereolab on their recent reunion tour and it was 🔥
A5EA4F4C-AE9F-493B-BD73-C66978FD0422.jpeg
7CAC3C4B-0881-48EA-ADCA-B00EF15FB742.jpeg

Back