Oceanic Members.

Bumping this thread ahead of Record Store Day...

Would love to get tips and tricks from you fellow Aussies (and particularly Melburnians) on who usually stocks the best/biggest RSD hauls?

My 2 cents - Happy Valley on Smith Street in Collingwood. Only has a small record section down the back but it's always surprisingly well stocked. Turns out the owner used to own a record store and gets decent shipping due to the fact he's mainly a bookstore and he adds records to the orders. Check it out.

Any other suggestions? I need that Hackers OST. There's only 2500 copies worldwide so it ain't gonna be easy!

I think you should be OK on that Hackers if you get in early enough. If you’re prepared to camp out or get up and go queue in the early then to the victor go the spoils.

Goldmine Records has a good policy of taking orders in the queue. Before they open a guy comes out with a clipboard and gets your order and they bag them up in a tote for you and you just pay and collect at the counter.

I was first but in line last year but I can say that the first 10 of us were all after something different so there was no issues with stock numbers. It works well for those late arrivals so they get heads up if somethings sold out already before queuing up.

I went to Discrepancy Records the year before which was also their first day of business. I was second in line there and again there wasn’t much of issues with stock levels. They were reasonably priced at then. I did skip them though last year as they’re were charging flipper prices on some stock.
I calculated that I’d have paid nearly $100 more on my haul if I bought from there.

A new record store opened just yesterday close to my place, Inner West Records. I will probably see if they are doing anything for RSD this year although there is not too much I want this year.

I think you should be OK on that Hackers if you get in early enough. If you’re prepared to camp out or get up and go queue in the early then to the victor go the spoils.

Goldmine Records has a good policy of taking orders in the queue. Before they open a guy comes out with a clipboard and gets your order and they bag them up in a tote for you and you just pay and collect at the counter.

I was first but in line last year but I can say that the first 10 of us were all after something different so there was no issues with stock numbers. It works well for those late arrivals so they get heads up if somethings sold out already before queuing up.

I went to Discrepancy Records the year before which was also their first day of business. I was second in line there and again there wasn’t much of issues with stock levels. They were reasonably priced at then. I did skip them though last year as they’re were charging flipper prices on some stock.
I calculated that I’d have paid nearly $100 more on my haul if I bought from there.

A new record store opened just yesterday close to my place, Inner West Records. I will probably see if they are doing anything for RSD this year although there is not too much I want this year.

Which Goldmine did you hit? Fitzroy North is a good one but haven't tried Carlton North. And what time did you get there for the queue?

Happy Valley happy to help customers who email ahead of time so tried that too.

And I'm with you on Discrepancy Records - they gouge their customers like crazy. Won't buy from them out of principle, this habit is expensive enough as it is!

Which Goldmine did you hit? Fitzroy North is a good one but haven't tried Carlton North. And what time did you get there for the queue?

Happy Valley happy to help customers who email ahead of time so tried that too.

And I'm with you on Discrepancy Records - they gouge their customers like crazy. Won't buy from them out of principle, this habit is expensive enough as it is!

Fitzroy North Goldmine is the one I went to. It is the better of the two. I went to line up about 12:00 am I think. i was alone for the first hour or so then me and another guy from about 1:30. People slowly came in dribs and drabs from 4am and then it started getting busier around 7:30 and when the door opened at 9 the queue was about 5 shopfronts long.

I tried the Carlton North store a few years back but they weren’t doing queue orders then. It's crazy small and the first people that got in stayed and browsed not giving anyone else a chance to get in the store. I was standing at the front door for about 10 mins going nowhere. The line went from the front door to the counter which is only about 10-12 people but since no one was moving I dropped a loud “Fuck this” and left.

I forgot to mention Oh Jean Records in Fitzroy too. I’ve popped in there the last 3 RSDs. They’ve generally only had 1 or 2 that I’ve been after but they sell great coffee and have live music too. I stopped in there to refuel on coffee last RSD after staying up all night in line at Goldmine and to grab a copy of Bob Evans Suburban Songbook.

The owner is super amazing and helped me swap my warped copy when the supplier really didn’t want to have a bar of replacing it. He took back my copy to sell as damaged stock and managed to get a replacement which was nice and flat. I thought was pretty rad of him considering the RSD run on that was only 300 from memory.

To be honest, I still occasionally buy from Discrepancy. Mainly pre-orders of expensive stuff. They have Afterpay and Zipmoney/pay which can help ease the burden of purchases. I got the last Bowie box set there for decent price on pre-order. I got the Nora Jones box set for my wife as well as the Mofi Dire Straits releases which worked about not much more for them than if I’d bought them from the US and shipped them myself. I also may have also placed an order for the Watchmen Vol 1-3 this week. Vol 1 & 2 arrive tomorrow and 3 is due in April I think. Even though a lot of their stock is overpriced you just have to be selective about what to buy from them.

Last edited:
Fitzroy North Goldmine is the one I went to. It is the better of the two. I went to line up about 12:00 am I think. i was alone for the first hour or so then me and another guy from about 1:30. People slowly came in dribs and drabs from 4am and then it started getting busier around 7:30 and when the door opened at 9 the queue was about 5 shopfronts long.

I tried the Carlton North store a few years back but they weren’t doing queue orders then. It's crazy small and the first people that got in stayed and browsed not giving anyone else a chance to get in the store. I was standing at the front door for about 10 mins going nowhere. The line went from the front door to the counter which is only about 10-12 people but since no one was moving I dropped a loud “Fuck this” and left.

I forgot to mention Oh Jean Records in Fitzroy too. I’ve popped in there the last 3 RSDs. They’ve generally only had 1 or 2 that I’ve been after but they sell great coffee and have live music too. I stopped in there to refuel on coffee last RSD after staying up all night in line at Goldmine and to grab a copy of Bob Evans Suburban Songbook.

The owner is super amazing and helped me swap my warped copy when the supplier really didn’t want to have a bar of replacing it. He took back my copy to sell as damaged stock and managed to get a replacement which was nice and flat. I thought was pretty rad of him considering the RSD run on that was only 300 from memory.

To be honest, I still occasionally buy from Discrepancy. Mainly pre-orders of expensive stuff. They have Afterpay and Zipmoney/pay which can help ease the burden of purchases. I got the last Bowie box set there for decent price on pre-order. I got the Nora Jones box set for my wife as well as the Mofi Dire Straits releases which worked about not much more for them than if I’d bought them from the US and shipped them myself. I also may have also placed an order for the Watchmen Vol 1-3 this week. Vol 1 & 2 arrive tomorrow and 3 is due in April I think. Even though a lot of their stock is overpriced you just have to be selective about what to buy from them.
Midnight wake up!! OK thats intense ... I'm far too lazy to get up that early LOL. Would consider a 5am wakeup but given you don't know what they have in stock isn't the whole thing a really risky roll of the dice?

Love Oh Jean - always pop into there on RSD and the Kiwi owner is a legend (also a MAD NBA fan so he just plays the games for people in the store as well).

Thinking the day will be something like (and order TBC):

- Goldmine Records
- Happy Valley
- Oh Jean
- The Searchers
- Plug Seven

any other killer stores I'm missing? We're so lucky in the inner north - tonnes of stores!

My wife is from Melbourne, so we'll be moving there! Looking South-Eastern suburbs, so Carnegie, Glen Huntly, that kind of way. My in-laws stay in Beaumaris, so round about there.

Go Demons!
Omg, no way! I only live 10 minutes from Beaumaris - I’m in Parkdale! And Carnegie is great because you’ve got a lot of great food there and it’s not that far from the CBD too! Glen Huntley also seems great in terms of cafes and restaurants too! 👍

That means we can also meet each other! I’ll take you out to one of my favourite restaurants after you’ve settled here! 😋

I can’t believe I’m gonna meet you sometime next year! You can come over to mine, and then we can go out for brunch and go for a nice walk on the beach! 😃🏖

Last edited:
@Lacubrious @AngryVal - I also really like Goldmine Records in Fitzroy North! I love Ben too! He’s so nice and he’s the one who flattens all my records and does such a great job with them! His dog is so freaking cute too, but I haven’t seen it recently lolIt’s so cheap to get my records flattened at Goldmine Records too! ♥️

For future RSD references, Heartland Records in North Melbourne is in my opinion the best place to go for RSD! They have heaps of the releases and charge very fair prices - even a bit cheaper than Goldmine! I love the owner -Paul! He’s such a sweet guy and looks like he was in a rock band in the 60’s/70’s! Love him! ♥️

I like Discrepancy Records but agree that it’s so expensive! Did you see their prices!!?!? A bit ridiculous really! 😳

I love Happy Valley! They always get some cool colour variants of new releases in and stock a lot of great reissues too! They’re an awesome store and I used to go there after Goldmine Records! 👌

Omg, no way! I only live 10 minutes from Beaumaris - I’m in Parkdale! And Carnegie is great because you’ve got a lot of great food there and it’s not that far from the CBD too! Glen Huntley Aldo seems great in terms of cafes and restaurants too! 👍

That means we can also meet each other! I’ll take you out to one of my favourite restaurants after you’ve settled here! 😋

I can’t believe I’m gonna meet you sometime next year! You can come over to mine, and then we can go out for brunch and go for a nice walk on the beach! 😃🏖
Looking forward to it! Avatar aside, it will be good to put a face to a name! Looking to be between March and June next year hopefully. Planning on smashing as many good restaurants as possible, Melbourne's food is amazing.

Looking forward to it! Avatar aside, it will be good to put a face to a name! Looking to be between March and June next year hopefully. Planning on smashing as many good restaurants as possible, Melbourne's food is amazing.
Yeah, Melbourne’s food scene is amazing! Can’t wait for us to go to a cafe and restaurant! We’ll definitely go to somewhere you’ve never been before and somewhere that’s really cool! I’ve got so many favourites!

And you know what will be great too! I’ll take you to some of the ethnic neighbourhoods and we can have lunch/dinner there! We can go to Dandenong and have Afghan cuisine, or go to Springvale and have Vietnamese, or Clayton and have Indian food etc!

Good luck with the move here! After a week or two when you arrive in Melbourne, I’ll hit you up and we’ll go somewhere + we have to go to my house! That will be the best part! Spinning records and just chilling out! I’ve got an amazing vinyl collection too!

Yeah, Melbourne’s food scene is amazing! Can’t wait for us to go to a cafe and restaurant! We’ll definitely go to somewhere you’ve never been before and somewhere that’s really cool! I’ve got so many favourites!

And you know what will be great too! I’ll take you to some of the ethnic neighbourhoods and we can have lunch/dinner there! We can go to Dandenong and have Afghan cuisine, or go to Springvale and have Vietnamese, or Clayton and have Indian food etc!

Good luck with the move here! After a week or two when you arrive in Melbourne, I’ll hit you up and we’ll go somewhere + we have to go to my house! That will be the best part! Spinning records and just chilling out! I’ve got an amazing vinyl collection too!
Looking forward to it!

Welcome to Melbourne (soon) @Thackeraye.

I grew up around Beaumaris/Black Rock. Is that where your wife is from or did the in-laws moved there later?

I now live in Williamstown which is pretty nice and it reminds me a lot of that area but closer to town and on the other side of the Yarra. If you’re looking for places to live you could do a lot worse.

It must be pretty exciting packing up your life and moving to the other side of the world. Speaking of packing are you bringing you vinyl and gear with you?

Touch wood, you’ll be arriving well after we’re out of lockdown here. We should all met up once you get settled. Melbourne Record Club does some great events at some awesome bars in the more bohemian parts of town. That could be a fun night. @NathanRicaud and I were once at the same gig but I didn’t know until I checked the forum, so we still haven’t met face to face yet.

I grew up around Beaumaris/Black Rock. Is that where your wife is from or did the in-laws moved there later?

I now live in Williamstown which is pretty nice and it reminds me a lot of that area but closer to town and on the other side of the Yarra. If you’re looking for places to live you could a lot worse.

It must be pretty exciting packing up your life and moving to the other side of the world. Speaking of packing are you bringing you vinyl and gear with you?

Touch wood, you’ll be arriving well after we’re out of lockdown here. We should all met up once you get settled. Melbourne Record Club does some great events at some awesome bars in the more bohemian parts of town. That could be a fun night. @NathanRicaud and I were once at the same gig but I didn’t know until I checked the forum, so we still haven’t met face to face yet.
I’m totally down for all of us to meet up at a bar! That would make for a really fun night! Also, that’s so cool Melbourne Record Club does some evens at bars! I’m gonna look into that! 😊

Yeah, I remember reading your post about you going to see Weyes Blood at the Recital Centre and I was like “OMG, OMG, I hope he sees my message so I can meet him!!!” 😂

I can’t wait for all of us to meet up and hang out! It’s gonna be my first time meeting people from this forum! 😚

I now live in Williamstown which is pretty nice and it reminds me a lot of that area but closer to town and on the other side of the Yarra. If you’re looking for places to live you could do a lot worse.

She's from Frankston originally, so the fact she has a passport is a miracle. Always makes us laugh that the bad people in Neighbours always come from Frankston! Her folks moved to Beaumaris about 10 years ago, as they grew up in and around Mentone.

I think I might have actually been to Williamstown - I'm sure we took a drive there one day. Really liked it.

Looking forward to the move, it's been a long time coming. We're shipping over furniture and a small library of books, so we are getting a crate and sending everything over. Means all the records will come over, but I'll probably ditch my speakers and get a decent set when I get there. My current ones are from the 80's, and I know I can do better. We also have to get our dog moved over as well...

Looking forward to exploring more of the Melbourne music seen, and looking forward to having some record pals! Only ever seen gigs at the Corner and the Etihad, so will be good to get out and about!

Will keep you all updated with any movements.

Back