NYClub

Academy on Oak is my go-to as I live about 3 blocks from there. Record Grouch is near me too. Face Records is pretty awesome--tons of japanese presses but I have only been there once. There are so many good record shops--some way more expensive than others.

Ah, I love Academy Annex, gotten some pretty awesome shit there both on purpose and by accident. They had a copy of this Alice Coltrane bootleg when I was there one time, I was going to buy a different record by her and the person working there was like "you probably want to get this instead" lol. What a pal. I haven't been to the other two you mention though, definitely want to check out Face Records by the sound of it!

Ah, I love Academy Annex, gotten some pretty awesome shit there both on purpose and by accident. They had a copy of this Alice Coltrane bootleg when I was there one time, I was going to buy a different record by her and the person working there was like "you probably want to get this instead" lol. What a pal. I haven't been to the other two you mention though, definitely want to check out Face Records by the sound of it!
Yea the guys at the Annex are mostly awesome! They also put out some great used stuff. I got the Violent Femmes self-titled (an early pressing) for $8 a few weeks ago. Also gotten lots of great jazz and other stuff. Their used bins are replenished every day it seems.

Face Records is rad. Pretty small shop but lots of japanese pressings of great albums. Prices are a little on the higher side but still fair compared to discogs and ebay.

damn.
Whoa - guess I better go pick up my order that is just sitting there... What do we think - taking the L to Bushwick or heading into Manhattan? That sucks - I loved that small venue and saw some intimate shows just because I preordered an album there.

Whoa - guess I better go pick up my order that is just sitting there... What do we think - taking the L to Bushwick or heading into Manhattan? That sucks - I loved that small venue and saw some intimate shows just because I preordered an album there.
Says they are closing in the spring and hoping to reopen in the summer. Really curious to see where they go as well. I think Bushwick would be a weird choice unless they get a HUGE deal on rent. Williamsburg was probably a good location in terms of foot traffic but I'm sure rent was insane. It'll be really interesting to see where they end up. I hope they don't move too far so I can still walk there! I loved the option to just pick up stuff in person.

I loved the venue too. Was one of my favorite venues in BK actually. So many cool shows for like $10-$15. I regret not going to more there.

Vintage Vinyl is having an auction! (In Fords, NJ)

Saturday: April 17th
Starts at 12:00PM
We've accumulated many, many signed boards and other memorabilia from all of our instore events over the years. The event is free but admission is limited and pre-registration is required. You must be present to participate. We will not be accepting bids by phone, email or internet.

Masks covering the nose and mouth are required.

Auctioning off the Archives 04-17-21 | Vintage Vinyl Records

Auctioning off the Archives 04-17-21
vvinyl.com

https://us-ms.gr-cdn.com/getresponse-hx8aM/documents/21b6b4b4-869c-4fd3-8958-31086bc89b64.pdf

So I'm earning primo boyfriend points and I'll be in NYC over the holiday weekend seeing John Mulaney. This may earn me a record store stop or two. Is Generation still the suggestion for the Chelsea/Greenwich Village area of Manhattan? Anything else to look out for?

So I'm earning primo boyfriend points and I'll be in NYC over the holiday weekend seeing John Mulaney. This may earn me a record store stop or two. Is Generation still the suggestion for the Chelsea/Greenwich Village area of Manhattan? Anything else to look out for?
Depends on what genres of music. Academy in east village is solid. There's also an Academy near Union Square --I wanna say 17th or 19th street?

Depends on what genres of music. Academy in east village is solid. There's also an Academy near Union Square --I wanna say 17th or 19th street?
Academy looks good.

Genre wise, I'd lean away from the audiophile and jazz sides of the spectrum. Other than that a general popular selection or if there is a place that stocks comedy and pop (for her) or Indie and Americana well (for me) I'd be interested.

Academy looks good.

Genre wise, I'd lean away from the audiophile and jazz sides of the spectrum. Other than that a general popular selection or if there is a place that stocks comedy and pop (for her) or Indie and Americana well (for me) I'd be interested.
East village Academy is probably the go to then. The one around 19th has a good jazz selection and CDs but I don’t remember if they have solid selection of other genres. I think east village one is more varied selection from what I remember!

I did end up at East Village academy and walked out with a Merle and an Aretha at good prices. Also hit up Limited to One nearby which had a lot of cool stuff just not quite what I was looking for (though the Brushfire sampler was a neat grab. The Strand finally let me knock Dirty Computer off my want list. Successful trip, thanks for the tips!

damn.
They wound up at Rockafeller Center, making it the closest record store to my apartment. I still haven’t visited though.

Anyone left in the New York City área?

They wound up at Rockafeller Center, making it the closest record store to my apartment. I still haven’t visited though.

My buddy actually picked up a record for me there a few months ago. I had ordered it to pick up at the store since he lives near me and worked near midtown

HOLY SHIT.
This is not far from my office in Mid-town.
Guess I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow.

I work a few blocks away so I visit semi-frequently. My new routine is that, for stuff I want to get rid of that isn't worth the hassle of using discogs, I sell to Rough Trade. Their payout is a little higher if you take store credit instead of cash, so I just bank a bunch of credit and use it for new releases if RT has an exclusive variant, or pricier reissues (like the upcoming Time Out of Mind box). And I will for sure be there for the Sylvan Esso in-store next week!

I work a few blocks away so I visit semi-frequently. My new routine is that, for stuff I want to get rid of that isn't worth the hassle of using discogs, I sell to Rough Trade. Their payout is a little higher if you take store credit instead of cash, so I just bank a bunch of credit and use it for new releases if RT has an exclusive variant, or pricier reissues (like the upcoming Time Out of Mind box). And I will for sure be there for the Sylvan Esso in-store next week!
I used to LOVE the Brooklyn shop. Their little venue was really great. Shame they had to move but probably got a good deal on a long term lease by 30 rock during the pandemic

I miss that old shop. I once made the walk from there to the Academy records aux location. My wallet still curses me for that day.

I miss that old shop. I once made the walk from there to the Academy records aux location. My wallet still curses me for that day.
I used to live 2 blocks from the Academy in greenpoint. Talk about living dangerously…

Back