November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Blackout Wednesday
Play an album that makes you nostalgic for your high school days.

My high school's musical consensus was pretty much the soundtrack to Dazed And Confused. And while lots of that stuff was cool, an angel of mercy turned me on to this when it came out my freshman year. It's had a hand in shaping my musical taste and exploration ever since...

Television - Marquee Moon

20200614_002457.jpg

Gonna catch up to this thread as some family issues have kept me from playing recently.

My in-laws are at that age of needing to be placed in a safer environment as they both have some medical issues that keep them from living safely independently. This move was going to be after the new year, but my father-in-law passed away last week. This expedited things with getting my mother-in-law placed, one is easier than 2. So my wife left on an emergency trip to her parents yesterday....10 days over Thanksgiving wouldn't be my first choice for a trip like this. But I took a short leave from work to take care of my daughter - she's 15 and can stay home alone...but not overnight - and the 2 dogs...who aren't on my overnight routine.

Gonna catch up to this thread as some family issues have kept me from playing recently.

My in-laws are at that age of needing to be placed in a safer environment as they both have some medical issues that keep them from living safely independently. This move was going to be after the new year, but my father-in-law passed away last week. This expedited things with getting my mother-in-law placed, one is easier than 2. So my wife left on an emergency trip to her parents yesterday....10 days over Thanksgiving wouldn't be my first choice for a trip like this. But I took a short leave from work to take care of my daughter - she's 15 and can stay home alone...but not overnight - and the 2 dogs...who aren't on my overnight routine.
So sorry for the loss of your father in law. Take your time....we'll be here.

Day 24: Blackout Wednesday

I really am struggling with this one as my high school years were 2002-2006 and I both really didn't listen to much in terms of current music in that time frame (I pivoted HARD into classic softer rock and folk in my HS years - Eagles, James Taylor, etc.) and was deeply uncool. College is where I really began to dive deep into more current fare.

There was one artist though who kind of melded those two together - I remember listening to this album on a family trip to Hawaii which I'm pretty sure my mom made happen to distract me from a lot of other sadder things in my world. This CD got constantly played for somewhat obvious reasons. I still have a sentimental feel for it so this works. I have an extra copy that may end up in PIF land, debating it.

On and On - Jack Johnson

PXL_20211124_161808279.jpg

Day 24 - High School Nostalgia

This album came out in 1987 when I was in 7th or 8th grade which is the peak age your brain latches onto music. I think it was a double cassette tape, definitely before I had CDs. I remember talking about this album with a classmate while we were out in the field playing flag football for gym class, haha. I thought it was so cool that someone else from my podunk town had heard of New Order. It’s kinda weird to think about how inaccessible music was back then. I still don’t know what W-W-R-L means.

Edit: It's a radio station from Harlem NYC.

B5B76D7D-3141-47B1-A87C-FF41B0C7E0A7.jpeg

Last edited:
24. Blackout Wednesday

Soundgarden - Superunknown

20211124_082529.jpg

I was pondering today's prompt while in the shower this morning and landed on this one, only to come downstairs and find my wife playing it - so I guess she technically scooped me, but she's also not doing the challenge so I'm counting it anyway! :ROFLMAO:

This was the best summer and worst year of my life. But it's the year my musical interests exploded. I was visiting family in the states that summer and rode my cousin's bike to Blockbuster, which had a great CD section in those days, and bought this the day it came out. I made friends that summer who didn't bully me and made me feel cool. When I flew back to the country my family was living in at the time life and family fell apart. I was only 15, but graduated high school, moved back to the states, started working two full time jobs, and it took years of therapy to deal with all the shit that happened. But until I was able to move out and afford therapy I spent a lot of time in Beastie Boys shirts and this in my discman!
IMG_20211124_114914__01.jpg

Last edited:
Day 21
World Hello Day
Play the album you would give to someone to introduce them to an artist.

It's not their best rated album (Skylarking) or my favorite (Apple Venus Vol. 1), but it's one I think best represents the bands work up to this point and some after it, as they changed from post-punk/new wave and creeping slowly to new wave/pop. It's where I tell people to start with this band...and then go back to their first 2 albums if you like what you hear with this and the following few releases.

XTC ‎– Drums And Wires
Virgin – 2473 785, 1979

French pressing w/ black labels

Cut and pressed at Polygram Industries Messageries

MzvTtL.jpg

Gpl24T.jpg

Day 21
World Hello Day
Play the album you would give to someone to introduce them to an artist.

It's not their best rated album (Skylarking) or my favorite (Apple Venus Vol. 1), but it's one I think best represents the bands work up to this point and some after it, as they changed from post-punk/new wave and creeping slowly to new wave/pop. It's where I tell people to start with this band...and then go back to their first 2 albums if you like what you hear with this and the following few releases.

XTC ‎– Drums And Wires
Virgin – 2473 785, 1979

French pressing w/ black labels

Cut and pressed at Polygram Industries Messageries

MzvTtL.jpg

Gpl24T.jpg

"Making Plans for Nigel" was my introduction to XTC. Via Primus, but that sent me to the source. Apple Venus, Vol. 1 is my fave as well!

"Making Plans for Nigel" was my introduction to XTC. Via Primus, but that sent me to the source. Apple Venus, Vol. 1 is my fave as well!

While I usually suggest starting with an artists first album and go from there, I just don't feel White Music and Go 2 are the best albums to start with them...I can see people not really liking those to continue on.

Day 22
Song Title "November Blue"
Play a blues album.

I had something else in mind, but switched it for some reason...I didn't notice this one get played yet.

Nina Simone – Nina Simone Sings The Blues
RCA Victor – 88985317261/LSP-3789, 1967/2016

Cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound
Pressed at GZ

7No9Dt.jpg

5nkjmY.jpg

My condolences.

Back