North Carolina

Welcome back! You’ll be amazed at the changes in the Raleigh area. There are even parts of Uptown Charlotte that I hardly recognize after just three years!

Thanks! I was down in Charlotte a couple times last year for the Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel and Immersive Van Gogh exhibits. Love the CLT skyline, especially at night when it's lit in Hornets colors.

The new (to me) interchange between 321 and 85 in Gastonia blew my mind! The old ramps were the stuff of nightmares.

Thanks! I was down in Charlotte a couple times last year for the Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel and Immersive Van Gogh exhibits. Love the CLT skyline, especially at night when it's lit in Hornets colors.

The new (to me) interchange between 321 and 85 in Gastonia blew my mind! The old ramps were the stuff of nightmares.
Wait til you see Granite Falls - we're up to, like, 9 stoplights. It's an explosion of progress.

Taped this just over 11 years ago. Not too bad for a guy who showed up at the show, talked to Josh before the gig to get everything blessed, fought with security to get my gear in, had to get Hutch to help me out, set everything up, hit record and went to get a beer...

Just found this thread … checking in from Charlotte.
And just found this post... amazing! I'm in Hendersonville. Lady and I are visiting Charlotte this week - staying in NoDa, checking out Lunchbox records for sure. She's a big reader. Any recc's on bookstores and food? Plan on swinging through the NoDa brewery as well.

And just found this post... amazing! I'm in Hendersonville. Lady and I are visiting Charlotte this week - staying in NoDa, checking out Lunchbox records for sure. She's a big reader. Any recc's on bookstores and food? Plan on swinging through the NoDa brewery as well.
Lunchbox is cool; if I were to hit only one place in Charlotte, it would be it. My current favorite is Premium Sound within Tip Top Daily Market. Tip Top is a boutique beer and wine store; Premium Sounds shares about half the space. The owner is really good at curating his selections, particularly (for me) in jazz. It's not far from Lunchbox. Another place to hit would be Repo Records, also not far from Lunchbox. It's tucked away just outside of a residential neighborhood and is the old-school new/used record store in town. Surprising selection of stuff there.

My wife is a big reader, too. I'll see if she has any specific recommendations. Of course, 2nd & Charles could scratch the itch for both of you at once, but I'm not a huge fan given their highly variable vinyl selection.

Jazz at Victoria Yards is a free outdoor event this Saturday PM in Uptown. Jazz Arts Charlotte puts it on and I have been a long-time fan of this non-profit group. I'm sure there is other live music to be had if jazz is not your thing; can try AvidXchange Music Factory.

My wife recommends Book Buyers as a place for book lovers.

For Brunch: Snooze. For Eccentric lunch: Oh My Soul. For lunch/brunch that's more hipster/Charlotte than eccentric: Zada Jane's. But really, you'd have try to go wrong in this area. I don't drink but there's no lack of options in NoDa.

Speaking of NC, is anyone going to the Gang of Youths show tomorrow night in Carrboro? I have a work trip that takes me down there and I conveniently scheduled it to when I can see a live show.

Speaking of NC, is anyone going to the Gang of Youths show tomorrow night in Carrboro? I have a work trip that takes me down there and I conveniently scheduled it to when I can see a live show.
Sounds great - but I won't be able to make that one. Have fun!

Last edited:
Ye olde homestead is celebrating 150 years and having the first annual Boonerang Festival this Saturday.

Boonerang+Lineup+Poster+no+sponsors.png

Temps in the mid 70s and Acoustic Syndicate will make for an excellent day.

Any Asheville/Brevard area record store recommendations? Going to be in that area in a week. Thanks.

Harvest is a good one.

You may also want to check out Records In The RAD. It's owned by Warren Haynes' brother, Brian. It's fairly new and I haven't been there but Brian and his wife Susan owned a store in Hickory for years that was top shelf before moving back to Asheville.

Back