No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

I'm also on a vinyl diet for at least November and probably December too. Been spending quite much on that Prince SOTT Boxset (which is excellent though) and some Mariah Carey preorders. Still also got a few delayed items coming in from my last VMP order before cancelation. So happy to see others are also on a vinyl diet and glad to join you. 🙂

I found the best thing that helps against the urge to buy vinyl is not to check preorders and just to spin more records you already have instead. And to enjoy the wonderful music. 🎶😊

I broke my vinyl diet and purchased 17 Wax Buyer's Club records from a Discogs seller.

So tell the records shops that I am back in town
You'd better tell them to beware
Where they may go or they might try to hide
I follow on and I'll be there

So tell the Discogs seller that I am back in town
And if it's true I do not know
That every turntable around had missed me since
I decided to go

I said this in the Fresh Grabs thread, but repeating here:

I'm now going to partake in a "No Buy November" which may likely extend to the end of the year. Not hurting for money or anything, but I definitely would like to achieve some non-vinyl goals in the next year. I'm starting to realize the concept of having too much fluff, which will hopefully propel me to end up condensing the library at some point in 2021. Ultimately, a period of reflection is pertinent at this time.

I've also set the Pre-Order and Online Vinyl Deals threads on ignore.

Really the only thing I have coming are pre orders. I know the end of year sales are coming but I was able to control myself last year. I have a couple of equipment upgrades I’d like to make over the next year so I’m a little more careful at what I’m buying to listen to. Almost 2 days in to the month and I haven’t bought a record. 🤪

I said this in the Fresh Grabs thread, but repeating here:

I've also set the Pre-Order and Online Vinyl Deals threads on ignore.
jumping out of those threads + new releases helped my purchasing take a huge nosedive since March. for the most part, my only purchases in 2020 have been to support friend's bands and N&G month picks- and by checking out of constant updates, I've found I don't care 😄 I keep finding records I don't think I ever actually spun, wild stuff.

Just came on here to share I've gone 50 days now without buying vinyl. I did get given a record late last month for my birthday (WH Lung, Incidental Music) but that didn't cost me anything :D I've found I spend a lot less time looking around for vinyl online (and a lot less time on forums) and a lot more time actually listening to or playing music.

Okay okay! It’s coming up on a new fresh year!

Do we want to do a January challenge?

Do you have gobs of records that you haven’t listened to? Do you want to stop buying way more than you are listening?

HIT ME UP IF YOU WANT TO DO THIS. Maybe we can do a prize that isn’t vinyl or a donation to your local food bank or something like that.

Okay.

We are going by the honor system here.

Starting 12/31, pull out those records you have not spun at all, as in never. One point each. Honor system.

You get two extra points if it was sealed. Because records are meant to be listened to. For that, I need a pic of the sealed record and then you playing it.

Winner at 1/31 will get $50 donated to a food bank or animal rescue of their choice in your name.

January will be crazy for me so I will check in when I can but be cool to each other.

let’s do this.

let me know if you have any questions before 12/31!

Last edited:
Do you get extra extra points if you play sealed record that’s like 5-10 years old?

Also what qualifies as gobs?

Okay.

We are going by the honor system here.

Starting 12/31, pull out those records you have not spun at all, as in never. One point each. Honor system.

You get two extra points if it was sealed. Because records are meant to be listened to. For that, I need a pic of the sealed record and then you playing it.

Winner at 1/31 will get $50 donated to a food bank or animal rescue of their choice in your name.

January will be crazy for me so I will check in when I can but be cool to each other.

let’s do this.

let me know if you have any questions before 12/31!
oh wow, so even though I haven't been buying tons, 2020-depression me might be able to rack up some pointsssssss for 2021 me. I left my speakers unplugged for months lol

anyway- love this idea and would love to chip in for the donation. time to start cataloguing all my listening failures and start spinning some records!

Back