No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

Save your money! 💰💰💰

Just note all your pre-orders down, and then I’m sure you will start to get excited thinking about them! Focus on the pre-orders you have made, and keep spinning and spend less time on here and on Reddit! Enjoy the summer weather too and love life! 💯

I love that the hardened alcoholic is giving advice on abstinence!

You don't have to spend less time here to spend less money on records! It might help, but really if you're honest with yourself about wanting to diet or why you collect, you can do it. And it gets easier over time!
Mmmmm this is so true actually! This is great advice @scotthilk ! Think about why you collect vinyl and be honest with yourself! 👂⚖️

But I’m being positive about it Joe! 💡🐒

I game some advice, some encouragement and some positivity to scotthilk to encourage him to cut down his vinyl spending 💯

Don’t be jealous of my vinyl my big, exquisite $$$ vinyl spending! 😜

I’m not jealous, no offence but I don’t want your records and have been buying more than enough for myself of late...

It’s more that when you’re sat at the bar downing shots like we are it’s a little ridiculous to think that anyone is going to take our advice on how to stop drinking seriously!

I’m not jealous, no offence but I don’t want your records and have been buying more than enough for myself of late...

It’s more that when you’re sat at the bar downing shots like we are it’s a little ridiculous to think that anyone is going to take our advice on how to stop drinking seriously!
Mmmmmm totally get you! I mean I guess I can’t really tell someone to cut back on spending when I haven’t been! Was just giving some encouragement to scotthilk! 🥊

I have around 20-25 pre-orders incoming and am going to list them down, and will actually try and limit myself to buy only 5 records per month! I’ll actually note down everything I purchase from today, including the VMP ROTM’s! ✍️

Good thing expensive shipping to Australia limits my spending though! I was just about to purchase the Prince Sign O’ The Times Boxset but then shipping was USD$98! 🤯😱

I really need to stop buying vinyl because I’m running out of space! ⚠️ Like I think I’m going to actually delete Amazon, UO and will only go on Needles&Grooves and Reddit a tincy bit!

I think I’m going to only buy from VMP, unless it’s Frank Ocean, D’Angelo, Erykah Badu, JPEGMAFIA etc

Omg.....I have every Blue Note Tone Poet so far and I can’t imagine myself cutting that though. And oh my goodness, the Acoustic Sounds reissues are a must for me! Just so much goodness out there! 😵😵😵

Oh my golly gosh! And RSD is coming up soon too...🤑

Absolutely impossible to limit myself to 5 records a month! I’m just going to try and make extra cash somehow because I’m just so materialistic 🙈🙈🙈

I’m going to try and get as much back when I do my tax return! Like I’m going to claim EVERYTHING! 🤣

Oh my golly gosh! And RSD is coming up soon too...🤑

Absolutely impossible to limit myself to 5 records a month! I’m just going to try and make extra cash somehow because I’m just so materialistic 🙈🙈🙈

I’m going to try and get as much back when I do my tax return! Like I’m going to claim EVERYTHING! 🤣
We’re trying to tell you that you are in the wrong thread.

No rules really other than the don't be a jerk rules.

[...]

I will ask one tiny favor. Some people might be doing this for montary reasons, so please don't share sales, create bad fomo (you know what kind of fomo i'm talking about) or any of that.
There's one rule! Let's be kind and supportive.

I've only just found out about this thread the other day.. and I've posted this somewhere else but the technique I use for managing my vinyl purchases (and making sure I appreciate the vinyl I have) is that I set a percentage of my collection that I need to spin before allowing myself another purchase. So, for example, if you set yourself a 10% threshold and you've got a 500 strong collection then you need to spin 50 of your existing albums before you can buy one more. As your collection grows, so does your threshold. I've found I get a lot more enjoyment out of my collection and a lot more considered with my purchases.

I've only just found out about this thread the other day.. and I've posted this somewhere else but the technique I use for managing my vinyl purchases (and making sure I appreciate the vinyl I have) is that I set a percentage of my collection that I need to spin before allowing myself another purchase. So, for example, if you set yourself a 10% threshold and you've got a 500 strong collection then you need to spin 50 of your existing albums before you can buy one more. As your collection grows, so does your threshold. I've found I get a lot more enjoyment out of my collection and a lot more considered with my purchases.
Great idea! Last night, I actually went through a large portion of my collection and said to myself “have I played this in the last 6 months-year?” For me, music can be very seasonal, and so if I didn’t get around to spinning something in the last year, I’ll likely not return to it enough and thus it’s not justifiable to keep it taking up space. Felt good to list a bunch of stuff on eBay/Discogs and get some money back for things that are just sitting there, and others will enjoy.

It's not the same as not buying anything, but I decided that even though they are albums I love to death from bands I want to support, I'm going to pass on a couple of upcoming deluxe reissues coming out. I'll hold out hope for versions that include just the albums themselves at a regular price, but $80-100 for a few bonus discs I probably won't play often if at all means I'm gonna listen to Nancy Reagan and her astrologer and "just say no."

Back