NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

I agree, but I also don't think it fair to the team for a player to have a contract year and get this great contract and precede to loaf as a player once they get paid. Not saying all of them do. I think Johansen is overpaid but I think he tries, some just get that fat check and precede to mail it in. Can't do that in the real world, why should sports be any different? That is of course, just my opinion.
Eh, I don't really buy that that happens too much. These guys don't get to the NHL without being insanely competitive and proud. There's also more than enough data out there now that teams should know what the likelihood is that a player's peaked, is on the down slope or will be soon, isn't likely to repeat certain performance, etc. I feel a bit bad for the Preds in this situation if only because they lacked a "true no. 1" centre for so long and thought they'd solved the problem not once but twice with those two guys you mentioned (kinda).

Eh, I don't really buy that that happens too much. These guys don't get to the NHL without being insanely competitive and proud. There's also more than enough data out there now that teams should know what the likelihood is that a player's peaked, is on the down slope or will be soon, isn't likely to repeat certain performance, etc. I feel a bit bad for the Preds in this situation if only because they lacked a "true no. 1" centre for so long and thought they'd solved the problem not once but twice with those two guys you mentioned (kinda).
Oh and don’t forget we bought out Turris after trading away Girard for Turris because Turris was going to solve the center issues. Nashville is where forwards not named Filip Forsberg go to die.

The Winnipeg Jets re-signed forward Paul Stastny to a one-year contract worth $3.75 million, the team announced Monday.

Stastny, 35, scored 13 goals and added 16 assists last season. It was his first campaign back with the club after spending two seasons with the Vegas Golden Knights. Stastny played with the Jets for 19 regular-season games in 2018 when he was acquired at the trade deadline.

At five-on-five last season, Stastny ranked third among Jets skaters with a 49.89 Corsi For rating and fourth with a 49.69 expected goals for percentage.

Stastny provides the Jets with considerable depth down the middle, with Mark Scheifele, Pierre-Luc Dubois, and Adam Lowry also in the mix. Stastny was moved to the wing at times last season.

The Washington Capitals traded blue-liner Brenden Dillon to the Winnipeg Jets for a second-round pick in 2022 and 2023, the teams announced Monday.

Dillon, 30, has three years left on his contract, which carries a $3.9-million annual cap hit. He registered two goals and 17 assists in 56 games this past season while averaging 18:57 of ice time, but the 6-foot-4, 225-pound rearguard is known more for his defensive abilities.

The British Columbia native isn't afraid to throw his weight around, racking up 143 hits last season, but he's also posted strong underlying numbers over the past three campaigns.

cropped_Screenshot_2021-07-26_9.48.37_PM.jpg
Evolving-Hockey.com
Dillon will also arrive in Winnipeg with some familiarity. Prior to joining the Capitals at the 2019 trade deadline, Dillon spent parts of six seasons with the San Jose Sharks, where he was often paired with current Jets defenseman Dylan DeMelo.

Winnipeg has been trying to rebuild it's blue line since it lost Dustin Byfuglien, Jacob Trouba, Tyler Myers, and Ben Chiarot in the 2019 offseason.

With Dillon entering the fold, here's the Jets' current blue-line depth chart:

LDRD
Josh MorrisseyNeal Pionk*
Brenden DillonDylan DeMelo
Logan Stanley*
Ville Heinola
Dylan Samberg
*RFA

The Jets could still add one more right-handed defenseman if they aren't comfortable putting one of their young left-handed blue-liners on their off side. The club projects to have nearly $20 million in cap space, but in addition to Pionk and Stanley, Andrew Copp is also an RFA.

Meanwhile, the Capitals were likely looking to create some cap flexibility. The team has $13.6 million in projected cap space now but still needs to re-sign Alex Ovechkin and could add a netminder to pair with RFA Ilya Samsonov. Michal Kempny, who missed the entire 2020-21 campaign recovering from an Achilles tear, could step in and fill Dillon's shoes.

Wow, so shitty of Vegas not to even tell Fleury. He found out through Twitter.

Also, fuck the Blackhawks.
Interesting idea (also via Uncle Bob) that since MAF said he didn’t want to play for anyone that wasn’t Vegas that he might retire early instead of showing up. But then VGK does that. Which I assume maybe could change the math.

[waiting for Fluery’s agent to post something dumb on Twitter countdown]

Back