NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Unrestricted free agent defenseman Keith Yandle is set to sign a one-year, $900,000 contract with the Philadelphia Flyers, reports Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

The Florida Panthers bought out the final two seasons of Yandle's contract earlier this month, allowing him to hit the open market.

Free agency officially opens at 12 p.m. ET on Wednesday.

Yandle remains a quality offensive defenseman capable of quarterbacking a powerplay but doesn't have much of an impact at even-strength.

The soon-to-be 35-year-old had 27 points - 18 of which came on the man advantage - in 56 games this past campaign with Florida. Yandle owns the second-longest ironman streak in NHL history at 922 consecutive regular-season games played. Doug Jarvis holds the record at 964.

The Flyers have drastically revamped their blue line in the early stages of the offseason, acquiring Ryan Ellis and Rasmus Ristolainen in separate trades before landing Yandle.

According to Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports, Habs are about to sign Chris Wideman, Cedric Paquette and possibly David Savard. Stay tuned...

Carolina reportedly signing DeAngelo and maybe have spoken with Virtanen. Fuck them too. This is a garbage league.
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, the NHL is not doing itself any favours right now. Even though I can say I am pretty on board with how the Canucks have handled the Virtanen situation, the fact that other teams will be willing to sign him speaks volumes.

If I were a Habs or Blackhawks fan right now, I would be having some very serious qualms with supporting them. The NHL needs some teams that are willing to step up and speak out about these toxic cultural problems.

The Montreal Canadiens re-signed pending unrestricted free-agent forward Joel Armia to a four-year contract extension carrying an annual cap hit of $3.4 million, the team announced Tuesday.

Armia, 28, recorded seven goals and seven assists in 41 games while averaging 14:42 of ice time per contest. It was his least productive season - on a per game basis - since joining the Habs in 2018-19.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound winger added five goals and three assists in 21 games during Montreal's run to the Stanley Cup Final.

Accounting for Armia, the Canadiens project to have about $15 million in cap space once Shea Weber is placed on long-term injured reserve. RFAs Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Artturi Lehkonen are still looking for new deals.

Back