NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Calgary Flames cancelled their morning skate because of a positive test. Game against Montreal tonight is still on for now, but that may change pending the results of today's tests to be released later today.

P.K. Subban has contracted COVID-19.

The New Jersey Devils defenseman posted a video Friday on Twitter in which he said he has the virus.

Subban was added to the NHL's COVID-19 protocol list Tuesday. Not all players on the list have the virus. Some are included for testing positive once only for it to be a false positive, they're a close contact of someone who has a confirmed case, or for other reasons such as quarantine due to travel.

The soon-to-be 32-year-old missed New Jersey's last two games, a pair of losses to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The only other players on the list are Joonas Donskoi, Philipp Grubauer, and Mikko Rantanen of the Colorado Avalanche.

The Mantha for Vrana and draft picks trade looks pretty good for both sides right now. Mantha with four goals in five games, Vrana with five in four thanks to a four goal game last night. Fun fact: The last Red Wings player with four goals in a game happens to be Mantha.

As a Preds fan, I was happy Vrana lit it up against the Stars. Hoping he can do it again tomorrow.

Calgary Flames cancelled their morning skate because of a positive test. Game against Montreal tonight is still on for now, but that may change pending the results of today's tests to be released later today.

damn, hoping for them its just a false positive and everyone is fine.

also that could cost me 6 games in fantasy

👏🐐
Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby joined some historic company in the NHL record books during Saturday's 4-2 win over the New Jersey Devils.

Crosby notched his 55th point of the 2020-21 campaign with an empty net goal, officially clinching his 16th straight point per game season. Only Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky have managed more seasons with a point per game pace, with 17 and 19, respectively, the team announced.

Crosby also joins Gretzky as the only players in NHL history to start their careers with 16-plus consecutive point per game campaigns.

Crosby currently ranks fifth in points per game among players who have played at least 700 contests.

RANKPLAYERGPP/GP
1Wayne Gretzky14871.92
2Mario Lemieux9151.88
3Mike Bossy7521.50
4Marcel Dionne13481.31
5Sidney Crosby10311.28
With the goal during Saturday's contest, Crosby also broke a tie with Lemieux and teammate Evgeni Malkin to become the first player in Penguins history to record 20-plus goals in 13 different seasons, according to NHL PR.

"He's a generational talent ... he’s in such elite company," head coach Mike Sullivan said. "He’s building a real compelling argument for being one of the greatest players of all time. We believe he is, but with each milestone he reaches it just provides hard evidence."

The 33-year-old has recorded 20 goals and 35 assists in 47 games this season. In 1,031 career games, he's amassed 482 goals and 836 assists while capturing three Stanley Cup victories, two Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophies, and two Hart Trophies.

Former Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw has called it a career.

The 29-year-old winger announced his retirement Monday after 10 NHL seasons, citing multiple concussions as the primary reason for hanging up his skates.

"There comes a time when every athlete needs to realize that health is a priority and a future with their family is most important," Shaw said. "That time for me is now.

"After several concussions, the doctors strongly recommend that I stop playing the game that I love, and for the first time in my life, I'm going to listen."

Shaw played just 14 games this campaign, with his last contest coming Feb. 9. He'll be placed on long-term injured reserve until his contract expires after next season.

The Ontario native, who was originally passed on twice in the NHL draft, was selected by Chicago in the fifth round in 2011. He carved out a memorable career with the Blackhawks and Montreal Canadiens.

Shaw tallied 116 goals and 247 points in 544 games between the two clubs and captured a pair of Stanley Cups with Chicago in 2013 and 2015.

Former Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw has called it a career.

The 29-year-old winger announced his retirement Monday after 10 NHL seasons, citing multiple concussions as the primary reason for hanging up his skates.

"There comes a time when every athlete needs to realize that health is a priority and a future with their family is most important," Shaw said. "That time for me is now.

"After several concussions, the doctors strongly recommend that I stop playing the game that I love, and for the first time in my life, I'm going to listen."

Shaw played just 14 games this campaign, with his last contest coming Feb. 9. He'll be placed on long-term injured reserve until his contract expires after next season.

The Ontario native, who was originally passed on twice in the NHL draft, was selected by Chicago in the fifth round in 2011. He carved out a memorable career with the Blackhawks and Montreal Canadiens.

Shaw tallied 116 goals and 247 points in 544 games between the two clubs and captured a pair of Stanley Cups with Chicago in 2013 and 2015.

Too bad, As a Preds fan, he was a pain in the butt to play against in his early years. He just played on the edge all the time.

Patrick Roy is considering a potential return to the NHL as anything from a head coach to a general manager.

The legendary goaltender recently hired a new agent, Neil Glasberg at PBI Sports and Entertainment. Glasberg represents many NHL coaches and executives, including Mike Sullivan and John Tortorella.

"He could be a president of hockey ops. He could be a GM. He could be a co-GM. He could be a head coach,” Glasberg told Sportsnet's Luke Fox on Monday. “It's going to be situational. That's the truthful answer."

The Hall of Famer is currently the head coach and general manager of the QMJHL's Quebec Remparts. He was previously the head coach and vice president of hockey operations with the Colorado Avalanche from 2013 to 2016, winning the Jack Adams Trophy in his first season leading the club.

The four-time Stanley Cup champion stepped down from his roles with the Avalanche in 2016, citing a lack of input in personnel decisions.

The Montreal Canadiens, Arizona Coyotes, Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets, Detroit Red Wings, and Vancouver Canucks are among the teams without a head coach signed for the 2021-22 season.

Roy's agent confirmed no deal is imminent between his client and any club, and there's been "zero communication" with the Canadiens, the 55-year-old's former team.

"I’d love to give this a shot and see what happens. And if something works out, fantastic. And if it doesn't, we can't say we didn't try," Glasberg said.

"It’s worth taking a shot right now," he added.

I'm not familiar with Turner Sports 🤔

Turner Sports has picked up the remainder of the NHL's media rights as part of a seven-year deal worth $225 million per season, report The Athletic's Sean Shapiro and Richard Deitsch.

NBC - which has aired NHL games for the past 16 years - has reportedly moved on from bidding for a broadcast deal with the league. The network won't carry NHL games beyond this season, the final campaign of a 10-year contract worth $2 billion, according to Shapiro and Deitsch.

Turner Sports hasn't aired hockey games since broadcasting Atlanta Flames contests in the 1970s, according to The Associated Press' Joe Reedy. Its outlets include TNT, TBS, and AT&T Sportsnet, and it already owns broadcasting rights for NBA and MLB games.

The NHL and The Walt Disney Company agreed in March to a seven-year deal reportedly worth over $400 million per season to use ESPN and ABC as league broadcasting partners. That deal gives ESPN exclusive rights to four Stanley Cup Finals and guarantees exclusive rights to 25 regular-season games per year for either ABC or ESPN. It also includes coverage rights for the All-Star Game, as well as streaming rights.

This marks the first time since 1998-99 that the NHL will have two network partners in the U.S., according to Reedy.

I'm not familiar with Turner Sports 🤔

Turner Sports has picked up the remainder of the NHL's media rights as part of a seven-year deal worth $225 million per season, report The Athletic's Sean Shapiro and Richard Deitsch.

NBC - which has aired NHL games for the past 16 years - has reportedly moved on from bidding for a broadcast deal with the league. The network won't carry NHL games beyond this season, the final campaign of a 10-year contract worth $2 billion, according to Shapiro and Deitsch.

Turner Sports hasn't aired hockey games since broadcasting Atlanta Flames contests in the 1970s, according to The Associated Press' Joe Reedy. Its outlets include TNT, TBS, and AT&T Sportsnet, and it already owns broadcasting rights for NBA and MLB games.

The NHL and The Walt Disney Company agreed in March to a seven-year deal reportedly worth over $400 million per season to use ESPN and ABC as league broadcasting partners. That deal gives ESPN exclusive rights to four Stanley Cup Finals and guarantees exclusive rights to 25 regular-season games per year for either ABC or ESPN. It also includes coverage rights for the All-Star Game, as well as streaming rights.

This marks the first time since 1998-99 that the NHL will have two network partners in the U.S., according to Reedy.

TBS and TNT are superstations in the US. They are on every cable package so this is a good thing for Hockey in the US.

Back