NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Games involving several Minnesota pro sports teams scheduled for Monday have been postponed in response to the fatal police shooting of Daunte Wright on Sunday in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota.

Wright, a 20-year-old Black man, died during a traffic stop after a police officer yelled "taser," but fired a gun instead, according to Brooklyn Center police chief Tim Gannon, via CNN.

A game between the Minnesota Twins and Boston Red Sox was the first to be postponed, with the Twins announcing the decision.

The Twins' call is "rooted in safety" after the club spoke with local officials, reports Dan Hayes of The Athletic.

The Minnesota Timberwolves-Brooklyn Nets contest also won't be played Monday, the Timberwolves announced.

Lastly, the matchup between the Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues has been postponed too, the Wild and the NHL announced.

You can tell the Leafs have little experience to know what to do when they're losing :LOL: : don't pull your goalie with more than 2 minutes to go when you don't actually have possession of the puck.

That one seemed pretty lopsided to me too. Caps trying to free up some money for something else maybe? The draft picks seem especially weird since I don’t think of the Caps as having a particularly robust pipeline.

When I saw the picks I questioned it too, but this tweet from LeBrun helped me accept it a little better:

We're trying to free up money to sign Ovi to his potentially final contract but are strapped for cash. Sheary and Sprong have been outplaying Panik so he was expensive and dispensable. I love Vrana and am sad to see him go but apparently he only wanted to score goals and not help out in any other way. Laviolette has been given him very little ice time (10 min a game) and made him a healthy scratch a few games, and apparently it was a problem with other coaching staffs too. I think he's going to be a great player in the league for a long time though.

That said I don't really know much about Mantha. I'm hoping he's worth it. Wings fans, how are you feeling about losing Mantha? Should I be excited to have him in DC?

When I saw the picks I questioned it too, but this tweet from LeBrun helped me accept it a little better:

We're trying to free up money to sign Ovi to his potentially final contract but are strapped for cash. Sheary and Sprong have been outplaying Panik so he was expensive and dispensable. I love Vrana and am sad to see him go but apparently he only wanted to score goals and not help out in any other way. Laviolette has been given him very little ice time (10 min a game) and made him a healthy scratch a few games, and apparently it was a problem with other coaching staffs too. I think he's going to be a great player in the league for a long time though.

That said I don't really know much about Mantha. I'm hoping he's worth it. Wings fans, how are you feeling about losing Mantha? Should I be excited to have him in DC?

I'm not a Wings fan but I can tell you that Mantha, could be a 30-goal scorer, if he ever reaches his full potential, especially if he ends up playing on a second line with Backstrom and Oshie. He's a big power forward at 6-foot-5, 234 pounds. He is a better defensive player considering how well he skates for his size. So in that sense, he's already a defensive upgrade over Vrana.

How are the playoffs going to work this year?
If you're wondering whether the NHL will use the same measures as they did last year, with separate bubbles (host cities), that is unclear at this point in time. As well no definite dates have been announced for the start of the playoffs due to the regular season being extended to May 16.

Yeah, I can see that one. I kind of assumed there was going to be some sort of cash management involved there - not to sell Mantha short, he’s a solid player - but it definitely felt like more than just adding a player.

If you're wondering whether the NHL will use the same measures as they did last year, with separate bubbles (host cities), that is unclear at this point in time. As well no definite dates have been announced for the start of the playoffs due to the regular season being extended to May 16.
No. I’m wondering about the format. Like who’s playing who. It should make things interesting this year when teams who haven’t played each other all year start playing each other.

No. I’m wondering about the format. Like who’s playing who. It should make things interesting this year when teams who haven’t played each other all year start playing each other.
it goes 4 vs 1 2 vs 3 first round for each division....then the winners of those 2 face off in the division finals. That winner faces the other conference winners

After the inter-division playoffs my guess is the winner of the West will face the North and the Central will face the East

Last edited:
Crazy how close the division standings are currently! The East and Central are almost identical. The race for 4th in the West is heating up! The north isnt as exciting but still!

How will the playoffs work?​

The league will have a traditional 16-team, best-of-seven playoff format this year, though it will look a bit different thanks to the divisional realignment. The top four teams in each division will qualify for the playoffs and be placed into divisional brackets for the first few rounds of the playoffs (No.1 seed vs. No. 4 seed, No. 2 seed vs. No. 3 )

The four teams that advance to the Stanley Cup Semifinal (known as the Conference Final in a normal year) will be seeded by their regular season points total, with the No. 1 vs. No. 4 seed and No. 2 vs. No. 3.

This format means, in theory, this year's Stanley Cup Final could feature two teams that typically play in the same conference in a traditional season.

cbssports.com

Nashville Predators defenseman Mattias Ekholm and sniper Filip Forsberg will each become unrestricted free agents after next season, but general manager Dave Poile is keen on locking up the pair of blue-chip talents.

Ekholm - who was the subject of trade rumors leading up to Monday's deadline - has played all 10 of his NHL seasons with the Predators, and Poile said the door will be open for the blue-liner to ink an extension.

"His name got thrown out there a lot in trade baits and different things," Poile said Monday, according to The Athletic's Adam Vingan. "My next conversation with Mattias will be after this year about how he thinks he fits into the future of this hockey club and whether he would like to be here longer, not whether we want to trade him."

Ekholm, 30, has contributed five goals and 17 points while logging 22:44 of average ice over 36 games this season.

Poile also discussed the future of Forsberg - one of the Predators' perennial goalscorers - and the GM understands how critical it is to keep the talented Swede around.

"We should sit down and see what he thinks about his future here and see if there's an opportunity to extend him," Poile said Tuesday, according to NHL.com.

Forsberg has hit the 25-goal mark five times for the Predators and has amassed 382 points through 492 games with the club. He's been out of the lineup since March 25 with an upper-body injury.

"He'd be a very tough player to replace," Poile said. "I think he's just coming into his prime. These are his best years, and I still see the day when Filip is not just going to just score 30 goals, but he's going to score 40 goals."

The Predators have won 10 of their last 12 outings to catapult back into a playoff position after a sluggish start to the campaign.

The Washington Capitals rewarded winger Conor Sheary with a two-year extension carrying an annual cap hit of $1.5 million, the team announced Wednesday.

The 28-year-old has recorded 11 goals and eight assists in 40 games this season while averaging 13:09 per contest. He's posted solid underlying numbers, too.

The Caps signed Sheary to a one-year deal with a $735,000 cap hit while he was a free agent this past offseason.

The 5-foot-8, 179-pound forward was originally signed by the Pittsburgh Penguins as an undrafted free agent in 2014 following a standout NCAA career at UMass. Sheary won two Stanley Cups with the Pens in 2016 and 2017.

👏

Vegas Golden Knights goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury passed Hockey Hall of Famer Ed Belfour for fourth on the NHL's all-time wins list Wednesday night.

Fleury's 20-save effort versus the Los Angeles Kings was the 485th victory of his career. The 36-year-old is among some truly elite company with his latest milestone.

RANKGOALIEWINS
1Martin Brodeur691
2Patrick Roy551
3Roberto Luongo489
4Marc-Andre Fleury485
5Ed Belfour484
6Henrik Lundqvist459
Fleury has a chance to move into the top three this season, his 17th in the NHL. He's showed no signs of slowing down in 2021, posting a .925 save percentage in 28 starts entering Wednesday's game.

Back