NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Montreal Canadiens forward Jonathan Drouin is taking an indefinitely leave of absence for personal reasons, the team announced Wednesday.

The Canadiens placed him on long-term injured reserve as a result.

Drouin missed Montreal's past three games. He was scratched before last week's contest versus the Calgary Flames due to a non-COVID illness.

The 26-year-old has posted 23 points in 44 games this season while averaging over 16 minutes of ice time per night.

The Canadiens acquired Drouin form the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2016. He's registered 137 points in 229 games in four seasons since.

Anaheim Ducks goaltender Ryan Miller is retiring at the end of the regular season, he announced Thursday.

"It was a dream come true when I played my first NHL game, and it has been a privilege to spend 18 years as a professional," Miller said. "I have decided that I am going to retire after the season having been given more time doing what I love than I could ever have hoped for. Thank you to you my teammates and staff, past and present. I'm thankful to so many who made my career possible and helped me on my journey from youth hockey to the NHL. Thank you to my family for supporting me with so much love and enthusiasm."

The Buffalo Sabres drafted Miller in the fifth round in 1999, and he debuted with the club during the 2002-03 season. He spent 11 years in Buffalo and also had stops with the St. Louis Blues and Vancouver Canucks before joining the Ducks in 2017.

The 40-year-old is the winningest American-born goalie in NHL history with 390 victories, which also ranks 14th all time. Miller dominated at his peak and won the Vezina Trophy in the 2009-10 season with a 41-18-8 record, .929 save percentage, and 36.2 goals saved above average. He also captured a silver medal at the Olympics in 2010, posting a .946 clip in six games before falling to Canada in overtime in the final.

For his career, Miller owns a .914 save percentage and 2.63 goals-against average in 794 appearances.

Philadelphia Flyers netminder Carter Hart is out for the remainder of the season due to an MCL sprain in his left knee, the team announced Thursday.

Hart struggled in his third NHL season after putting together a pair of promising campaigns to begin his career. He's set to become a restricted free agent this summer.

The 22-year-old ranks last in save percentage (.877), goals-against average (3.67), and goals-saved above average (-22.93) among all goalies with at least 15 appearances this season.

Hart finished ninth in Calder Trophy voting after a stellar rookie campaign in 2018-19. He followed that up with a solid sophomore season and was excellent in the 2020 playoffs, boasting a .926 save percentage over 14 outings.

The Flyers sit 11 points back of the final playoff spot in the East Division with only seven games remaining.

Anaheim Ducks goaltender Ryan Miller is retiring at the end of the regular season, he announced Thursday.

"It was a dream come true when I played my first NHL game, and it has been a privilege to spend 18 years as a professional," Miller said. "I have decided that I am going to retire after the season having been given more time doing what I love than I could ever have hoped for. Thank you to you my teammates and staff, past and present. I'm thankful to so many who made my career possible and helped me on my journey from youth hockey to the NHL. Thank you to my family for supporting me with so much love and enthusiasm."

The Buffalo Sabres drafted Miller in the fifth round in 1999, and he debuted with the club during the 2002-03 season. He spent 11 years in Buffalo and also had stops with the St. Louis Blues and Vancouver Canucks before joining the Ducks in 2017.

The 40-year-old is the winningest American-born goalie in NHL history with 390 victories, which also ranks 14th all time. Miller dominated at his peak and won the Vezina Trophy in the 2009-10 season with a 41-18-8 record, .929 save percentage, and 36.2 goals saved above average. He also captured a silver medal at the Olympics in 2010, posting a .946 clip in six games before falling to Canada in overtime in the final.

For his career, Miller owns a .914 save percentage and 2.63 goals-against average in 794 appearances.
Good guy. Too bad he couldn’t get that Cup.

Philadelphia Flyers netminder Carter Hart is out for the remainder of the season due to an MCL sprain in his left knee, the team announced Thursday.

Hart struggled in his third NHL season after putting together a pair of promising campaigns to begin his career. He's set to become a restricted free agent this summer.

The 22-year-old ranks last in save percentage (.877), goals-against average (3.67), and goals-saved above average (-22.93) among all goalies with at least 15 appearances this season.

Hart finished ninth in Calder Trophy voting after a stellar rookie campaign in 2018-19. He followed that up with a solid sophomore season and was excellent in the 2020 playoffs, boasting a .926 save percentage over 14 outings.

The Flyers sit 11 points back of the final playoff spot in the East Division with only seven games remaining.
2nd worst season from a goaltender with 25+ starts in the last 25 years. Philly knows how to ruin their players 😁

Also, I would like to take this time to apologize for my erratic behavior or negativity if you will, in the beginning of the season regarding the Pens chances of making the playoffs. Clearly my negative tactics is what has fueled this team through another injury filled season.

The Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the Washington Capitals 5-4 in overtime on Thursday to punch their ticket to the postseason.

The win marked the 15th straight playoff berth for the Pens, a franchise record and the longest active streak in North American professional sports.

The Penguins have not missed the playoffs since 2005-06 - Mario Lemieux's final season and Sidney Crosby's rookie campaign.

Pittsburgh previously made the playoffs for 11 straight seasons from 1990-91 to 2000-01.

The Boston Bruins own the NHL record of 29 straight years with a trip to the postseason from 1967-68 to 1995-96. The Detroit Red Wings' recent 25-season streak from 1990-91 to 2015-16 is tied for the third-longest in league history.

😲💪

Jaromir Jagr appears set on playing professional hockey into his 50s.

The 49-year-old Jagr recently completed his 33rd pro season with the Kladno Knights - a Czech team he also owns - and said he's not ready to retire.

"I believe I still have it in me," Jagr told NHL.com's Michael Langr. "It is all just about working hard and putting more effort. I have to practice harder and avoid gaining weight."

Jagr had 12 points in 19 regular-season games this season. He added 10 in 16 playoff contests as Kladno won the championship and earned a promotion to Czech Republic's top league.

He said ownership duties are the key reason he keeps playing as he battles what he views as a diminished skill set.

"The main reason I am still playing is my responsibility to the club," Jagr said. "If I did not have any, I would not be flying around on the ice here. Because I am embarrassing myself there, I can say."

He continued: "I expect much more from myself and I don't have it. But I am aware that when I leave, many (business) partners will leave the team, too. That's why I have no choice."

Jagr hasn't played in the NHL since a brief stint with the Calgary Flames in 2017-18. Whenever Jagr calls it quits, he's a lock for first-ballot Hall of Fame enshrinement. On top of his success in Europe, he ranks second in NHL history in points (1,921), third in goals (766), and fourth in games played (1,733). He's also won two Stanley Cups, an MVP, five scoring titles, and an Olympic gold medal.

The Kraken have officially been released.

The Seattle franchise made its final expansion payment Friday to formally become the NHL's 32nd team, the league announced.

"On behalf of the board of governors, I am delighted to officially welcome the Seattle Kraken to the NHL as our 32nd member club," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement.

"Congratulations to David Bonderman, the Bonderman family, their partners, the entire Seattle Kraken organization, the city of Seattle, and Kraken fans as the club continues on its exciting journey towards puck drop in October."

The Kraken are now permitted to begin building their roster through trades and signings, attend league meetings, vote on rule proposals, and receive confidential league information.

The NHL expansion draft is reportedly set to take place July 21 and teams are required to submit their protected players lists July 17.

Seattle will begin its inaugural campaign in 2021-22.

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Jonathan Marchessault scored on a power play at 3:04 of overtime, Marc-Andre Fleury moved into a tie for the third on the NHL's all-time wins list and the Vegas Golden Knights beat the Arizona Coyotes 3-2 on Saturday night.

The Coyotes got off to a slow start a night after ending the Golden Knights’ 10-game winning streak with a 3-0 win Friday.

William Karlsson and Mark Stone scored to put Vegas up, and Fleury was sharp through the first two periods.

Arizona came to life in the third period, with Christian Fischer scoring midway through and Christian Dvorak tying it on a power play with 5 1/2 minutes left.

Arizona was called for too many men on the ice in overtime and Marchessault beat Darcy Kuemper from the left circle to help Vegas maintain a four-point lead in the West Division after Colorado beat San Jose. The Golden Knights have won 11 of 12.

Fleury stopped 19 shots match Roberto Luongo for third all-time with 489 wins.

Kuemper stopped 31 shots for Arizona, which four points behind St. Louis for the final playoff spot in the West Division with four games left.

The Golden Knights and Coyotes played a physical game on Friday and the hits kept coming less than 24 hours later.

Vegas dominated early, firing off 14 of the first 15 shots, and Karlsson scored on a one-timer from just outside the crease on a pass by Reilly Smith.

Stone made it 2-0 with midway through the second, beating Kuemper to the glove side after an ill-advised drop pass by Arizona's Christian Fischer at the other end led to a 2-on-1. Stone eclipsed 20 goals for the eighth straight season.

Fleury stopped Phil Kessel on an early breakaway in the third period, but Fischer beat him to the stick side midway through after a puck caromed to the slot.

Dvorak tied it when he skated free through the slot on a power play and beat Fleury to the stick side.

UP NEXT

The Golden Knights open a two-game series at Minnesota on Monday.

The Coyotes host the first of two games against the Los Angeles Kings on Monday.

___

More AP NHL: NHL and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Welcome back Geno!

Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Evgeni Malkin is back for Monday's clash with the Philadelphia Flyers after missing the past 23 games due to injury, the team confirmed.

Malkin has been out since March 16, but the surging Penguins have gone 16-5-2 without him.

The three-time Cup winner is producing below his usual standards this season with only 24 points in 29 games. However, he was heating up before his injury, with four goals and eight assists in 10 contests prior to missing time.

Pittsburgh enters Monday's tilt leading the East Division with a two-point cushion over the Washington Capitals. However, Washington holds a game in hand.

Welcome back Geno!

Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Evgeni Malkin is back for Monday's clash with the Philadelphia Flyers after missing the past 23 games due to injury, the team confirmed.

Malkin has been out since March 16, but the surging Penguins have gone 16-5-2 without him.

The three-time Cup winner is producing below his usual standards this season with only 24 points in 29 games. However, he was heating up before his injury, with four goals and eight assists in 10 contests prior to missing time.

Pittsburgh enters Monday's tilt leading the East Division with a two-point cushion over the Washington Capitals. However, Washington holds a game in hand.

One day late! ;) (phew...)

Last edited:
I really miss when Center Ice gave you both home and away options. At least through my local cable provider. I don’t know if Direct Tv still allows that. Fortunately I can stream the Pens feed.

Back