New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

the amount of dust on his records after the clean really made me think that the guy's house is REALLY dusty. as @kvetcha said, the dust seems to be surface level and would be easy to remove. the air drying does seem to make records a little staticky. but it hasn't been an issue for me. after using the HG i have no interest in needing to buy a degritter or some more expensive ultrasonic cleaner.

I thought it was an Ok review (even commented as such) but did think a couple "oddities." Certainly to start with the title and approach "perhaps its not truly ultrasonic" is a bit of "attention grabbing." While I did/do questions plenty of aspects on the HuimminGuru, didn't think or have reason (necessarily) to question whether it truly was ultrasonic...

But yes I did think his "spread of dust" after cleaning was truly odd.... as I showed, I saw plenty of times where debris was still present (unmoved) but never saw the dust get an "even spread" across the entire disc after cleaning.

I dont doubt his results, but what I am beginning to wonder. more than anything... How consistent is the "ultrasonic" action from machine to machine? is there a possible QC issue or variation in transducers that perhaps make some machines more effective than others...?
Just pure conjecture/wondering on my part.

I had to chuckle a bit too, about his concern about the absence of a "no water" alarm/stop for the Ultrasonic cycle... Anyone else ever "accidentally" run their machines without water? Gotta be WAY distracted to do that, as that little water tank and fill is such a part of the process.

All-in-all, I cant say anything too negative... reviews are TOUGH especially in audio/hi-fi...
I know I have taken a bit of "hate" for my reviews though mostly positive...

Ben

I'm noticing that that dust I saw at the beginning of using the HG is all but gone now after about 30 cleans. I think there was also just some factory leftovers in the fans or in the parts that came up during the initial batch of records because now I dont see that leftover particle I did before.
So this would be another reason to test it out on several old beater copies before I try it on anything I care about?

I watched this last night and thought about posting it here, but changed my mind.
I’m not really sure if it’s even fair to compare the HG to the Degritter.
I’d like to see a HG/VPI/Pro Ject RCM comparison.

And since @Joe Mac won’t do it, I’ll launch my audiophile parody channel next year. Just look for the clown wearing a lucha libre mask. 😁

the amount of dust on his records after the clean really made me think that the guy's house is REALLY dusty. as @kvetcha said, the dust seems to be surface level and would be easy to remove. the air drying does seem to make records a little staticky. but it hasn't been an issue for me. after using the HG i have no interest in needing to buy a degritter or some more expensive ultrasonic cleaner.
Maybe the dust is bigger In Michigan?
I mean I live in the desert and I don’t have this “dust” all over my records after a clean. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Maybe the dust is bigger In Michigan?
I mean I live in the desert and I don’t have this “dust” all over my records after a clean. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Nor would I rub carpet cleaning powder in my records (could full stop right here) and then run it through a closed loop system and act surprised some stuck around.

Nor would I rub carpet cleaning powder in my records (could full stop right here) and then run it through a closed loop system and act surprised some stuck around.
I rolled my eyes hard on that one and I probably should have stopped watching at that point. I wish he would have done the same test on the Degritter.

Some Ilfotol added to distilled water made a marked difference, I think. A couple of trouble records had less surface noise than before. Will do some more critical listening when I have the house for myself.
Photo-flo is basically the same concept, right? Seems easier to find around here as I ordered a bottle off amazon.

Back