New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

So some of you heat the water to 40 degrees? How do you manage that? Heat it in a water boiler and stop before it boils or what`?

Yes, stupid question, but I'm a political theorist...

We don't have one!

I'm not sure it's that important in the end, but you could bring a portion of the water (maybe 100mL) to a simmer and then pour it back into the room temperature water to temper it. 104 degree water is firmly in the 'warm but not scalding' zone.

I'm not sure it's that important in the end, but you could bring a portion of the water (maybe 100mL) to a simmer and then pour it back into the room temperature water to temper it. 104 degree water is firmly in the 'warm but not scalding' zone.
Cheers, thanks. I really need to be fed these practical things with a tea spoon as we say in Norway. Ilfotol ordered and will pick up tomorrow. Will add a couple of drops and let's see what difference that makes! A couple of "trouble" records to be washed again!

I too have been warming the water a bit... and found it helpful.
That said though, I was told NOT to exceed 100ºF (totally an opinion, but one form a well experienced industry veteran).
So I have been starting with slightly above room temp, say ~80ºF.
I also found (my experience) the water temp raises 2-3ºF for every 5-minute ultrasonic cycle, so Im getting an additional 4-6ºF (or so) for a 10-min clean.

I have been warming my water by either placing the jug of distilled water in a sink filled with warmed water (allowing the jug to come up to temp) or placing the jug of distilled water over a floor register (getting to be cold round here, so furnace is starting to run).

Just my .02 cents worth of opinion

Ben

Yes, I also could feel that the water seems warmer after re-using it a couple times. I'll check the temp before the first cycle and after a few next time to see how much this increases.

I too have been warming the water a bit... and found it helpful.
That said though, I was told NOT to exceed 100ºF (totally an opinion, but one form a well experienced industry veteran).
So I have been starting with slightly above room temp, say ~80ºF.
I also found (my experience) the water temp raises 2-3ºF for every 5-minute ultrasonic cycle, so Im getting an additional 4-6ºF (or so) for a 10-min clean.

I have been warming my water by either placing the jug of distilled water in a sink filled with warmed water (allowing the jug to come up to temp) or placing the jug of distilled water over a floor register (getting to be cold round here, so furnace is starting to run).

Just my .02 cents worth of opinion

Ben
What’s the benefit of warming the water?

What’s the benefit of warming the water?
For me the benefit has been noticeably better cleaned/sounding records...
Caveat that with the fact that my water temp, from just having the jug of distilled water sitting in my music room was averaging ~69ºF - 70ºF. So I was, as far as I can tell, working with "less than room temp water" originally, which IMO is less than ideal.

Not saying I'd use "HOT" water, but I DO believe there is benefit to "warmer than Room Temp water," IMO.

Ben

For me the benefit has been noticeably better cleaned/sounding records...
Caveat that with the fact that my water temp, from just having the jug of distilled water sitting in my music room was averaging ~69ºF - 70ºF. So I was, as far as I can tell, working with "less than room temp water" originally, which IMO is less than ideal.

Not saying I'd use "HOT" water, but I DO believe there is benefit to "warmer than Room Temp water," IMO.

Ben
Warm water does a better job breaking up contaminants.
Thanks y'all! I'll give it a shot! I'll try @polypetalous 's method of warming up the jug in the sink.

And to add to the warm/hot water... through talking to various people (manufacturers, reviewers etc.) it seems consensus (ha ha right) isnt so much that a record cleaning machine MUST have a heated bath, but more so its REALLY important to know your water temp.
Being that the ultrasonic action can raise water temp, knowing what temp you are at and IF you are too hot is perhaps more important than being an exact temp to start with.

Again though, this is ALL just a matter of opinion and as well some of this is just "general info/thoughts" to ultrasonic cleaners and not specifically to the Humminguru.

Ben

And to add to the warm/hot water... through talking to various people (manufacturers, reviewers etc.) it seems consensus (ha ha right) isnt so much that a record cleaning machine MUST have a heated bath, but more so its REALLY important to know your water temp.
Being that the ultrasonic action can raise water temp, knowing what temp you are at and IF you are too hot is perhaps more important than being an exact temp to start with.

Again though, this is ALL just a matter of opinion and as well some of this is just "general info/thoughts" to ultrasonic cleaners and not specifically to the Humminguru.

Ben
Yesterday I made another pass at my Koyaanisqatsi with a slightly higher temp at 45c /113f. It’s 180g so felt it could take the increase. It came out fine and had further reduced some crackle I had noted a massive decrease in temperature by the end of the cycle.

I put the water in at 45c and started a double clean. I did go away and come back to it after it had stopped but the temperature by this time was 35c/95f. I would put this down to the lack of a heated bath and the length time to cool naturally.

There is definitely an increase in water temp to room temp water after an ultrasonic cycle, I’ve felt it, but I don’t think the HG really increases the temp of the water much above the ambience of the room. It certainly didn’t maintain or increase warmer temperatures.

I’ll run some more tests on temps and get some more solid numbers.

Back