New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

First time trying a 45 with the adapter. My question is how long did it take you realize that two of the slots were different and not two of the rubber grips? šŸ˜‚

View attachment 124639
This was embarrassingly helpful to me. Hadn't realised it before and it makes things a lot easier. That said, I have just had my first crisis when a 7 fell out of the holder and into the water while cleaning. I immediately dried it and then cleaned it again and it seems fine. Phew.

As to the degassing - other places swear that you need to do it when using an ultrasonic cleaner. I don't know. But I tend to do a 2 or 5 minute clean without any record in just in case.

This was embarrassingly helpful to me. Hadn't realised it before and it makes things a lot easier. That said, I have just had my first crisis when a 7 fell out of the holder and into the water while cleaning. I immediately dried it and then cleaned it again and it seems fine. Phew.

As to the degassing - other places swear that you need to do it when using an ultrasonic cleaner. I don't know. But I tend to do a 2 or 5 minute clean without any record in just in case.
Hmmm, potentially worse problem now. With my African records I've been doing a 5 min clean and then the 5 min auto cycle. When I just came down after the clean cycle the water tank was 1/4 full (it obviously should be empty). Poured it back in and as soon as the auto cycle started it lost 1/4 of the water. Mystifying why it's only that amount. On the auto cycle it was like a torrent, then it stopped. I'm now doing another auto and it's just continuously dripping.

Double EDIT: cleaning the filter appeared to help and it didn't drain in straight away but I've come down again to another clean cycle to find 1/3 of the water tank full. Time to contact HG.

Last edited:

I just struggle to understand why there would be a large amount of dissolved gases when you originally purchase the water and that any amount of agitation ( i.e. pumping out and then pouring the water back into the machine) wouldn't introduce a similar amount of gases.

I just struggle to understand why there would be a large amount of dissolved gases when you originally purchase the water and that any amount of agitation ( i.e. pumping out and then pouring the water back into the machine) wouldn't introduce a similar amount of gases.
I can't pretend to understand the science at all but seen it in lots of places. A quick Google eg brought up this What is ultrasonic degassing? How to degas ultrasonic cleaning tanks | Best Technology

Hmmm, potentially worse problem now. With my African records I've been doing a 5 min clean and then the 5 min auto cycle. When I just came down after the clean cycle the water tank was 1/4 full (it obviously should be empty). Poured it back in and as soon as the auto cycle started it lost 1/4 of the water. Mystifying why it's only that amount. On the auto cycle it was like a torrent, then it stopped. I'm now doing another auto and it's just continuously dripping.

Double EDIT: cleaning the filter appeared to help and it didn't drain in straight away but I've come down again to another clean cycle to find 1/3 of the water tank full. Time to contact HG.
Yikes, I hope they get you fixed up. Please keep us in the loop.

Are you talking about the filter at the bottom of the main chamber?

Yikes, I hope they get you fixed up. Please keep us in the loop.

Are you talking about the filter at the bottom of the main chamber?
That's what I've taken out and cleaned (for the first time). Doing that seems to help. It hasn't leaked for 5 mins now after the second time of taking it out. No obvious trigger for it happening though. Just been cleaning records the same way as ever. At one point it was absolutely gushing out...

But a bottle of distilled or de-ionised water isnā€™t from a pressurised source. It has effectively been sitting for days/weeks/months in a plastic container and thus it should have effectively de gassed itself?
Yes, probably only if you're adding something like G-sonic/Tergitol/whatever

That's what I've taken out and cleaned (for the first time). Doing that seems to help. It hasn't leaked for 5 mins now after the second time of taking it out. No obvious trigger for it happening though. Just been cleaning records the same way as ever. At one point it was absolutely gushing out...
I wonder if when your 7" record fell into the cleaning reservoir it might have dislodged that filter at the bottom, or in some other way affected the system that holds/drains the water? Hope you've got it sorted now.

I wonder if when your 7" record fell into the cleaning reservoir it might have dislodged that filter at the bottom, or in some other way affected the system that holds/drains the water? Hope you've got it sorted now.
Definitely a possibility. Seems to have calmed down now after the second time of taking out the filter so I suspect you're right. Was a bit dramatic/worrying but hopefully all's good now. I'm away for a few days now so will test it again towards end of next week.
EDIT: no, it's started gushing out again now on the last clean of the day. Hmmm

Last edited:
I can't pretend to understand the science at all but seen it in lots of places. A quick Google eg brought up this What is ultrasonic degassing? How to degas ultrasonic cleaning tanks | Best Technology
I understand the degassing part, I just think that at least some gas will be reintroduced every time you agitate it again, as in pumping and pouring. Maybe it would be less than from tap but I'm not sure. But it seems to me that if you are worried about degassing, you may want to do it every time you pour the water back in. Would be interested to see if anyone addressed that.

I understand the degassing part, I just think that at least some gas will be reintroduced every time you agitate it again, as in pumping and pouring. Maybe it would be less than from tap but I'm not sure. But it seems to me that if you are worried about degassing, you may want to do it every time you pour the water back in. Would be interested to see if anyone addressed that.
On SHF I saw one guy suggest that due to how the ultrasonic sensors were it was better to degas with a record in. In that case, if you clean it long enough (especially a clean then an auto as I do for my African records) you're essentially doing that.

Definitely a possibility. Seems to have calmed down now after the second time of taking out the filter so I suspect you're right. Was a bit dramatic/worrying but hopefully all's good now. I'm away for a few days now so will test it again towards end of next week.
EDIT: no, it's started gushing out again now on the last clean of the day. Hmmm
Sad update is that I gave it 15-20 mins first with water in the main compartment and no water tank in, and then with the water tank in and nothing leaked. So then I tried with a record and as soon as it started 1/3 of the water came out. It must be something to do with the record rotating by the water filter. I've contacted HG in any case.

EDIT I tested further with a LP, then a 7, then a LP, and another 7 - and the problems occur every time with the 7 and the adapter but not at all with the LP. I'd decided to do my first batch of 12-15 7s this afternoon (rather than slipping the odd one into a pile of LPs). Interested to hear what HG have to say.

Last edited:
Is everyone using a custom field in discogs to keep track of which records they cleaned/when or is there a better way?

I sure wish Discogs would allow you to sort on custom fields.

Alternatively, you could export your collection and highlight albums as you complete them. Or go alphabetically and remember which album you left off on (cleaning new stuff as it comes in - this is actually what I did way back when I got a RCM; I don't plan on going through my whole collection with the HG).

Ok, so I have cleaned about 10 LPs, a mix of some old pressings and some new that I remembered having some pops and crackle.
I'm very satisfied so far. My used copies of PIL (Album), Muddy Waters (Hard Again) and Dexys Midnight Runners (Searching for the Young Soul Rebels) sound flawless now. I'm not kidding.
And old copy of Tom Waits' Rain Dogs didn't fare so well but it's pretty beat up to begin with, so I didn't have any great expectations.
I cleaned 4 Babasonicos albums that I bought new but had some pretty loud pops, they needed a bit more cleaning time but, now the pops are gone.
I'm using a drop of G-sonic in the water tank.

Back