New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Making my way through this thread and leaning towards a purchase on November 16th.

Some of you know my records (around 420 of them) have been sitting untouched for several years after a heatwave warped a chunk of them. The goal was to optimize conditions for naturally straightening them back over time.

Being in a desert and highway adjacent apartmenit's, it's also hella dusty here and and so it seemed pointless to continue collecting until I moved again. Only thing is my place is large and rent controlled in a part of the city where that is rare and rent is rapidly rising. So I've held onto this pad for longer than expected.

But now I'm moving to Chicago so I just went through the process of checking every single vinyl for warps, changing to travel based sleeves and observing how much dust was on them from years of inactivity.

I concur that the Spin Clean is a great starter kit for a new collector or someone on a careful or budget (as I often was and still sort of am). BUT it's also way too time consuming to clean an entire 0400+ LP collection. And the drying process is prone to occasionally scratching a record or leaving lint behind.

More importantly, I'm also gonna be utilizing the vinyl flat regularly for awhile. So this seems like the perfect investment even if I'd prefer it's price lay closer to $200.

This is Omar by the way...

Attachments

• 20210901_165746.jpg
    20210901_165746.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
This honestly might tempt me but I heard about the dangers of cheap ultrasonics.. I just haven't cleaned my records in a while (literally 3 months of rotms but listened to yet because i keep delaying cleaning)

I concur that the Spin Clean is a great starter kit for a new collector or someone on a careful or budget (as I often was and still sort of am). BUT it's also way too time consuming to clean an entire 0400+ LP collection. And the drying process is prone to occasionally scratching a record or leaving lint behind.
Absolute same.. it's frustrating to clean and I dunno how long to use the rag or anything because it's all complicated.. I haven't been listening to vinyl nearly as much partially because of it and streaming more new music

This honestly might tempt me but I heard about the dangers of cheap ultrasonics.. I just haven't cleaned my records in a while (literally 3 months of rotms but listened to yet because i keep delaying cleaning)
The HumminGuru is the only dedicated ultrasonic record cleaner in its price range, and I wouldn't say $400+ is cheap. Otherwise you are looking at a general purpose ultrasonic cleaner paired with a 3D-printed motorized attachment for the records, which isn't a fair comparison.

Some questions--
A) What did the price come to in the U.S. after tax?
B) It seems like shipping is taking a couple of weeks?
C) How heavy in this thing?
D) Somebody said replacement parts are possible?

casually stumbling in this thread and this looks very cool. Is there some place to buy this online that isn't the kickstarter? or is it only there for now. I have a spin clean that I hate using because it's a PITA to set everything up. Spend like 2 hours to only clean like 2 dozen records.

casually stumbling in this thread and this looks very cool. Is there some place to buy this online that isn't the kickstarter? or is it only there for now. I have a spin clean that I hate using because it's a PITA to set everything up. Spend like 2 hours to only clean like 2 dozen records.

This is slower it’s about 15 mins a record for the longest clean and dry but it’s much less standing over it doing stuff because you just start it and it t goes on its merry way. The general pre sale is 18th nov I think.

Some questions--
A) What did the price come to in the U.S. after tax?
B) It seems like shipping is taking a couple of weeks?
C) How heavy in this thing?
D) Somebody said replacement parts are possible?
A) via the Kickstarter it cost $340 plus another $20 for some accessories added later. This was the per unit cost when buying 2 units shipped, all in.

B) it took 5 days to ship from China to San Francisco

C) it’s not very heavy, maybe 9-10 pounds

D) the $20 extra I paid was for extra water filters and air filters, there was an option to buy an additional water tank but that didn’t seem necessary at this time.

All that being said, this is SO easy to use (I would dread breaking out my spin clean as I was always afraid I was doing more harm than good) and have spent the better part of Saturday and Sunday cleaning 40 or so records while doing other things. Basically hit a button and come back to it 15 minutes later to a clean and dry record.

A) via the Kickstarter it cost $340 plus another $20 for some accessories added later. This was the per unit cost when buying 2 units shipped, all in.

D) the $20 extra I paid was for extra water filters and air filters, there was an option to buy an additional water tank but that didn’t seem necessary at this time.

All that being said, this is SO easy to use (I would dread breaking out my spin clean as I was always afraid I was doing more harm than good) and have spent the better part of Saturday and Sunday cleaning 40 or so records while doing other things. Basically hit a button and come back to it 15 minutes later to a clean and dry record.
Pretty much this. Keep in mind that Kickstarter orders were a bit cheaper than presales/official sale prices.

Also, the roller units (similar to those on a Spin Clean) are removable and replaceable.

So how's the sound improvement? Loving it and seeing as much improvement as @Joe Mac ?

This is slower it’s about 15 mins a record for the longest clean and dry but it’s much less standing over it doing stuff because you just start it and it t goes on its merry way. The general pre sale is 18th nov I think.

Yup this is exactly why I hate using my spin clean and why this seems super appealing. I admittedly rarely clean new records before spinning. I make an effort to clean with my spin clean a few times each winter. But it's a pain because I don't have a nice setup to do it and need to move around a lot of stuff on my kitchen table. I think I'm up to the "E" records in my collection that are clean, but everything else, including any new "A" through "E" records just get played as is.

B) it took 5 days to ship from China to San Francisco.

Thanks for all this. Definitely buying when it goes public on the 16th. That shipping timeline means it would get here before I leave for Chicago. And it doesn't seem like it'd take up much space in my ubox.

And ya, I agree that I have a sneaking suspicion that my Spin Clean often results in some scratches as I've alluded to elsewhere in this thread. Definitely cleans the records though.

Back