New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Alright. First problem ever with the HG after 2 years of good solid use. One of the nozzles on the inside is leaking so my water slowly drains during the cleaning process. Not the worst problem in the world but a problem nonetheless.

Anyone experience this? Know the fix? Figure I’ll start here and then hit up the company if no one else has fixed this issue before.
Is the water draining into the tank, or onto the supporting surface?

Alright. First problem ever with the HG after 2 years of good solid use. One of the nozzles on the inside is leaking so my water slowly drains during the cleaning process. Not the worst problem in the world but a problem nonetheless.

Anyone experience this? Know the fix? Figure I’ll start here and then hit up the company if no one else has fixed this issue before.
This happens to me when cleaning 7s and was due to me overfilling the water to ensure the record was actually washed. During a double clean I'd lose about 1/2 the tank of water. Hasn't happened when cleaning a LP. (Solution, sadly, was to stop cleaning 7s mostly).

Is the water draining into the tank, or onto the supporting surface?
Drips onto the surface interior where the tank goes but into the tank when I pop it back in. It starts as soon as I fill up the basin.
This happens to me when cleaning 7s and was due to me overfilling the water to ensure the record was actually washed. During a double clean I'd lose about 1/2 the tank of water. Hasn't happened when cleaning a LP. (Solution, sadly, was to stop cleaning 7s mostly).
I haven’t done a 7inch in awhile this is just on 12’s but I’ll double check how much water im putting in

It’s only happening on the left side nozzle when you look into the interior cavity but not the right. Going to probably pop open the body. Hopefully it’s as simple as changing out a part.

Drips onto the surface interior where the tank goes but into the tank when I pop it back in. It starts as soon as I fill up the basin.

I haven’t done a 7inch in awhile this is just on 12’s but I’ll double check how much water im putting in

It’s only happening on the left side nozzle when you look into the interior cavity but not the right. Going to probably pop open the body. Hopefully it’s as simple as changing out a part.
Report back. Would be good to know how the machine responds to normal wear and tear.

ComfortableVacantHousefly-size_restricted.gif

After poking around, cleaning the filter inside the basin and opening it up I didnt notice anything too odd about it. i even referenced other videos to compare what the inside of the machines looked like and didnt notice anything going on. So in the process I got the idea to use one of those baby nose passage cleaner squeeze tube things and used in in the area where the water would flow out into trap. I pulled out some gunk apparently because the next round I did the drip stopped. Maybe there was just enough debris lodged in there that lodged some water into the tube and caused the drip.

Not too sure what was going on there, but if you notice a drip in the future I'd try just a general maintenance clean and making sure the seals around the passages where water flows are sealed and secure because it could be very simple to maintain and correct.

ComfortableVacantHousefly-size_restricted.gif

After poking around, cleaning the filter inside the basin and opening it up I didnt notice anything too odd about it. i even referenced other videos to compare what the inside of the machines looked like and didnt notice anything going on. So in the process I got the idea to use one of those baby nose passage cleaner squeeze tube things and used in in the area where the water would flow out into trap. I pulled out some gunk apparently because the next round I did the drip stopped. Maybe there was just enough debris lodged in there that lodged some water into the tube and caused the drip.

Not too sure what was going on there, but if you notice a drip in the future I'd try just a general maintenance clean and making sure the seals around the passages where water flows are sealed and secure because it could be very simple to maintain and correct.
That's great to hear! Thank you for the update.

I never rinse with the HG and can’t say I’ve noticed any side effects

I finally pulled the trigger a few days ago and was happy to see you and a few others using Tergitol as i've been using that for as long as I can remember with my VPI so I was planning on using that until it gets low and then buying some G-Sonic to see if I can notice a difference.

I have just two quick questions for you or anyone that's used it for awhile as I trust people here much more then random reviews or Youtube. I seen several people just always going with the 5 minute deep clean? I have no problem doing this over the 2 minute clean but on brand new records do you really see much of a difference between the two?

My biggest question though is for the dirtier records.. I seen in some reviews this having a bit of a tougher time with those (or finger prints).. So do you do any kind of pre-clean or just throw it in there regardless of how dirty it is (no reviews I seen mentioned using Tergitol so I was hoping that might be the wild card that changes things for the better)? I'd think on a dirtier record the tank might need to be switched after just 1 record so it might be worth doing a quick manual clean and then let the Guru perfect the clean?

I finally pulled the trigger a few days ago and was happy to see you and a few others using Tergitol as i've been using that for as long as I can remember with my VPI so I was planning on using that until it gets low and then buying some G-Sonic to see if I can notice a difference.

I have just two quick questions for you or anyone that's used it for awhile as I trust people here much more then random reviews or Youtube. I seen several people just always going with the 5 minute deep clean? I have no problem doing this over the 2 minute clean but on brand new records do you really see much of a difference between the two?

My biggest question though is for the dirtier records.. I seen in some reviews this having a bit of a tougher time with those (or finger prints).. So do you do any kind of pre-clean or just throw it in there regardless of how dirty it is (no reviews I seen mentioned using Tergitol so I was hoping that might be the wild card that changes things for the better)? I'd think on a dirtier record the tank might need to be switched after just 1 record so it might be worth doing a quick manual clean and then let the Guru perfect the clean?
i just always do the longer clean and dry cycles. haven't done any kind of testing with it at all. i'm sure others here have though!

if a record is FILTHY (like i bought it for $1 at a flea market dirty), then I run it through the VPI first. But I think I might have done that twice since I got the HG.

I had planned to use my squeaky clean ahead of the HG for dirty thrift finds but I have not run into anything I felt the HG alone couldn't handle and have been happy with the results.

The biggest benefit I find in the HG is the ability to do other things while cleaning. Thus my sessions may take all day but I get plenty of other things done with the HG really only running in spurts. Since time is no longer an impediment I run the long clean first then the clean/dry combo cycle.

i just always do the longer clean and dry cycles. haven't done any kind of testing with it at all. i'm sure others here have though!

if a record is FILTHY (like i bought it for $1 at a flea market dirty), then I run it through the VPI first. But I think I might have done that twice since I got the HG.

Yeah, re-reading my post and i'm just overthinking things a bit on that first Q haha.. I'll just roll with the longer cycles as well since it's not much difference anyways.

That's good to hear! I don't buy many super dirty records at all but I got quite a few of my dads collection in boxes I still need to clean and a lot were from his DJ'ing days so some I come across are pretty damn dirty! I'll probably just go your route and throw them in the VPI first on those few then.

I had planned to use my squeaky clean ahead of the HG for dirty thrift finds but I have not run into anything I felt the HG alone couldn't handle and have been happy with the results.

The biggest benefit I find in the HG is the ability to do other things while cleaning. Thus my sessions may take all day but I get plenty of other things done with the HG really only running in spurts. Since time is no longer an impediment I run the long clean first then the clean/dry combo cycle.

Just saw your reply as I was about to hit enter. I love hearing your guy's replies, it's getting me more pumped on finally getting the Guru!

Yeah, I was getting a bit burnt out honestly using my VPI with less free time lately where I could devote hours at a time since you couldn't ever just leave it. This is another valid reason why you might as well just go with the longer clean since you can just walk away for a few while it does its thing!

Thanks for the quick replies guys! You pretty much put to rest the couple of issues I was wondering about so now it's time to just wait until it arrives...........

Yeah, re-reading my post and i'm just overthinking things a bit on that first Q haha.. I'll just roll with the longer cycles as well since it's not much difference anyways.

That's good to hear! I don't buy many super dirty records at all but I got quite a few of my dads collection in boxes I still need to clean and a lot were from his DJ'ing days so some I come across are pretty damn dirty! I'll probably just go your route and throw them in the VPI first on those few then.

Just saw your reply as I was about to hit enter. I love hearing your guy's replies, it's getting me more pumped on finally getting the Guru!

Yeah, I was getting a bit burnt out honestly using my VPI with less free time lately where I could devote hours at a time since you couldn't ever just leave it. This is another valid reason why you might as well just go with the longer clean since you can just walk away for a few while it does its thing!

Thanks for the quick replies guys! You pretty much put to rest the couple of issues I was wondering about so now it's time to just wait until it arrives...........
i completely relate to your last part there. i didn't have a good place to leave the giant VPI set up, so was lugging it in and out of a closet any time i wanted to clean stuff and it was a big to-do. those things are HEAVY.

the HG fits in a kallax and is real light. super easy to pack away and pull out. and like @debianlinux said, you just press some buttons and walk away. you don't have to sit there while holding a brush or whatever to clean an album. frees up more time (also partially why i run the longer cycles!). i can just drop a record in while i'm working or doing stuff around the house then pop back when i have a chance to swap the record out.

i completely relate to your last part there. i didn't have a good place to leave the giant VPI set up, so was lugging it in and out of a closet any time i wanted to clean stuff and it was a big to-do. those things are HEAVY.

the HG fits in a kallax and is real light. super easy to pack away and pull out. and like @debianlinux said, you just press some buttons and walk away. you don't have to sit there while holding a brush or whatever to clean an album. frees up more time (also partially why i run the longer cycles!). i can just drop a record in while i'm working or doing stuff around the house then pop back when i have a chance to swap the record out.

Yeah, i'm def. ready to store my VPI somewhere else once this arrives to free up some much needed space! All that you said is very true plus just how loud it is as well. It did an awesome job for years but it's time to move on.

Ah nice! I was actually hoping it would fit but wasn't positive if the dimensions included the top being on so that's another plus as long as I can consistently leave a Kallax section open for it 😬

Can’t address the Tergitol questions, but as far as cycles go, I always go with 5-minute clean and 5-minute dry. I figure the extra cleaning time can’t hurt, and I’ve experimented and found that the rare droplets left on a record after 5 minutes of drying are still going to be there after 10. And since it’s a rare occasion to begin with, the extra 5 minutes of drying time definitely aren’t worth it for me.

As for dirty records, I just use some Audio Intelligence Vinyl Solution and a microfiber cloth to get the visible stuff off, then 5 and 5 in the HG. (Sometimes just the cloth to remove visible dust). And this isn’t because I think the HG needs help cleaning the record, but because I don’t want to muck up the water any more than I have to since I’m typically cleaning 20-30 records per batch.

So yeah, don’t overthink it. Just let yourself be wowed. :D

I've got in the habit of splitting how I clean records - new releases (unless they're filthy) just get the auto 5 min clean/dry cycle. Second hand releases get an extra 5 min clean only. And records that I really care about / are noisy etc I might add one or two more cleans. I've never A/B tested it but happy with the results. And I use Tergitol - works v well (I tend to give the first record of the session an extra 5 min clean after reading about degassing).

Yeah, i'll def. be adopting that idea of just doing a quick manual wipe/clean on the dirtier ones prior to throwing it in the Guru! Working smarter, not harder is a motto I can follow :D

You guys are awesome! Pretty much killed most of what I was planning to test out and got me feeling like a veteran before I even have one. It's going to feel nice to do some heavy cleaning again because I got a hell of a backlog to catch up on! It will hopefully also help get me back in the PIF thread which i've been wanting to do for like a year now haha

I've got in the habit of splitting how I clean records - new releases (unless they're filthy) just get the auto 5 min clean/dry cycle. Second hand releases get an extra 5 min clean only. And records that I really care about / are noisy etc I might add one or two more cleans. I've never A/B tested it but happy with the results. And I use Tergitol - works v well (I tend to give the first record of the session an extra 5 min clean after reading about degassing).
This is pretty much me. I save the two-minute cycle for records I know have been wet-cleaned before (aka on my Squeaky Clean at some point in the past).

This is pretty much me. I save the two-minute cycle for records I know have been wet-cleaned before (aka on my Squeaky Clean at some point in the past).
Same.
  • 2 mins for previously cleaned records,
  • 5 minutes for new records,
  • 10 minutes (plus a pre-Guru wipe-down, if needed) for used records,
  • Microfiber cloth and detergent spray for stubborn finger prints,
  • 5 minute drying cycle for all.

Same.
  • 2 mins for previously cleaned records,
  • 5 minutes for new records,
  • 10 minutes (plus a pre-Guru wipe-down, if needed) for used records,
  • Microfiber cloth and detergent spray for stubborn finger prints,
  • 5 minute drying cycle for all.
Does the 10-minute clean involve the reservoir draining itself after 5 minutes and then having to refill it for the second half of the cleaning? or is there a way to keep the water in the reservoir for a full 10-minute cleaning?

Does the 10-minute clean involve the reservoir draining itself after 5 minutes and then having to refill it for the second half of the cleaning? or is there a way to keep the water in the reservoir for a full 10-minute cleaning?
You can run a clean-only cycle without draining the tank. The draining occurs at the beginning of the drying phase.

So you run a 5-minute clean cycle followed by a 5-minute clean-and-dry.

Back