New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Agreed, but at least with the 1 drop of G-Sonic, no additional rinse is required. So for me at least, when you think about what would be required to run an 'extra' rinse cycle, it would include emptying the removable tank of the surfactant-treated water, refilling the HG with non-treated distilled water, running a clean cycle to 'rinse,' and then drying (which wouldn't be extra assuming no drying has happened prior to this point). Then for the next record, back to the surfactant-treated water, etc., etc. Much too much extra work for something that isn't indicated.
Could always buy an extra tank and use one tank for clean water and one for the water + surfactant combo. I’ve never found the need to do that though. I use tergitol as my surfactant but will probably get some Gsonic soon.

OK, so I’m seriously considering getting one. I currently use Tergikleen with my Spin-Clean, then rinse with clean water. I’m seeing on this thread that people use one drop of G-Sonic in the Humminguru. Is there no clean rinse cycle? Could I use my bottle of Tergikleen with it?
One drop of Tergikleen in the water bin would be more than sufficient and no additional rinse cycle would be required. You could experiment with dilutions that amount to less than 1 drop (0.05 ml) per 325 milliliters.

Interesting, I've always been curious about rinsing surfactant. I feel it's just generally a good practice but don't know if it's needed or not.
As I noted earlier, I use Jet Dry as one of my surfactants. Of course, Jet Dry is a “rinse agent” which is meant to be in the rinse cycle at very diluted levels. The presence of the low concentration surfactant in the rinse helps to accelerate drying.

I use much lower concentrations of surfactant in my HG than I did with my vacuum record cleaner, although it is the same mixture.

Maybe I'm quite lucky of living in Scotland as here we have a good quality tap water and only thing I have to add is this cleaning concentrate (on the pic).

IMG_8620.JPG

I have this machine for record cleaning - The Vinyl Maid Mk IIb, which I purchased after contacting the manufacturer who gave me all explanations and support I needed. First I found it on the ebay, but then I contacted them directly and they could offer even a slight discount (always very pleasing) :).

IMG_8726.JPG

You can find this machine here, on their website:

The machine is great and can clean more than 1 record at a time (up to 5 or 6, if you want), which is very helpful with my large collection.
Usually the first cleaning is enough, but I'm not saying is always a well done job after only one cleaning. Sometimes, the more stubborn dirt needs a double run cleaning.
Agree that small and very soft dusting pan or brush can help, but only with a fresh, dry dust. If there is anything sticky or just old within the grooves you have to use a washing machine.
I wouldn't recommend using any alcohol, just add the product for records cleaning, e.g. like this one I have Super Deep Cleaner Concentrate for LP Records and Record Cleaning Machines, and this should be the safest option for your albums. At least I use this method and effects are very pleasing. Records are shiny and give you back more sound than before. I think this is fair enough to recommend this record cleaner.

Maybe I'm quite lucky of living in Scotland as here we have a good quality tap water and only thing I have to add is this cleaning concentrate (on the pic).
The reason why many people use distilled water to clean records is not cleanliness per se (i.e. potable quality), but the absence of dissolved minerals. Some cleaners have “sequestering” or “chelating” agents that bind to minerals to keep them from redepositing on the vinyl. It sounds like yours does, too.

It’s those chemicals which keep your glasses shiny when washed in a dishwasher using a rinse additive.

I've been thinking about moving on from my VPI for awhile now as it's starting to get a bit worn plus the time it takes per lp of constant attention is just something I don't have very often lately.

It seems this is a top option for most that have gone my route of using a VPI and don't want to drop $1k+? Reading posts here and looking around the rest of the internets everyone is calling it a pretty big upgrade on top of it being much less of a hassle (I'm oh so damn tired of having to bring in the shop vac and hook it all up anytime I want to use my VPI currently).

My biggest question for you guys that have used it for awhile is what do you consider essential to buying with the actual unit? The 7" and 10" adapters obviously but it seems like people are fine using Tergikleen which I already have quite a bit of on hand? Has anyone that used both this and anything else noticed much difference? I'm guessing the dust cover they sell isn't essential as long as you keep the lid on and use it often?

Last question, I promise! Do these ever go on decent sales anywhere? It seems like Amazon has the best current price at $500 US when including the 7" and 10" adapters. Then I seen Humminguru themselves selling a "Used - Very Good" for only $439 with the adapters which i'm thinking about just ending the wait and grabbing that as i'm guessing that's about as cheap as it's been after missing the Kickstarter?

Adapters depend on how many 7s and 10s you have. The 10 works well, but I was coming here just now to say I'm basically giving up on the 7 adapter. The problem is you have to overfill it to clean the record and then it leaks everywhere. I cleaned 17 x 7s yesterday and had 3 or 4 major leaks. It happened before too. This is a bit of a pain for me as I have 300-400 7s but I'm mostly fine with it as it's worth it to clean the rest. The rest works v well (and I wouldn't buy anything other than the adapters).

Adapters depend on how many 7s and 10s you have. The 10 works well, but I was coming here just now to say I'm basically giving up on the 7 adapter. The problem is you have to overfill it to clean the record and then it leaks everywhere. I cleaned 17 x 7s yesterday and had 3 or 4 major leaks. It happened before too. This is a bit of a pain for me as I have 300-400 7s but I'm mostly fine with it as it's worth it to clean the rest. The rest works v well (and I wouldn't buy anything other than the adapters).
I’ve not had any leakage issues cleaning 7”, but it does ride right on the max fill line of the machine

I’ve not had any leakage issues cleaning 7”, but it does ride right on the max fill line of the machine
Good to know. I would say full to the max line I was cleaning about 1/2, max 2/3 of the 7. Fine if there's load of dead wax but there isn't on most of my 7s. I feel it up so it gets close to the label and it maybe works once or twice but then starts to leak...

Good to know. I would say full to the max line I was cleaning about 1/2, max 2/3 of the 7. Fine if there's load of dead wax but there isn't on most of my 7s. I feel it up so it gets close to the label and it maybe works once or twice but then starts to leak...

I actually find that’s the same on 12s too. I always fill to just shy of the 7” line because it does presume there is more deadwax than is on most of my pressings.

This is all good info as I def. have a good amount of 7" (Not many 10") that I need to do because they have always been a nightmare to do with my VPI and only worsens the more I do. It seems like i've seen 7" issues on most cleaners though (Below the $5-600 price range at least) so i'm guessing the non-12" vinyl is probably more of an afterthought then the center of attention which the 12" obviously is. As long as I can still slowly get through them over time I can live with some smaller issues there I guess.

It was kind of nice to see a good hand full + of newer videos on Youtube that weren't there the last time I was researching this. I remember when the Kickstarter was going I was a bit worried about the longevity and support but it seems to be doing well and when it doesn't I seen several people mention the great customer service which is another welcomed surprise these days especially.

This is all good info as I def. have a good amount of 7" (Not many 10") that I need to do because they have always been a nightmare to do with my VPI and only worsens the more I do. It seems like i've seen 7" issues on most cleaners though (Below the $5-600 price range at least) so i'm guessing the non-12" vinyl is probably more of an afterthought then the center of attention which the 12" obviously is. As long as I can still slowly get through them over time I can live with some smaller issues there I guess.

It was kind of nice to see a good hand full + of newer videos on Youtube that weren't there the last time I was researching this. I remember when the Kickstarter was going I was a bit worried about the longevity and support but it seems to be doing well and when it doesn't I seen several people mention the great customer service which is another welcomed surprise these days especially.
Yeah, I'd say the benefits (cost, efficiency, performance, convenience) far outweigh the potential risks, which are few. Oh, and I don't see any reason why you'd need or want the dustcover. If you want to cover it beyond the lid, you can always craft your own, but I don't see any reason for it.

Yeah, I'd say the benefits (cost, efficiency, performance, convenience) far outweigh the potential risks, which are few. Oh, and I don't see any reason why you'd need or want the dustcover. If you want to cover it beyond the lid, you can always craft your own, but I don't see any reason for it.

Appreciate the reply! Yeah, I was having a hard time understanding why i'd need a cover beyond the lid so i'll be skipping that for sure now since I doubt i'll go much longer then a week or two max without using it anyways.

Pretty sure i'll be buying one in the next couple of days!

Alright. First problem ever with the HG after 2 years of good solid use. One of the nozzles on the inside is leaking so my water slowly drains during the cleaning process. Not the worst problem in the world but a problem nonetheless.

Anyone experience this? Know the fix? Figure I’ll start here and then hit up the company if no one else has fixed this issue before.

Back