New Music Friday!

I have to take a closer listen to the new Yard Act. I was streaming it while driving earlier and didn’t realize it was on shuffle which threw me off at points. Some tracks were giant standouts - like better than anything on their debut. Others I still found a bit annoying? But they might be growing on me.

I also need to listen to the new Faye Webster again. She definitely has a style and this album very much continues that. It’s super mellow, but almost more meditative this time or something. I don’t know if I like it a lot yet though.

Radar List for 3.8.24

Moor Mother – The Great Bailout
Kahil El’Zabar’s Ethnic Heritage Ensemble – Open Me, A Higher Consciousness of Sound and Spirit
Taj Mahal – Swingin’ Live at the Church in Tulsa
Bacao Rhythm and Steel Band – BRSB
Norah Jones – Visions
CocoRosie – Elevator Angles EP
Kim Gordon – The Collective
The Klittens – Butter EP
Jonah Parzen-Johnson – You're Never Really Alone
Haux – Blue Angels
Bktherula – LVL5 P2
Loreena McKennitt – The Road Back Home
Marry Waterson & Adrian Crowley – Cuckoo Storm
Judas Priest – Invincible Shield

I really dig the solo debut LP by BOLIS PUPUL, Letter to Yu, which is an ode to his late mother. The production is slick and I like the way the Belgium-based producer juxtaposes his Chinese heritage with Western dance beats 🪩,🕺He made a name for himself in 2022 alongside Charlotte Adgiréry's tongue-in-cheek Topical Dancer which made my AOTY year-end list! Check it out!

Kim Gordon’s new album is interesting. It’s reminds me a bit of Low’s last couple albums production wise. The big difference is the dissonance on those albums usually builds to moments where unbridle and haunting beauty burst through the murky glitchy distortion. Those moments are much less present on KG’s The Collective, it’s still a captivating listen but it’s not something I will likely return to often. I am glad it exists.

Radar List, 15th March 2024
  • LustmordMuch Unseen Is Also Here (Electronic / Rock / Alternative Rock / Abstract / Dark Ambient)
  • Various ArtistsSoul Jazz Records Presents Studio One DJ's (Dub / Reggae)
  • Various ArtistsSoul Jazz Records Presents Studio One Down Beat Special: Expanded Edition (Dub / Reggae)
  • Amirtha Kidambi's Elder OnesNew Monuments (Jazz / Fusion)
  • Katia & Marielle LabèquePhilip Glass / Cocteau Trilogy (Neo-classical / Classical / Orchestral)
  • Simina OprescuSound of Matter (Drone / Kosmische / Minimal)
  • Zbigniew PreisnerMelancholy (Neo-classical / Classical / Orchestral)

Radar List for 3.15.24

The Messthetics & James Brandon Lewis – The Messthetics & James Brandon Lewis
J.U.I.C.E. & All Natural – CALIsthenics
ganavya – like sky I’ve been too quiet
Max Richter – SLEEP: Piano Edition
Charles Lloyd – The Sky Will Still Be There Tomorrow
Emanuel Ax | Leonidas Kavakos | Yo-Yo Ma – Beethoven For Three: Symphony No. 4 and Op. 97 “Archduke”
Clint Mansell – Love Lies Bleeding (Original Score)
Amirtha Kidambi's Elder Ones – New Monuments
Yoo Doo Right – The Sacred Fuck EP
Four Tet – Three
_thesmoothcat & Wino Willy – READY, SET
Library Card – Nothing, Interesting EP
BRAT – Social Grace
Bktherula – LVL5 P2
Lustmord – Much Unseen Is Also Here
The Black Crowes – Happiness Bastards
Beans – Boots N Cats
Brother Dege – Aurora

Goodness gracious me, new Lustmord is HUGE.
Listening now and I'm totally locked in. I really need to go back through his discography!

EDIT: Thanks to @jt4527 and @avecigrec for posting about the new  Lustmord album (I didn't realize it was dropping today). Just finished its 8 tracks in its entirety of 120 mins. It was a perfect dark ambient sonic immersion.

Last edited:
Back