New Music Friday!

Three albums I'm excited for today that I don't think made any lists yet (but I may be wrong):

Erika de Casier - Still (R&B, pop) this was released on Wednesday, so it's a new release this week even though not technically a Friday release
Whitelands - Nightbound Eyes are Blind to the Day (shoegaze)
Laetitia Sadier (lead singer of Stereolab) - Rooting for Love (quirky french pop i guess?)

Last edited:
come to think of it, Real Estate should be called Sunny Day Real Estate, and Sunny Day Real Estate should be called Cloudy Day Real Estate. The "Sunny Day" fits better with Real Estate than it does SDRE.
I am really enjoying the new album. It honestly makes me want to revisit The Main Thing and see if I am just in a more receptive head space or if this album is just that much better.

I don't know about anyone else, but the new MGMT is definitely my most anticipated release at the moment. It feels like a lifetime has passed since Little Dark Age came out and I'm excited to see what they've been working on. Haven't listened to any of the singles they've put out so that I can go in completely blind.
The 🆕 MGMT album imho is great 😃
I listened 🎧 to it only having heard the lead single "Mother Nature", therefore 95% of the material was fresh and new to me, besides I feel as though Loss Of Life is intended to be listened to front to back in order to fully appreciate it. I love the slick production of Patrick Wimberly (Chairlift) on this project. The Bowie-esque 70's inspired melodic psych-pop works to a T! LP 5 sees a more mature sounding duo that is still not afraid to poke fun at serious subject matters such as death ☠️ but ultimately this album is an immersive musical journey about loss, grief, resilience and optimism 🙏❤️

So far I quite enjoyed the Ghetts album. And Eric Hilton of Thievery Corporation's solo album is some pretty tasty downtempo. Very smooth.

I'm saving CAN for a long drive later today and haven't decided if I'm going to stream Emahoy Tsege Mariam Gebru, or wait until my copy arrives next week.

So far I quite enjoyed the Ghetts album. And Eric Hilton of Thievery Corporation's solo album is some pretty tasty downtempo. Very smooth.

I'm saving CAN for a long drive later today and haven't decided if I'm going to stream Emahoy Tsege Mariam Gebru, or wait until my copy arrives next week.
I listened to Emahoy Tsege Mariam Gebru this morning. It was very good.

Loss of Life is going to take some time to properly digest; first impressions are mostly positive, although I don't think it's the type of record I can make a judgment call on after only one listen. I predict it being something I'll have to sit with for a bit, but will really grow on me once I have. Even if this ultimately doesn't end up clicking with me as much as their past work, I have to say I am impressed that they're still able to put out something that challenges my expectations and throws me off a bit even after all these years.

I have gotten some serious ELO vibes from this new MGMT album now and then.

I’ve gotten all kinds of vibes off it. Manic Street Preachers is another.
Bowie has to be the most obvious influence on Loss of Life as well as Talking Heads, Simon and Garfunkel, Oasis (Mother Nature) and Stevie Nicks (Dancing in Babylon)

Actually, the more I listen to it the more it reminds me of a modern day Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler.
200w.gif

Back