New Music Friday!

yeah I've been on the prowl for more bands that scratch that itch. I get so disappointed when bands, while good, are touted as shoegaze but just scratch the surface *cough*Wednesday*cough* *cough*TAGBOW*cough*.

I got waaaaaaay back into Siamese Dream this summer because there's really nothing much else like it. The shoegazey guitar on that album is just next level.

I discovered this playlist a while back, maybe from Reddit? That someone updates regularly with HEAVY shoegaze. I'll check it out every so often to find something new

semi-related but have you heard Animal Ghosts?

I don't know Animal Ghosts, so I'm psyched to check them out, thanks! I hear you on the labelling things shoegaze that aren't, it is annoying. I wouldn't never have thought of Wednesday as shoegaze. Maybe because it's gaining momentum, people are throwing the label around whenever they hear a second or two of reverb.

If we're in the sharing mode, one of my favorite shoegaze album of the year is BrokenTeeth's How to Sink Slowly (link is to spotify if you use it). They are South Korean.

I don't know Animal Ghosts, so I'm psyched to check them out, thanks! I hear you on the labelling things shoegaze that aren't, it is annoying. I wouldn't never have thought of Wednesday as shoegaze. Maybe because it's gaining momentum, people are throwing the label around whenever they hear a second or two of reverb.

If we're in the sharing mode, one of my favorite shoegaze album of the year is BrokenTeeth's How to Sink Slowly (link is to spotify if you use it). They are South Korean.
I've seen some articles and stuff label them as shoegaze a lot. Only a couple of songs off their new album fit the bill slightly. This one from their 2021 album is pure shoegaze bliss IMO. But then, it's really the only song on that album that sounds shoegaaze. It's just a nice one-off.

I've heard that BrokenTeeth album before! I may have only listened to it once way back in February but I'll give it another go. I completely forgot about it.

Getting in early this week!

Radar list 10/11/2023
99LETTERS
Zigoku [地獄] (Modern Classical / Ambient)
Niecy BluesExit Simulation (Modern Classical / Ambient)
Tor LundvallLast Light (Modern Classical / Ambient)
The Habitat EnsembleThe Habitat Ensemble (Modern Classical / Ambient)
François J. Bonnet, Stephen O'MalleyCylene II (Dark Ambient / Drone / Metal, Modern Classical / Ambient)

Yeah this Hotline TNT album keeps getting better and better. I saw someone elsewhere on the internet describe it as the band Hoops (RIP) but shoegaze. They also sound like dad sports and/or Wallows, but again, shoegaze.
To me Hotline TNT sounds like a band walking a tight rope between shoegaze and slacker rock. I can hear a lot of Dinosaur Jr. Influences on the album 🤷

To me Hotline TNT sounds like a band walking a tight rope between shoegaze and slacker rock. I can hear a lot of Dinosaur Jr. Influences on the album 🤷

I don't listen to a lot of shoegaze so I could definitely be off on this, but I feel like a lot of the newer bands within the genre are missing that overwhelming crushing wall of sound/guitars that I'd like to be smashed up against when listening to it with headphones on. It is not missing with this album and I really love it.

I don't listen to a lot of shoegaze so I could definitely be off on this, but I feel like a lot of the newer bands within the genre are missing that overwhelming crushing wall of sound/guitars that I'd like to be smashed up against when listening to it with headphones on. It is not missing with this album and I really love it.
YES 1000% THIS!!! Shoegaze is like an accessory for modern shoegaze bands' sound.

This Animal Ghosts song does it well. Press play and crank that shit up to 11.

Radar List for 11.10.23

Aesop Rock – Integrated Tech Solutions
Hasaan Ibn Ali – Reaching For The Stars: Trios / Duos / Solos
Kresten Osgood – Kresten Osgood & De Udeboende
Miguel Atwood-Ferguson – Les Jardins Mystiques Vol.1
Jimi Hendrix Experience – Jimi Hendrix Experience: Hollywood Bowl August 18, 1967
Skinshape – Craterellus Tubaeformis
MTVoid – Matter’s Knot, Pt. 1
June McDoom – With Strings
Vincent Neil Emerson – The Golden Crystal Kingdom
David Holmes – Blind on a Galloping Horse
99LETTERS – Zigoku / 地獄
François J. Bonnet & Stephen O’Malley – Cylene II
Chris Stapleton – Higher
Bruce Brubaker – Eno Piano
Berke Can Özcan featuring Arve Henriksen & Jonah Parzen-Johnson – Twin Rocks
Pauline Anna Strom – Echoes, Spaces, Line
Quantic – Dancing While Falling

New Music Fridays are winding down for the year as we quickly approach AOTY season, but there are still solid albums dropping! Enter Aesop Rock's 10th LP and new album Integrated Tech Solutions (ITS) that just dropped today. Taken right from his Bandcamp page, ITS is "a concept album about an organization offering “lifestyle- and industry-specific applications designed to curate a desired multi-experience."" After just one initial listen, there was so much to ingest on this 18-track, 64-minute project, but I know I will be coming back to this one a lot in the next few weeks to pick through all the lyrical layers. ITS just adds to the already large list of solid/excellent rap/hip-hop albums that have dropped this year. And with AOTY season breathing down our necks, the album will more than likely find me adjusting and reorganizing my AOTY list, yet again, with another solid late-in-the-year release ✌️

Back