New Music Friday!

Ok, this one is a ton of fun. A bunch of canadian musicians - Moe Berg (Pursuit of Happiness), Craig Northley (Odds), Stephen Page (Barenaked Ladies) and Chris Murphy (Sloan) got together and formed this "supergroup". Their words - "we recorded a K-Tel style compilation of Canadian classics from 1969-1975 that we call Trans-Canada Highwaymen Explosive Hits Vol. 1."

Album on tidal:

In the queue here too, anything with Murph in it I'm in on.

SUPER fun!

I could not disagree with that review more - I think the extended versions are where the songs actually become fully realized. The shorter versions are okay samplings, like a beer flight, but the extended mixes really shine. I love it!
Yeah, I am intrigued and they have certainly impressed me with their range so I wouldn’t write it off without giving it a listen.

local minneapolis artist lady midnight has a new album out today

released October 27, 2023
Vocals and lyrics written and performed by Lady Midnight
Music composed and produced by Night Stone (Lazerbeak + ICETEP)

local minneapolis band solid gold (who all participated in gayngs back in the day) also have a new song out

Alone for the week.

🔥
  • Maria BC - Spike Field [perfect for autumn season, showcasing beautiful slowcore progressions paired with ethereal vocals from Maria. There's so many layers and details that allow the tempo-free songs to sound so grandiose and organic. Might have to go see them next month. Grouper, Julianna Barwick, and Ethel Cain listeners might be intrigued]
  • Sampha - Lahai [leave it to RYM to hypebeast albums in the week leading up to drop day. It has an amazing start first half, no doubt...the run from "Spirit 2.0" to "Jonathan L. Seagull" is nothing short of mesmerizing audio nirvana. Some of the most amazing minutes of music I have heard this year. Production choices, songwriting intricacies, ample variety of instrumentals, makes for a quite a treat. The back half, while still good, is not excellent. It does not keep up with the breakneck pace that the aforementioned exhilarating run takes me on. Some of those production choices are dropped by then as well, as it transitions into a more familiar neo-soul experience. Well, maybe except for "What if You Hypnotise Me?" but I do NOT have this as 2023 AotY. I still think Lahai is a shining star of 2023 and absolutely a top50 inclusion]
👍
  • Green-House - A Host for All Kinds of Life [very purdy]
  • Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter - SAVED! [I'm so torn on this. I bought this on physical with the strength of the singles, but another run on physical has me with second thoughts. There are some tremendous highs here like "All of My Friends Are Going to Hell," "I Will Be With You Always," and especially "The Poor Wayfaring Stranger." The folky interludes are apropos. However, I did not like the uneven volume along with gramophone pitch-shifting production choice on opening cut "I'm Getting Out While I Can" and found the closing cut "How Can I Keep From Singing" to be almost unlistenable paired with the woman's voice recorded on lo-fi tape in the background for a majority of the track to its end. Not my favorite from Kristin but I have the utmost respect to her vision, talent, and creativity, for her work as the artist formerly known as Lingua Ignota is one of my top50 all time. I do look forward to see how she expands on this era]
  • Myrkur - Spine [thanks, @musicjunkiegreg]
  • Lost Girls - Selvutsletter [still good, but not nearly as transcendent as Menneskekollektivet was. Jenny Hval has never let me down!]
  • Vanishing Twin - Afternoon X [like before, if you like Stereolab/Broadcast, this group will likely be up your alley. It gets quite interesting in the back half, when the experimentation kicks in]
🤷‍♂️
  • Pink Navel, Kenny Segal - How to Capture Playful [I've never experienced "nerdcore hip hop" and I'm not keen on a second helping if this is the norm. Yes, I know Segal produced Maps, but that isn't exactly "nerdcore hip hop" now, is it?]
  • The Spacelords - Nectar of the Gods [oh look, yet another dime-a-dozen stoner metal group. Just like all the others that have come before them. Apparently they've been around for about a decade and change, surely they have a standout record?]
  • Wilco - Cousin [it's fine. Probably their best in a while but again...personal indie rock dissociation. Those who are Wilco fans probably already have this one in their collection]
👎

None.​

🤮

None.​

Last edited:
New album Black Dog from Elizabeth Bernholz (aka Gazelle Twin) dropped today. Stylistically, she continues down a similar path with experimental, industrial electronic compositions mixed with a lot of darker ambient tones, synths, and some piano. I'm very sure that Gazelle Twin won't be for most people, but I've been a long-standing fan of her work since 2014. Black Dog is 11 tracks and spans about 41 minutes. Consequently (or not), this album dropped right before Halloween, and it's quite an unsettling and chilling listen. And Bernholz's voice is very standout on this album. It goes high, it goes low, it's beautiful and slow, it's fast and biting - it seems otherworldly most of the time. I've given it two full listens through and it's surely one of the most unique listens of the year for me. I love it so far, but I feel it's going to require several more listens to fully understand and appreciate. The Quietus wrote a lengthy review of the album here, and it goes into great detail on the album and gives some of Bernholz's quotes on what the album is about. All in all, Black Dog will no doubt make it somewhere on to my AOTY list at year's end.

There are a few points throughout this that her vocals remind me of some of Moor Mother's vocals across her projects. Definitely gonna give this another listen or two.

Was funny reading this from Paste Magazine just now:
The eighth studio album from legendary producer DJ Shadow very well might just be his best since his debut Endtroducing….. came out 27 years ago. The work is solid, and the sampling is alive and ambition.
...because I found it to be quite bland and boring. 😳

I could not disagree with that review more - I think the extended versions are where the songs actually become fully realized. The shorter versions are okay samplings, like a beer flight, but the extended mixes really shine. I love it!
Agreed 💯 the extended mix is how the album was intended to be listened to as the tracks sprawl out as opposed to ending abruptly on the standard version.

Sofia Kourtesis' debut album Madres is another highlight for me this week! The Peruvian-born and Berlin-based house producer and DJ crafted a danceable, political and meditative project that reflects on her family and nightlife. For fans of Latin electronic music, deep-house and microhouse. 👌
I have this preordered. I need to listen to it!!

This Wild Nothing album is another classic from him. First listen through I wasn't sure because I felt "Histrion" and "Prima" were a little auto-tune heavy, but I've gotten used to them both and they're not bad. I also was worried that I over-listened to the 3 singles and nothing else was left on the album... until this song came on.

I need a Wild Nothing shoegaze album next.

Radar List for 11.3.23

Shooter Jennings & The Werewolves of Los Angeles – Do Zevon
Willie Nelson – Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 Live At The Hollywood Bowl
Alan Ginsberg – The Lion For Real, Re-born
Eliott BROOD – Town
Laura Veirs – Phone Orphans
Sarah Davachi – Long Gradus
Move 78 – Grains
Resavoir – Resavoir
Amor Muere – A time to love, a time to die
Jeffrey Martin – Thank God We Left the Garden
Micky Dolenz – Dolenz Sings R.E.M. EP