New Music Friday!

bump! It's Friday! What's new that I should be listening to?
New Moses Boyd is great. Orchestre Baobab - Mohammadou Bamba is out on Juno, possibly my favourite African record ever (I had thought the release date was next week). I also enjoyed Seven Wonders, an Australian compo of their soul and jazz scene. And finally Strut's second compilation of the amazing Caribbean label Debs International is out today.

BTW I'm checking out that Venetian Snares you recommended - it's bonkers, but in a good way. What I don't like about a lot of electronica is the repetition so it doesn't fall down on that. Needs another couple of listens, I feel...

Last edited:
New Moses Boyd is great. Orchestre Baobab - Mohammadou Bamba is out on Juno, possibly my favourite African record ever (I had thought the release date was next week). I also enjoyed Seven Wonders, an Australian compo of their soul and jazz scene.

BTW I'm checking out that Venetian Snares you recommended - it's bonkers, but in a good way. What I don't like about a lot of electronica is the repetition so it doesn't fall down on that. Needs another couple of listens, I feel...

Is the Moses Boyd out today? I've got that on pre-order.

New Moses Boyd is great. Orchestre Baobab - Mohammadou Bamba is out on Juno, possibly my favourite African record ever (I had thought the release date was next week). I also enjoyed Seven Wonders, an Australian compo of their soul and jazz scene.

Read about the album somewhere like wiki, it's a crazy concept too.

I don’t know if I’ve ever heard a Tame Impala track.
if you heard anything from Tame Impala it was probably the song Elephant, but maybe didn't realize it was a Tame Impala song. they're definitely a great band, I haven't listened to the new album yet but I am very much looking forward to listening to it!

I quite like it tbh but to each their own.

Singles were great. Borderline and It Might Be Time are up there with my favorite Tame Impala tracks ever, but a lot of the middle sounded like filler and couldn't keep my interest.

So what you're saying is it was a Tame Impala album? 👀

Hey ohhhhh!

I quite like it tbh but to each their own.
Singles were great. Borderline and It Might Be Time are up there with my favorite Tame Impala tracks ever, but a lot of the middle sounded like filler and couldn't keep my interest.

Hey ohhhhh!
I need to give it a couple listens through, but right now it makes me think of Innerspeaker: more a vibe than a set of distinct songs. I like the sound of a lot of it, it's very disco (and the opening track reminds me of Sparks' Tryouts for the Human Race), but it's not very hook-heavy.

Back