New Music Friday!

After a couple of big ones, this week seems pretty low key.
And for me, it appears to be an exploration of electronic and experimental music,
(with a splash of Tuareg avant-rock and archival krautrock!)

Radar List for 5.28.21

Les Filles De Illighadad
- At Pioneer Works
Isambard Khroustaliov - Transhuman Harmolodics
Loscil - Clara
Can - Live in Stuttgart 1975
Portico Quartet - Terrain
Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song Remix Series
Spectacular Diagnostics - Natural Mechanics
Aparde - Alliance
Sedibus - The Heavens
Masayoshi Fujita - Bird Ambience
Vanessa Amara - Music For Acoustic Instruments & Feedback

After my first non-radar list Friday (5.21.21) of the year, I'm back with a big one for this Friday 5.28.21, riddled with electronic and metal releases:

Aparde - Alliance
Black Midi - Cavalcade
Dödsrit - Mortal Coil
Ghastly - Mercurial Passages
HIDE - Interior Terror
Loscil - Clara
Merzbow - Scandal
Natalia LaFourcade - Un Canto Por México, Vol. 2
Portal - Avow
Sedibus - The Heavens
Sneaky Jesus - For Joseph Riddle
Sugar Candy Mountain - Impression

Last edited:
After a couple of big ones, this week seems pretty low key.
And for me, it appears to be an exploration of electronic and experimental music,
(with a splash of Tuareg avant-rock and archival krautrock!)

Radar List for 5.28.21

Les Filles De Illighadad
- At Pioneer Works
Isambard Khroustaliov - Transhuman Harmolodics
Loscil - Clara
Can - Live in Stuttgart 1975
Portico Quartet - Terrain
Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song Remix Series
Spectacular Diagnostics - Natural Mechanics
Aparde - Alliance
Sedibus - The Heavens
Masayoshi Fujita - Bird Ambience
Vanessa Amara - Music For Acoustic Instruments & Feedback
Yes, lots of electronic releases this Friday! We share a few anticipated albums 👊 Lots of metal releases as well 🤘

Yes, lots of electronic releases this Friday! We share a few anticipated albums 👊 Lots of metal releases as well 🤘
Metal is admittedly a rather large blind spot for me, overall, but I do look to challenge myself on that from time to time so I may check some of the stuff from your list after I make it through mine.

So here's my list for tomorrow, Friday 28th of May 2021. Happy listening everybody :) 🎧

Black Midi (Cavalcade) (Noise/ Mathrock/ already released!)

Moby (Reprise) (Rave/ Pop/ Electro/ Orchestra)

Mustafa (When Smoke rises) (RnB/ Blues/ Folk)

Penelope Trappes (Penolope Three) (Gothic/ Drone/ Folk)

Lou Barlow (Reason to live) (Lo-Fi/ Folk/ Rock)

Portico Quartet (Terrain) (Jazz)

Kele (The Waves Part 1) (Minimalism from Bloc Party singer)

Loscil (Clara) (Ambient/ Orchestral)

Cheval Sombre (Days go by) (Psychfolk)

Bachelor (Doomin´ Sun) (Indie Rock/ Noise/ Disco)

Kelly Lee Owens (Inner Song Remix Series) (Techno/ Electronic)

Les Filles de Illighadad (At Pioneer Works) (Tuareg Blues)

Robert Ames (Change Ringing) (Soundscapes/ Classical/ Orchestral)

DMX (Exodus) (Rap/ posthumous release)

Of Mice & Men (Bloom EP) (Post Hardcore/ Metalcore/ Nu Metal)

The Baseballs (Hot Shots) (Rockabilly Cover album)

Balkan Taksim (Disko Telegraf) (Psych/ Roots/ Electronica from Budapest)

Sammy Haig (Cucumber EP) (trumpet player)

Jorja Chalmers (Midnight train) (Keyboards/ Saxophone/ ethereal dream pop)

Masayoshi Fujita (Bird Ambience) (Japanese Composer/ vibraphonist/ Experimental)

Blackberry Smoke (You hear Georgia) (Southern Rock)

k.d. lang (Makeover) (Classic Dance Remixes of older songs)

Texas (Hi) (Pop/ Rock/ features Wu-Tang Clan)

Bugzy Malone (The Resurrection) (British Rap)

Perturbator (Lustful Sacraments) (Electro/ Synth from France)

John Dwyer and Co. (Moon- drenched) (Garage Rock/ Punk Rock/ Noise/ Psychedelic)

Portal (Avow) (Death Metal/ Black Metal from Australia)

Metal is admittedly a rather large blind spot for me, overall, but I do look to challenge myself on that from time to time so I may check some of the stuff from your list after I make it through mine.
I come from a rock/metal "upbringing". Let me know what you think if you check any of those albums out. And if you'd ever like some guidance into more metal, I'd be happy to offer some recommendations! 🤘

Coincidentally, I was the same way, in a blind spot, with most other genres for the longest time (and especially rap and hip-hop). It wasn't until early on last decade when I began exploring and appreciating all genres and styles. And each year now I find myself expanding my listening perspective and tastes. There was so much I was missing out on for so long.. ✌

I come from a rock/metal "upbringing". Let me know what you think if you check any of those albums out. And if you'd ever like some guidance into more metal, I'd be happy to offer some recommendations! 🤘

Coincidentally, I was the same way, in a blind spot, with most other genres for the longest time (and especially rap and hip-hop). It wasn't until early on last decade when I began exploring and appreciating all genres and styles. And each year now I find myself expanding my listening perspective and tastes. There was so much I was missing out on for so long.. ✌

I appreciate the offer and am always down for recommendations. Particularly outside of the more well-known/mainstream acts. I've not ignored metal entirely, but have also not branched out very much. I absolutely love Tool and System of a Down. Enjoy Slayer (my 3-year-old loves 'em) and some Pantera well enough; I go back and forth on Megadeth and generally detest Metallica. I also had regrettable dalliances with nu-metal in the late 90s/early 00s, but we don't need to discuss that at any length! :ROFLMAO: Otherwise, there are a lot of names I definitely recognize but I can't pin a sound to. I do recall enjoying Mastadon well enough too when a co-worker played them for me years and years ago, but I've not revisited them since, either.

Here's to expanding listening perspectives! I feel like that's been an extra heavy focus for me this year - dropping a lot of preconceived notions and digging into a lot of things I wouldn't otherwise give as much opportunity in the past. Still a lot that I haven't loved but I'm glad to have tried it - and some occasionally wonderful surprises!

I appreciate the offer and am always down for recommendations. Particularly outside of the more well-known/mainstream acts. I've not ignored metal entirely, but have also not branched out very much. I absolutely love Tool and System of a Down. Enjoy Slayer (my 3-year-old loves 'em) and some Pantera well enough; I go back and forth on Megadeth and generally detest Metallica. I also had regrettable dalliances with nu-metal in the late 90s/early 00s, but we don't need to discuss that at any length! :ROFLMAO: Otherwise, there are a lot of names I definitely recognize but I can't pin a sound to. I do recall enjoying Mastadon well enough too when a co-worker played them for me years and years ago, but I've not revisited them since, either.

Here's to expanding listening perspectives! I feel like that's been an extra heavy focus for me this year - dropping a lot of preconceived notions and digging into a lot of things I wouldn't otherwise give as much opportunity in the past. Still a lot that I haven't loved but I'm glad to have tried it - and some occasionally wonderful surprises!
Some good bands you listed there! I too was (and still very much an) a big fan of Tool. What is your preferred platform to listen to music? Spotify? YouTube? I could share some bands/songs that were "gateways" to discovering more metal and rock bands if you like.

Some good bands you listed there! I too was (and still very much an) a big fan of Tool. What is your preferred platform to listen to music? Spotify? YouTube? I could share some bands/songs that were "gateways" to discovering more metal and rock bands if you like.

Spotify and Bandcamp are my primary digital platforms these days.

Back