New Music Friday!

Another late addition for me!

The Tragically Hip just announced a new release for tomorrow: Saskadelphia is a collection of previously unreleased Road Apples era songs.

(Saskadelphia was the working title for Road Apples but the label deemed it "too Canadian.")

This is actually really good....

(Also, you gotta love how their answer to the label for their original title being "too Canadian" was basically "horse shit".)

Last edited:
This is actually really good....

(Also, you gotta love how their answer to the label for their original title being "too Canadian" was basically "horse shit".)

I'm not a huge Hip fan -- used to be a big hater, actually -- but I'm digging this halfway through. Maybe part of it is missing being out and about in Canada in the summertime, but it's good stuff.

I'm not a huge Hip fan -- used to be a big hater, actually -- but I'm digging this halfway through. Maybe part of it is missing being out and about in Canada in the summertime, but it's good stuff.
Wait what!? A Toronto boy that doesn't like The Hip??? How can that be? It's a travesty, said the guy who never liked them either 😄

I'm a fan of all the early stuff. Kind of lost touch after Phantom Power though. I did my undergrad at Queen's during the early 90's. They were everywhere and it was hard to not love them. My real introduction to the Hip was when walking on Princess street by the local record shop and seeing a gigantic line-up there. I asked what was happening and someone told me the new Tragically Hip record was being released (that would be Road Apples). I though to myself that I liked that New Orleans Is Sinking song, so I just lined up too.... well, fast forward a few months and we ended up driving to Ottawa for Canada Day to watch them play at Landsdowne. Gord had a special energy to him during those years.

I'm also really enjoying the new Lord Huron concept album "Long Lost". There's a real Fleet Foxes vibe on this one with a nice delicate vintage country miidle-America background mixed in with 1950s variety television 📺 "program" 👏

Wait what!? A Toronto boy that doesn't like The Hip??? How can that be? It's a travesty, said the guy who never liked them either 😄
I think I mentioned this in another thread but when I was in high school, all the country boys that I didn't get along with at all listened exclusively to the Hip and that turned me off huge, haha. I gradually chilled out and thankfully as I aged, cliques and shit ceased to matter so I opened up to them a bit and around the time of their final tour I finally start to get their appeal.
I'm a fan of all the early stuff. Kind of lost touch after Phantom Power though. I did my undergrad at Queen's during the early 90's. They were everywhere and it was hard to not love them. My real introduction to the Hip was when walking on Princess street by the local record shop and seeing a gigantic line-up there. I asked what was happening and someone told me the new Tragically Hip record was being released (that would be Road Apples). I though to myself that I liked that New Orleans Is Sinking song, so I just lined up too.... well, fast forward a few months and we ended up driving to Ottawa for Canada Day to watch them play at Landsdowne. Gord had a special energy to him during those years.
That's a pretty great origin story. Two of my best friends did their went to Queen's as well so I spent a good amount of time in Kingston during those years.

I hated on The Hip for a long time myself. Except I did like a few of their songs here and there in spite of myself. Then something clicked when my friend was playing In Violet Light in his car when it first came out and I actually had him stop at Future Shop on our way to whatever movie we were headed to see so I could pick up a copy and from there I was in.

Also, I loved Downie's Coke Machine Glow even when I hated on the hip. I had picked up the book and CD combo pack as much for the book and really dug the album quite a bit.

So these 3 new singles are from her upcoming LP "Blue Banisters" which is slated to come out July 4th but what about "Rock Candy Sweet" Is that album still a go? 🤔

I assume she just did change the title of that forthcoming album, but who knows maybe she already got a third one for this year in the works?
I know she is very hard working and had dozens or even hundreds of quite good demos before her career even started. This reminds me a bit of Prince, who also both used to record a lot and used to put out many albums in short gaps or as multi-album sets.

I'm also really enjoying the new Lord Huron concept album "Long Lost". There's a real Fleet Foxes vibe on this one with a nice delicate vintage country miidle-America background mixed in with 1950s variety television 📺 "program" 👏

I'm really enjoying this. My wife is a big Lord Huron fan and I've enjoyed the albums she's picked up thus far but this one I really like.

I was hyped for last week, but most of the releases didn't really grab me. This week however, I'm pleasantly surprised to really enjoy everything I've checked out so far! All of these albums have been great on first listen:

Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR (didn't think this was for me but really like it)
Mat Kearney - January Flower
Robert Finley - Sharecropper's Son (the latest from Easy Eye Sound, produced by Dan Auerbach)
Georgia Anne Muldrow - VWETO III (some really cool instrumental stuff)

I liked a couple of songs (namely damn Right and Top Again) from Audrey Nuna - a liquid breakfast as well.

Great release day!

I was hyped for last week, but most of the releases didn't really grab me. This week however, I'm pleasantly surprised to really enjoy everything I've checked out so far! All of these albums have been great on first listen:

Robert Finley - Sharecropper's Son (the latest from Easy Eye Sound, produced by Dan Auerbach)

I liked a couple of songs (namely damn Right and Top Again) from Audrey Nuna - a liquid breakfast as well.

Great release day!

The Robert Finley stood out for me too. Was looking forward to it and it doesn't disappoint.

Great release day!

I feel similarly. I was most excited for last week and felt it was an okay week (other than Sons of Kemet being a strong AotY contender) while this week I'm loving all 4 albums I've been able to check out so far!

I was nearly as excited for Mdou Moctar as Sons of Kemet and it definitely doesn't disappoint.

Georgia Anne Muldrow is a delicious and diverse banger!

Fly Pan Am's newest was a very exciting listen for me - I've only been tangentially familiar with them along the way so I can't compare it to the rest of their catalogue.

And the wife and I are about 4/5 of the way through this new Lord Huron and loving it.

Plus I still have another handful of albums I'm excited to check out yet. A great week!

My copy arrived today. It's such a great package, the booklet is awesome.

Appreciate the Juno advice. Mine arrived last week, but I didn't get around to opening it until this morning.

Holy shit, that booklet is incredible!

Already loved this album a bunch, but that really took it to a whole new level.

Back