New Music Friday!

It’s only February, everybody chilllll
I've been following music for years, and the only year that's had multiple AOTY potentials at this point was 2022 (february was crazy - big thief, beach house, etc). Otherwise the default rule for me is that releases don't really pick up until march or April. This March is absolutely stacked so I think that will continue to be the case.

Nonetheless, this year is still pretty good so far. Good chance the Smile and Future Islands albums will make the year end cut for me. Great records. And I've enjoyed several other releases so far (Green Day, Last Dinner Party, Brittany Howard, etc)

I've been following music for years, and the only year that's had multiple AOTY potentials at this point was 2022 (february was crazy - big thief, beach house, etc). Otherwise the default rule for me is that releases don't really pick up until march or April. This March is absolutely stacked so I think that will continue to be the case.

Nonetheless, this year is still pretty good so far. Good chance the Smile and Future Islands albums will make the year end cut. And I've enjoyed several other releases so far.
How dare you chime in with positivity!? 😉🤣

I LOVE a lot of albums this year and there are a few that have the potential for the long haul in The Smile, Sprints, Brittany Howard, Joel
Ross, and Sarah Jarosz. Brittany Howard is the one that impresses more with each listen though.

Busy potty training the toddler so have not had a chance to listen to anything new this week. Hell I haven’t done my regular daily listening things today beyond a listen to Blur for the generator and the Duran Duran that Rhino had as AOTD. (Yes I am a giant nerd)

I never got into Idles until now so I’m actually pretty into Tangk. As far as this year goes, I would say yeah…I have two albums that I love. A tiny few more I like. But I think last year was a bit rougher for me. I liked a good number, but ones that I think are truly great? Very small amount. 2024 looks a bit slow, but you never know what could happen. I have high hopes for the new Waxahatchee more than anything else slated for release so far.

Lots to like and love so far this year 😍 2024 is hitting it ⚾ out of the park imho! From the outstanding sophomore album by The Smile to the excellent 👌 debut from The Last Dinner Party and everything in between such as Future Islands, Ducks 🦆 Ltd., Spencer Burton, Helado Negro, IDLES, SPRINTS, Chelsea Wolfe, Brittany Howard and the list goes on...

Maaaannnn.... yet another disappointing new music Friday for me.. I know I'm probably in the minority on here (seems like a lot of you have been enjoying a lot of new releases so far this year), but 2024 has been a let-down year so far for me. Some big hopes turned to crushed hopes.. Today's big disappointment was the new Idles album,  Tangk (it really "tanked"..) The band has gone from releasing some of my favorite albums in their respective years (e.g. Brutalism, JAAAOR) to now releasing some of the most underwhelming.. Glad some of you seem to be getting something out of this one that clearly isn't clicking for me.
Finally got around to listening to this one. JAAAOR was my AOTY that particular year. Tangk just failed to click with me at all. Going to give it another listen in the near future, but I don't know if it's going to do much to change my opinion.

Radar List for 2.23.24

CAN – Live In Paris 1973
Emahoy Tsege Mariam Gebru – Souvenirs
Ghetts – On Purpose, With Purpose
Carlos Niño | Idris Ackamoor | Nate Mercereau – Free, Dancing...
Revival Season – Golden Age of Self Snitching
Monkey3 – Welcome to the Machine
Kanii, Riovaz & Nimstarr – The Heart Racers EP
Shaina Hayes – Kindergarten Heart
Amigo the Devil – Yours Until the War is Over
Eric Hilton – Sound Vagabond
Katia & Marielle Labèque – Philip Glass / Cocteau Trilogy
John Glacier – Like a Ribbon EP
Otis Sandsjö – Y-OTIS TRE
Ghost Funk Orchestra – A Trip to the Moon
Dota Kehr – Die Vielgerühmte Einsamkeit
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum – Sleepytime Gorilla Museum of the Last Human Being
Sybris – Gold On Hold
Counting Hours - The Wishing Tomb
Toadliquor – Back in the Hole
William Brittelle – Alive in the Electric Snow Dream

Radar List, 23rd February 2024
  • Job For A CowboyMoon Healer (Death Metal)
  • Derek Bailey & Paul MotianDuo in Concert (Jazz / Fusion)
  • Kim Gordon & Loren ConnorsAt Issue (Experimental / Avant-garde / Sound Art / Field)
  • Koichi ShimizuImprint (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • OmitinSec (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • Sonja TofikRespire (Ambient / Downtempo / Dreampop)
  • TheophonosAshes In The Huron River (Metal / Noise / Industrial / Extreme)

• Kim Gordon & Loren ConnorsAt Issue (Experimental / Avant-garde / Sound Art / Field)
Wow a new JfaC album? That's a name I haven't heard in a while

I read that as Dierks Bentley and Paul Motian. This would have caused a great many questions.

I don't know about anyone else, but the new MGMT is definitely my most anticipated release at the moment. It feels like a lifetime has passed since Little Dark Age came out and I'm excited to see what they've been working on. Haven't listened to any of the singles they've put out so that I can go in completely blind.

I don't know about anyone else, but the new MGMT is definitely my most anticipated release at the moment. It feels like a lifetime has passed since Little Dark Age came out and I'm excited to see what they've been working on. Haven't listened to any of the singles they've put out so that I can go in completely blind.
I'm right there with you, looking forward to this. I did hear one single which I liked, but I've been actively avoiding singles as much as possible lately. I've found going in totally blind on full albums has been an enjoyable experience.

I've found going in totally blind on full albums has been an enjoyable experience.
I'm in the same boat, artists (or record labels) just put out way too many singles prior to an album nowadays for my taste. My stance is that ideally you should only release like two songs max before the album comes out, but as of late I've decided it's best to just avoid all the pre-release material to the best of my ability and go in as blind as possible, and I really do think that's the best way to do it if you want to preserve the feeling of hearing a new piece of work all at once. On my first listen of the new Smile album, I couldn't help but think of how much better it would have been to have heard Bending Hectic in the context of the full record rather than as a standalone song first.

I'm in the same boat, artists (or record labels) just put out way too many singles prior to an album nowadays for my taste. My stance is that ideally you should only release like two songs max before the album comes out, but as of late I've decided it's best to just avoid all the pre-release material to the best of my ability and go in as blind as possible, and I really do think that's the best way to do it if you want to preserve the feeling of hearing a new piece of work all at once. On my first listen of the new Smile album, I couldn't help but think of how much better it would have been to have heard Bending Hectic in the context of the full record rather than as a standalone song first.
This 100%. I honestly think I enjoyed that album more because I avoided everything leading up to it.

I pretty much only listen to one song by a band off a new album, usually the first one that accompanies the album announcement. Unless it's one of my all-time favorites, I skip the rest until the album releases. I've been burned too many times when the subsequent full album fails to live up to the 4 or 5 singles. The last time 4-5 singles didn't sour the release was the latest Alvvays album. They released like 6? singles and the rest of the album was just as good.

Back