New Music Friday!

I got the new Middle Kids album in the mail today and already really enjoy it. Fair to say, if you don’t think much of the band, this won’t sway you. But if you’re a fan, it delivers a lot of good stuff. Great hooks, more and more energy, and a probably the best flow front to back for any of their three albums. It’s too short though.
Indeed 👍 it's an all-round good indie pop record! The closing track feat. Dave Le'aupepe is such a beautiful 🎹 ballad 😍 and a nice way to close the album!

How do you like the 🆕 singles?
I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I gotta say I don’t think much of the new VW singles. Gen-X Cops sounds cool, but Capricorn kinda bores me. And I’m a huge fan. I’ve seen so many comparisons to Modern Vampires of the City and I don’t hear it. They will grow on me for sure, but I’m also trying to stay away from them until the album drops. Also I loved FOTB…which is apparently an unpopular opinion.

Agree, the Friko record is fantastic. It wins the week for me. Reminds me of Arcade Fire’s ambition in their early albums

I think I am either too old or over exposed to their influences to really get the feels this album was really wanting me to experience. It is like every track was created for sole purpose of giving the listener goosebumps yet I felt nothing. And this really does seem like something I would have absolutely loved 20 years ago. Felt the same way about Wild Pink and Typhoon, two other bands trying real hard to make me feel something and missing the mark.

Last edited:
I think I am either too old or over exposed to their influences to really get the feels this album was really wanting me to experience. It is like every track was created for sole purpose of giving the listener goosebumps yet I felt nothing. And this really does seem like something I would have absolutely love 20 years ago. Felt the same way about Wild Pink and Typhoon, two other bands trying real hard to make me feel something and missing the mark.
I'm in this same boat, kind of. Checking this album out now based on the recommendations here and I'm about mid-way through and I really, really don't like the singer's voice. They sound like a mix of Conor Oberst and Win Butler but also too soft. Musically it sounds very dated. Like this would be a huge album if it were released in 2003~ but now it kind of falls flat.

I think I am either too old or over exposed to their influences to really get the feels this album was really wanting me to experience. It is like every track was created for sole purpose of giving the listener goosebumps yet I felt nothing. And this really does seem like something I would have absolutely love 20 years ago. Felt the same way about Wild Pink and Typhoon, two other bands trying real hard to make me feel something and missing the mark.

I think the early-2000s nostalgia is what hit me while I listened to this at high volume in my car this morning. It sounded good, but no goosebumps

Maaaannnn.... yet another disappointing new music Friday for me.. I know I'm probably in the minority on here (seems like a lot of you have been enjoying a lot of new releases so far this year), but 2024 has been a let-down year so far for me. Some big hopes turned to crushed hopes.. Today's big disappointment was the new Idles album,  Tangk (it really "tanked"..) The band has gone from releasing some of my favorite albums in their respective years (e.g. Brutalism, JAAAOR) to now releasing some of the most underwhelming.. Glad some of you seem to be getting something out of this one that clearly isn't clicking for me.

Maaaannnn.... yet another disappointing new music Friday for me.. I know I'm probably in the minority on here (seems like a lot of you have been enjoying a lot of new releases so far this year), but 2024 has been a let-down year so far for me. Some big hopes turned to crushed hopes.. Today's big disappointment was the new Idles album,  Tangk (it really "tanked"..) The band has gone from releasing some of my favorite albums in their respective years (e.g. Brutalism, JAAAOR) to now releasing some of the most underwhelming.. Glad some of you seem to be getting something out of this one that clearly isn't clicking for me.
I agree with you actually. I haven’t really liked too much. Only 1 album has staying potential for my EOTY list. It’s still only February so there’s time. Also agree about Idles. Idk it’s fine but they’ve gone too tame on the last few albums for me.

I agree with you actually. I haven’t really liked too much. Only 1 album has staying potential for my EOTY list. It’s still only February so there’s time. Also agree about Idles. Idk it’s fine but they’ve gone too tame on the last few albums for me.
Glad I'm not the only one suffering this year 🤣

I wish I could say the new Idles is fine.. it's the disappointment of the year for me so far (even moreso than the new one from The Smile 🫤)

i've mostly liked songs here and there but nothing albumwise has really stuck out

Not too much has excited me this far in 2024 outside the new J Mascis, Ducks Ltd. and David Nance records (still need to give the new Grandaddy album a go) that being said, March is chocked full of releases I am pumped about and that is right around the corner so I expect my list to start growing soon.

Also, the other nice thing about it being potentially a down year it gives you a chance to dive down some rabbit holes of stuff from the past that you may have missed.

March is chocked full of releases I am pumped about and that is right around the corner so I expect my list to start growing soon.

Also, the other nice thing about it being potentially a down year it gives you a chance to dive down some rabbit holes of stuff from the past that you may have missed.

Yeah, the Idles came out of the gate swinging with Joy but everything after that has been less and less interesting. I feel like they are what would happen if AC/DC decided to make their own Dark Side Of The Moon.

Back