New Music Friday!

I thought Bending Hectic was wonderful, but I couldn’t fully wrap my head around the title track when it dropped. I really tried to not listen to the singles much, or at all. So listening to this today was a treat. It feels like a much more assured version of the band. It’s concise, but dense and complete. The mix of warmth and anxious melancholy is just…perfect for me. Also I had the record preordered and it only just shipped, coming from California, and randomly was delivered today. No idea how that happened. But listening to it tonight, winding down, it just felt really nice. One of the biggest surprises for me was I Quit. Maybe not a standout track for most people? But there’s something in it that I just felt utterly pulled in by. Some other tracks will take time, but they are already coming into focus for me. I think this is the first great album of the year.

🚨⚠️ RBF Alert ⚠️ 🚨

First RBF of 2024! Debut album: Mondo Maleficum (10 Tracks, 36 minutes) from Bristol, UK art-rock, post-punk, indie rock, alternative quintet Erotic Secrets of Pompeii. This album is energetic, chaotic, catchy, quirky, punchy, danceable, headbangable.. every track absolutely slaps, but Track 4, 'Venus Acsending' is my absolute standout. It's everything I didn't know I needed and the first album of 2024 to really get me excited. After an initial listen, off the top of my head, this sounds like a crazy threeway child between Talking Heads, Algiers, and Geese. Don't miss this one. Album of the month for sure ✌️

Hey New Friday release people. Not sure if anyone repped this at the time, but damn I really missed one in October 2023. The Mali Velasquez album "I'm Green" is really fantastic. Broadly speaking, it's in the indie, singer-songwriter genre, but really cool instrumentation, sonics and songwriting.

Check out the track Turn Red to see if it's your thing.

🚨⚠️ RBF Alert ⚠️ 🚨

First RBF of 2024! Debut album: Mondo Maleficum (10 Tracks, 36 minutes) from Bristol, UK art-rock, post-punk, indie rock, alternative quintet Erotic Secrets of Pompeii. This album is energetic, chaotic, catchy, quirky, punchy, danceable, headbangable.. every track absolutely slaps, but Track 4, 'Venus Acsending' is my absolute standout. It's everything I didn't know I needed and the first album of 2024 to really get me excited. After an initial listen, off the top of my head, this sounds like a crazy threeway child between Talking Heads, Algiers, and Geese. Don't miss this one. Album of the month for sure ✌️

Very fun. Not my album of the month, but I definitely dig it!

Radar List, 2nd February 2024
  • Arto Lindsay7 Types of Ambiguity – A Parade (Early Electronic / Soundtracks)
  • Lee "Scratch" PerryKing Perry (Dub / Reggae)
  • AsmahanYa Habibi Taala Elhaani (Folk / Roots)
  • Various ArtistsNippon Acid Folk 1970-1980 (Folk / Roots)
  • Damsel ElysiumWhispers from Ancient Vessels (Electronic)
🚨⚠️ RBF Alert ⚠️ 🚨

Definitely top 10 for sure, loved this!

Last edited:
Don't sleep 😴 on Marika Hackman's 🆕 album Big Sigh kids! This London-based singer-songwritrer is a new to me artist who's not exactly new to the music 🎵 scene as she released her first single 🔙 in 2012, so how I manage to sleep on her for this long is beyond me 🤷
I’m very excited to dive into this one. Been waiting for a long time!

🚨⚠️ RBF Alert ⚠️ 🚨

I hated that Algiers album but this song sounds interesting so I'm going to give it a full listen!

🚨⚠️ RBF Alert ⚠️ 🚨

I’m partway through and the comparison to Talking Heads and Geese is apt. Came here to say that I also weirdly hear some Andy Taylor circa Rio riffs here and there. Anyway very entertaining so far.

Radar List for 2.2.24

Dave Okumu & The 7 Generations – I Came From Love (Live from the Roundhouse)
Ghetts – On Purpose, With Purpose
C. Diab – Imerro
Allen Ginsberg – Material Wealth
LUCI – They Say They Love You
Vera Sola – Peacemaker
Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry – King Perry
Vijay Iyer | Linda May Han Oh | Tyshawn Sorey Compassion
Ariel Kalma | Jeremiah Chiu | Marta Sofia Honer – The Closest Thing To Silence
Manu Delago – Snow From Yesterday
J Mascis – What Do We Do Now
Beans – Boots N Cats
Anchor and Burden – Extinction Level
Shitty Person – Dignity
plantoid – Terrapath
Agrio – El Amigo Americano
Mindchatter – This Is A Reminder That You Are Not Behind Your Face EP
Bipolar Architecture – Metaphysicize
Meanstreak – Blood Moon EP
KMFDM – Let Go

Radar List for 2.2.24

Dave Okumu & The 7 Generations – I Came From Love (Live from the Roundhouse)
Ghetts – On Purpose, With Purpose
C. Diab – Imerro
Allen Ginsberg – Material Wealth
LUCI – They Say They Love You
Vera Sola – Peacemaker
Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry – King Perry
Vijay Iyer | Linda May Han Oh | Tyshawn Sorey Compassion
Ariel Kalma | Jeremiah Chiu | Marta Sofia Honer – The Closest Thing To Silence
Manu Delago – Snow From Yesterday
J Mascis – What Do We Do Now
Beans – Boots N Cats
Anchor and Burden – Extinction Level
Shitty Person – Dignity
plantoid – Terrapath
Agrio – El Amigo Americano
Mindchatter – This Is A Reminder That You Are Not Behind Your Face EP
Bipolar Architecture – Metaphysicize
Meanstreak – Blood Moon EP
KMFDM – Let Go
@avecigrec out here putting our weekly radar lists to shame. #RadarListGoat 🐐

🚨⚠️ RBF Alert ⚠️ 🚨

That's right, another RBF! And another debut album. This time it's Lakesongs Of Elbid by British quartet  Albion. I was perusing the metal section on Bandcamp and, admittedly, checked this album out solely because I liked the album art. What followed was a 12-track, 69-minute epic folk and folk metal odyssey! More specifically, this album is a melting pot of Celtic and Welsh folk, traditional folk, and progressive folk rock and metal. Now, I was a bit apprehensive going into this thing because, historically, to my own ears, folk music has always run the risk of sounding a bit too much like music you'd hear whilst frolicking around a Renaissance fair.. This, album, however, is bold, triumphant, and often times made me feel like I was about to go on a Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit-like quest! The entire tracklist never bores as you never know quite what to expect next. The vocals are clean (in case anyone was wondering) and the band blends their folky roots with all the other styles very well. I feel like I'm not doing the album any justice.. It's a very solid debut record! Some of the highlights for me include Track 3 Pagan Spirit, Track 6 Finding Avalon, and Track 8 Barrett's Privateers. Give it a go if you're feeling like an adventure 🗡

🚨⚠️ RBF Alert ⚠️ 🚨

That's right, another RBF! And another debut album. This time it's Lakesongs Of Elbid by British quartet  Albion. I was perusing the metal section on Bandcamp and, admittedly, checked this album out solely because I liked the album art. What followed was a 12-track, 69-minute epic folk and folk metal odyssey! More specifically, this album is a melting pot of Celtic and Welsh folk, traditional folk, and progressive folk rock and metal. Now, I was a bit apprehensive going into this thing because, historically, to my own ears, folk music has always run the risk of sounding a bit too much like music you'd hear whilst frolicking around a Renaissance fair.. This, album, however, is bold, triumphant, and often times made me feel like I was about to go on a Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit-like quest! The entire tracklist never bores as you never know quite what to expect next. The vocals are clean (in case anyone was wondering) and the band blends their folky roots with all the other styles very well. I feel like I'm not doing the album any justice.. It's a very solid debut record! Some of the highlights for me include Track 3 Pagan Spirit, Track 6 Finding Avalon, and Track 8 Barrett's Privateers. Give it a go if you're feeling like an adventure 🗡

Okay, my curiosity is WAY piqued by this one!

Back