New Music Friday!

the "new" Sunny Day Real Estate song is stunning

I said this elsewhere about this song

You can clearly hear the ghosts of "How It Feels To Be Something On" era in this song. While in theory this is a 25 year+ old song, it really does feel like this is where sunny day should go.

I know it doesn't have the sheen of the rising tide, and I get that a lot of people like that album/era. But this is the kind of song that makes it clear that SDRE have so much more to offer. This song feels like it combines the weight of "The Shark's Own Private Fuck", the joy of "Every Shining Time You Arrive", and the forward epic motion of "Days Were Golden". The song absolutely belongs in the SDRE, cannon so to speak.

And while it is kind of unfair to compare this to any of the studio 606 sessions stuff . For context, Sunny Day recording a song at Dave Grohl's studio 606 . Original bassist Nate Mendel recorded a full record with them in 2009/10. There was a lot of drama, and furthermore the band thought the material was not up to par. You can find these sessions on youtube (and I can totally see why they did not want this released). The band breaks up again, but we do get one song from those sessions in 2013 for an RSD 7". It's the best song out of the bunch.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say this song blows any of that out of the water (pun intended, if you've seen the video). As a fan of this band since 1995, and "How It Feels..." being not only my favorite SDRE LPs, but a top ten LP for me period, this met every expectation. A rare thing for a band that has reunited and decided to work on "new" material. The new re-recorded "Diary" LP drops in a bit, and this song is on it.

Last edited:
the "new" Sunny Day Real Estate song is stunning

I said this elsewhere about this song

You can clearly hear the ghosts of "How It Feels To Be Something On" era in this song. While in theory this is a 25 year+ old song, it really does feel like this is where sunny day should go.

I know it doesn't have the sheen of the rising tide, and I get that a lot of people like that album/era. But this is the kind of song that makes it clear that SDRE have so much more to offer. This song feels like it combines the weight of "The Shark's Own Private Fuck", the joy of "Every Shining Time You Arrive", and the forward epic motion of "Days Were Golden". The song absolutely belongs in the SDRE, cannon so to speak.

And while it is kind of unfair to compare this to any of the studio 606 sessions stuff . For context, Sunny Day recording a song at Dave Grohl's studio 606 . Original bassist Nate Mendel recorded a full record with them in 2009/10. There was a lot of drama, and furthermore the band thought the material was not up to par. You can find these sessions on youtube (and I can totally see why they did not want this released). The band breaks up again, but we do get one song from those sessions in 2013 for an RSD 7". It's the best song out of the bunch.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say this song blows any of that out of the water (pun intended, if you've seen the video). As a fan of this band since 1995, and "How It Feels..." being not only my favorite SDRE LPs, but a top ten LP for me period, this met every expectation. A rare thing for a band that has reunited and decided to work on "new" material. The new re-recorded "Diary" LP drops in a bit, and this song is on it.

Tell me more about this new re-recorded Diary.

Also, tickets for their 30th anniversary tour drop today. I need to purchase one for the Lawrence show.

Edit: found some info

Last edited:
Is this the "I'm not gonna write you a love song!" girl?
No. She was a child prodigy mandolin player who has become one hell of a songwriter. This album is a bit more polished and produced than her earlier albums but four songs in (running errands), it is fantastic and evidently my vinyl is waiting for me at home.

Only because her face is showing up everytime I see the Spotify "New Release" playlist, has anyone listened to Ice Spice "Think U The Shit (Fart)" so the rest of us don't have to? Candidate for worst song title of the year?

Her face (and also not her face… see: cover of her 2023 album) is always all over my Spotify as well. I, too, have not dared to listen. Maybe I’m missing out on something spectacular, but I doubt it

Back