New Music Friday!

Got an early start today and before work I was able to listen to the new album  Spine by Myrkur (aka Amelia Bruun). It's a fantastic listen! She has eschewed any clear genre-defining on this one, pulling from and stylistically meshing all of her previous works into an interesting, brave, haunting, and beautiful 33-minute project. Surely this is her best work to date. This album is nordic folk perfection tinged with moments of black metal, dream pop, shoegaze, synths, strings, and electronics. Her vocals, as usual, are stunning as well. The shoegazy/dreampop/metal single "Like Humans" has one of the best choruses of the year, IMO. Every track is solid and there's not a drop of excess fat on this album. This is a perfect autumn record, and it will surely find a spot on my AOTY list at year's end 🎯

Oooooohhh can’t wait to listen!! Technically, I got the physical a few days ago but we have yet to set up a tt—and we have two, so there is really no excuse except…..kids, life, and finding the perfect office desks for our listening room.

Excellent album👌
It's her Magnum Opus! 🤘🤘🔥🔥🔥

Yeah, this is dynamite!

Radar List for 10.27.23

Various – Red Hot & Ra : SOLAR - Sun Ra In Brasil
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – The Silver Cord
Web Web x Max Herre – WEB MAX II
The Third Mind – The Third Mind 2
Trans-Canada Highwaymen – Explosive Hits Vol. 1
Shabazz Palaces – Robed in Rareness
New Age Doom & Tuvaband – There Is No End
Mike Reed – The Separatist Party
DJ Shadow - Action Adventure
SIPHO. – Prayers & Paranoia
The Mountain Goats – Jenny From Thebes
Elkka – DJ Friendly EP
Robert Finley – Black Bayou
Ben Sloan – muted colors live EP
Black Pumas – Chronicles of a Diamond
Ragana – Desolation’s Flower

New album Black Dog from Elizabeth Bernholz (aka Gazelle Twin) dropped today. Stylistically, she continues down a similar path with experimental, industrial electronic compositions mixed with a lot of darker ambient tones, synths, and some piano. I'm very sure that Gazelle Twin won't be for most people, but I've been a long-standing fan of her work since 2014. Black Dog is 11 tracks and spans about 41 minutes. Consequently (or not), this album dropped right before Halloween, and it's quite an unsettling and chilling listen. And Bernholz's voice is very standout on this album. It goes high, it goes low, it's beautiful and slow, it's fast and biting - it seems otherworldly most of the time. I've given it two full listens through and it's surely one of the most unique listens of the year for me. I love it so far, but I feel it's going to require several more listens to fully understand and appreciate. The Quietus wrote a lengthy review of the album here, and it goes into great detail on the album and gives some of Bernholz's quotes on what the album is about. All in all, Black Dog will no doubt make it somewhere on to my AOTY list at year's end.

Ok, this one is a ton of fun. A bunch of canadian musicians - Moe Berg (Pursuit of Happiness), Craig Northley (Odds), Stephen Page (Barenaked Ladies) and Chris Murphy (Sloan) got together and formed this "supergroup". Their words - "we recorded a K-Tel style compilation of Canadian classics from 1969-1975 that we call Trans-Canada Highwaymen Explosive Hits Vol. 1."

Album on tidal:

Ok, this one is a ton of fun. A bunch of canadian musicians - Moe Berg (Pursuit of Happiness), Craig Northley (Odds), Stephen Page (Barenaked Ladies) and Chris Murphy (Sloan) got together and formed this "supergroup". Their words - "we recorded a K-Tel style compilation of Canadian classics from 1969-1975 that we call Trans-Canada Highwaymen Explosive Hits Vol. 1."

Album on tidal:

Haven't gotten to it yet, myself, but I'm looking forward to it!

Album on tidal:

In the queue here too, anything with Murph in it I'm in on.

Although it sounds nothing like it's predecessor, I've thoroughly enjoyed the 🆕 King 👑 Gizzard and The Lizard 🦎 Wizard! This album is a whole lotta fun and it takes it's inspiration from the likes of Giorgio Moroder, Kraftwerk and Daft Punk. The project has it all, disco 🪩 🕺 EDM, techno and even jungle! Isn't there anything these guys can't do?!

Although it sounds nothing like it's predecessor, I've thoroughly enjoyed the 🆕 King 👑 Gizzard and The Lizard 🦎 Wizard! This album is a whole lotta fun and it takes it's inspiration from the likes of Giorgio Moroder, Kraftwerk and Daft Punk. The project has it all, disco 🪩 🕺 EDM, techno and even jungle! Isn't there anything these guys can't do?!
Interesting, I am gonna have to give it a listen. The review I read wasn’t very high on this one, they ended with this barb.

“The Silver Cord was released in two different editions; one with the songs edited to around four minutes each, one where the songs stretch out over the ten minute mark. The extended versions don't add much to the overall effect of the album, merely giving the listener more time to wonder why the band chose to go down this route.”

Interesting, I am gonna have to give it a listen. The review I read wasn’t very high on this one, they ended with this barb.

“The Silver Cord was released in two different editions; one with the songs edited to around four minutes each, one where the songs stretch out over the ten minute mark. The extended versions don't add much to the overall effect of the album, merely giving the listener more time to wonder why the band chose to go down this route.”

I could not disagree with that review more - I think the extended versions are where the songs actually become fully realized. The shorter versions are okay samplings, like a beer flight, but the extended mixes really shine. I love it!

Back