New Music Friday!

Just gave a listen to Hania Rani's new release Ghosts. It's a different direction for her, quite a bit heavier on the vocals, but still beautiful and very impressive on first listen. That and the new Daniel Villarreal have me going back for seconds this week.

Last edited:
Back to work, and now with my full-time manager for the first full week (he began his parental leave literally midway through my first day).

🔥
  • Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips
  • Cleo Sol - Gold [I am choosing to believe that this is the 3rd best SAULT album]
👍
  • Haru Nemuri (春ねむり) - INSAINT (EP)
  • Slow Pulp - Yard [I hate that I liked this]
  • Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex [I stopped listening to the laundry machine tumble and put on this album. Afterwards, while I enjoyed the electronic progressions, while disliking Steven's lyrics/vocals, I said to myself "wow, this has little to no chance of making my top50" and proceeded to folding laundry, after the machine had stopped for ~25min. My long-sleeved shirts still have wrinkles 😡]
🤷‍♂️
  • Jeremiah Chiu - In Electric Time
  • Jorja Smith - falling or flying [starts strong. Falls off a cliff after the first skit, with some of these songs not fitting Jorja's voice at all (namely "GO GO GO")]
👎

None.​

🤮
None.​
Oh yeah I haven’t posted about it here, but that new Armand Hammer is the my favorite rap album this year. It’s so dense and weird, but it really hooked me on one listen.

Radar List for 13/10/2023
ISLAJAAngel Tape (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Alvin LucierWorks for the Ever Present Orchestra Vol. II (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL)
Ellen ArkbroSounds While Waiting (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL, MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Ábris GryllusNucleus of the Decay (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL)
ALVA NOTOHYbr:ID II (ELECTRONIC, MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)

Alvin Lucier and Alva Noto looking like must purchase next week!

Radar List for 13/10/2023
ISLAJAAngel Tape (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Alvin LucierWorks for the Ever Present Orchestra Vol. II (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL)
Ellen ArkbroSounds While Waiting (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL, MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Ábris GryllusNucleus of the Decay (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL)
ALVA NOTOHYbr:ID II (ELECTRONIC, MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)

Alvin Lucier and Alva Noto looking like must purchase next week!
And another!

Peter BrötzmannCatching Ghosts (JAZZ / FUSION)

Just gave a listen to Hania Rani's new release Ghost. It's a different direction for her, quite a bit heavier on the vocals, but still beautiful and very impressive on first listen. That and the new Daniel Villarreal have me going back for seconds this week.

I can not wait to see her play in Boston over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Ghosts (and a few other tracks from this new album) feature on this gorgeous concert she did for Cercle;

I can not wait to see her play in Boston over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Ghosts (and a few other tracks from this new album) feature on this gorgeous concert she did for Cercle;

oh shhhheeeett, thanks for heads up on this!!! been wanting to see her perform forever and I'll be in NE area around Thanksgiving. I think I'll be able to make that show!

Radar List for 10.13.23

Jamila Woods – Water Made Us
boygenius – the rest EP
Goat – Medicine
Green-House – A Host For All Kinds of Life
Rebel Yell – Desolation
Alva Noto – HYbr:ID II
Aj Suede & Steel Tipped Dove – Reoccurring Characters
Geese – 4D Country EP
L’Rain – I Killed Your Dog
Nitin Sawhney – Identity
Aditya Prakash – Isolashun
Terra Lightfoot – Healing Power
Margo Price – Strays II
John Scofield – Uncle John’s Band
RITUAL / HABIT / CEREMONY – RITUAL / HABIT / CEREMONY
Laura Misch – Sample the Sky
Metric – Formentera II
CMAT – Crazymad
Helena Deland – Goodnight Summerland

Didn't get to listen to a lot but...

🔥
  • Pangaea - Changing Channels [now THAT is how you do tech house! P4K can get some things right every now and then]
👍
  • The Anchoress - Versions [a cover album with a moody singer/songwriter approach. Respectable, at that. My favorite was her take on Nico's "These Days." The first half were all enjoyable covers, including some Depeche Mode and Radiohead classics. Recommended if you like A.A. Williams' voice]
  • Hannah Diamond - Perfect Picture [it seems that the RYM gen-z zombies are eating this up for now, but it'll drop down. I do like it, to be honest. A handful of synthpop bops in the middle of the runtime. It drops off hard near the end. Hyperpop may still be well and alive, but PC Music is kind of stuck in the past now, isn't it?]
  • Jlin - Perspective (EP) [my favorite of this grouping]
  • Sufjan Stevens - Javelin [I'm going to the seventh ring of hell for not putting this in the high mark tier, aren't I? Yes, it is good. Yes, I'm aware of the background and circumstances surrounding this project]
🤷‍♂️
  • Mary Lattimore - Goodbye, Hotel Arkada [not overly impressed. Some of those external SFX were oddly out of place. Still looking forward to seeing her perform next Monday! I'm sure these songs will translate better in an intimate setting, preferably stripped back]
  • Leo Takami - Next Door [this was fine, if a bit forgettable. Felis Catus and Silence from 2020 was a more inviting, cuddly experience]
  • Daniel Villarreal - Lados B [not able to get into this. Might be the most uninteresting project I've heard Jeff Parker on]
👎
  • Cherry Glazerr - I Don't Want You Anymore [a mishmash of synthlines and indie/alt rock that coalesces into nothingness. Albums like these are not helping to persuade against my desire to dissociate progressively more from modern indie rock. Apparently Stuffed and Ready was good?]
🤮

None.​

Back