New Music Friday!

Just realized that the front man from the band Pineapple Thief, Bruce Soord, released his 4th solo LP, Luminescence, on Sept 22nd. Alongside some orchestral strings and some light percussion and electronica, Soord's beautiful vocals and his acoustic guitar are the centerpiece of the album. I'm only one listen in, but this one was everything catchy, uplifting, and peaceful.

Last edited:
Radar List for 10.6.23

Mary Lattimore – Goodbye, Hotel Arkada
Various Artists – Allen Ginsberg’s The Fall of America Volume II
Daniel Villarreal with Jeff Parker & Anna Butterss – Lados B
Aho Ssan Rhizomes
Benji Vaughan Eidolon
Moebius – Aspirin
Paramore Re: This Is Why
Azu Tiwaline – The Fifth Dream
Various – Spiritual Jazz 14: Private
Mutabaruka – Black Attack
Chouk Bwa & The Ångströmers – Somanti
Blu x Med & Bane Capital – Good Fortune EP
Half Stack – Sitting Pretty
ONIPA – Off The Grid
BCMC – Foreign Smokes
John R. Miller – Heat Comes Down
The Rural Alberta Advantage – The Rise & The Fall
The Seshen – Nowhere
Butcher Brown – Solar Music
NYTT LAND – Torem
Suzanne Ciani & Jonathan Fitoussi – Golden Apples of the Sun
Souleance – Beautiful
Adeline Hotel – Hot Fruit
Max Cooper – Motif EP

Last edited:
So many releases this week. I'm really only able to focus on maybe 3-4 new releases a week, so I'll hope for some slower upcoming Fridays to catch up.

I'm gonna prioritize these:

Mary Lattimore - Goodbye, Hotel Arkada
Mutual Benefit - Growing at the Edges
Sufjan Stevens - Javelin

I'm also excited about these, but I might need to wait till I can play catch-up:

Glasser - Crux
The Rural Alberta Advantage - The Rise & The Fall
Truth Club - Running From the Chase

New Rural Alberta Advantage and Sufjan are the top 2 for tomorrow. A bit bummed the Rural Alberta is half an EP that came out already, but at least it'll (eventually) all be out on vinyl. Gotta complete that discography.

Sufjan I am more excited for than I have been for one of his albums in so long. I've been returning to The Ascension and finding it better than i thought it was, although I don't know that it's amazing. I am one of those Sufjan fans who doesn't like Carrie & Lowell all that much. It's too mellow and sad, which isn't my favorite mode of Sufjan. Javelin sounds like a nice in between, with more arrangements and a mix of the mellow folk. I think it might be really, really great.

Back to work, and now with my full-time manager for the first full week (he began his parental leave literally midway through my first day).

🔥
  • Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips
  • Cleo Sol - Gold [I am choosing to believe that this is the 3rd best SAULT album]
👍
  • Haru Nemuri (春ねむり) - INSAINT (EP)
  • Slow Pulp - Yard [I hate that I liked this]
  • Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex [I stopped listening to the laundry machine tumble and put on this album. Afterwards, while I enjoyed the electronic progressions, while disliking Steven's lyrics/vocals, I said to myself "wow, this has little to no chance of making my top50" and proceeded to folding laundry, after the machine had stopped for ~25min. My long-sleeved shirts still have wrinkles 😡]
🤷‍♂️
  • Jeremiah Chiu - In Electric Time
  • Jorja Smith - falling or flying [starts strong. Falls off a cliff after the first skit, with some of these songs not fitting Jorja's voice at all (namely "GO GO GO")]
👎

None.​

🤮
None.​

🔥
  • Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips
Well, shit... I completely forgot to check this album out (even though it was on my radar list). Thanks for the reminder here!
  • Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex [I stopped listening to the laundry machine tumble and put on this album. Afterwards, while I enjoyed the electronic progressions, while disliking Steven's lyrics/vocals, I said to myself "wow, this has little to no chance of making my top50" and proceeded to folding laundry, after the machine had stopped for ~25min. My long-sleeved shirts still have wrinkles 😡]
Lol. Fair. I've been saying to myself, this has little to no chance of NOT making my Top10 this year 😉 If we all loved the same things, it would be a boring world.

This collector’s edition 2XLP is presented in hand-numbered jackets enhanced with spot gloss over the ghost logo. Disc one (main) is pressed in a black with gold swirl configuration, with disc two (instrumentals) pressed in white with gold swirl vinyl.

In celebration of the five year anniversary of Ghostface Killah’s widely acclaimed 2018 LP, The Lost Tapes, Big Ghost LTD is pleased to announce a deluxe edition reissue in partnership with Holy Toledo Productions and Coalmine Records, which includes both the main and instrumental passes.

Despite what the title may suggest, The Lost Tapes is not a collection of rare or unreleased tracks, but rather an album recorded with the intention of summoning an incarnation of an early Tony Starks, akin to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Ironman, and Supreme Clientele. And this is achieved largely by the production value that Big Ghost LTD brings to the table. Armed with a cache of raw beats, Ghost tastefully weaves soulful samples to create a satisfying cocktail of distinctively up-to-date boom bap. This especially holds true on tracks like “Majestic Accolades” and “Watch Em’ Holla.” The former of which is among the album’s highlights, as Starky Love raps one of the more memorable hooks, talking about his experiences with girls, hustling, and life in general.

Narrated by Michael Rapaport, the ’90s hip-hop aficionado, actor and comedian helps keep the pace for Ghost Deini’s 10th solo LP by reminding us that we’re in the presence of greatness. But it’s the chemistry of emcee and producer that elevates The Lost Tapes to one of the more stand-out solo releases in Wu-Tang’s discography of recent memory. Entrenched in the classic Wu sound, the 12 track LP slaps like a ‘90s record without sounding like a strained attempt to recapture lightning in a bottle.

To boot, The Lost Tapes are also abound with features from hip-hop luminaries such as Snoop Dogg, Raekwon, E-40, Killah Priest, KXNG Crooked, Cappadonna, Big Daddy Kane, Ras Kass and more.

All in all, The Lost Tapes is a victory lap, and one who’s purpose is to not only to create nostalgia, but to formulate a group of songs that represent who Ghostface was as a person back then, and where he stands now as one of the most exemplary emcees of all time.
credits

Loving the new Mutual Benefit! I was nervous bc I the last album felt like a different direction in comparison to Love's Crushing Diamond and Skip a Sinking Stone, the two earlier albums I adore, but this new album feels like a return to that earlier form, it's beautiful.

Perfect album for the fall.

Last edited:
As expected I really, really like the new Sufjan. It is exactly what I thought it would be. The added instrumentation is exactly what Carrie & Lowell was missing for me. This is a step up. It's not as ambitious as most of his other albums, which I guess disappoints me just ever so slightly. But the run time is pretty tight, with no second wasted. I saw some people saying it sounds like All Delighted People, and largely I think that's pretty accurate. Although, there is nothing as grand and gigantic as the song All Delighted People anywhere on Javelin.

As expected I really, really like the new Sufjan. It is exactly what I thought it would be. The added instrumentation is exactly what Carrie & Lowell was missing for me. This is a step up. It's not as ambitious as most of his other albums, which I guess disappoints me just ever so slightly. But the run time is pretty tight, with no second wasted. I saw some people saying it sounds like All Delighted People, and largely I think that's pretty accurate. Although, there is nothing as grand and gigantic as the song All Delighted People anywhere on Javelin.
Yeah I also feel some similarities to All Delighted People even though there’s far less electronics on ADP compared to Javelin. But they just feels like sister records. I can’t really explain why.

Back