Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Pros:
  • Get to visit a lot of places in a short time
  • Caribbean islands' current economy would probably die without them
Cons:
  • Travelers on cruises are usually extremely obnoxious tourists
  • lots of germ sharing (current situation)
  • staff normally treated/paid terribly
  • Cruise ships are a massive waste of fuel/emissions
  • Quite expensive $1000+/person + airfare

I would want to take an Alaskan Cruise or European River cruise, but the stereotypical Caribbean cruise is not appealing to me. I've done that twice when I was much younger with my family already, got horrible sun burn one time and food poisoning another time.
Right, I mean normally they get such good press.

Edit: my personal beef with them is how frequently people go missing from them with inadequate investigation. Worst rate of vanished passengers? Disney.

Thanks. I was curious because the level of antipathy Being expressed was less along the lines of “I don’t care for them“ and more along the lines of “Republicans!“

Interesting thought piece about how this may irreversibly change the way we interact with the consumer world. Basically, "touch" was everywhere (from the devices on display at the Apple Store to McDonald's self-ordering screens). What happens next?

Interesting thought piece about how this may irreversibly change the way we interact with the consumer world. Basically, "touch" was everywhere (from the devices on display at the Apple Store to McDonald's self-ordering screens). What happens next?

giphy.gif

Wow, Germany is doing 500,000 tests per week.

This explains the 0.3% death rate. On one hand, their stats probably reflect reality better than in other countries. On the other, they can target and isolate everything they find early.

They may have started later than South Korea but they are keeping death rates low by doing the same thing.

Looks like this is the model to follow until treatments are found.

I got this from a french article:

I read this too, but this seems to be what germany is ramping up to in the moment, but so far it looks like we only tested a little over 400k people with similar selections than elsewhere. number of deaths are rising so we're in shutdown as well hoping we've acted early enough to keep the hospitals from collapsing.

Everybody knows a virus is too small to shoot, but what this administration presupposes is, maybe it isn't?
not sure if this has been posted yet, but my mom just shared it with me

View attachment 37891
You'll still have hundreds of these guys.

What’s y’all’s beef with cruises?

Anyone I know who has lived in a prominent cruise destination despised them. Obnoxious loud entitled tourists who get dropped off, clog the city, spend no money in the local economy and then disappear. We have an equal issue in rural Ireland with foreign tourists on bus tours from the cities, mainly Dublin. Anyone if you come here and want to see rural Ireland outside the main city you’re staying in please visit the places properly and come stay in the hotel, buy dinner in the restaurant, drink in the pub and invest in the local economy of the place you are invading.

Last edited:
What album do I start with?

For Nicholas Jaar? Ooooh man. His discography is very diverse and has several different aliases. I consider him, Kendrick and Grimes my holy trinity of modern music. And I'm someone that grew up on alt/indie/classic rock + underground hip hop.

I'd probably go in this order:
Nicolas Jaar: Space is Only Noise (his debut LP from 2011 captures his signature sound)
Darkside: Psychic (him + a jazz guitarist from 2013)
A.A.L. 2012-2017 (released in 2018-- his house music side)
Nicholas Jaar: Cenzias (2020) Lots of piano, very meditative
Nicholas Jaar: Sirens (2016)- A little bit of everything he does
A.A.L: 2017-2019 (2020)- Him doing techno

Also has its fans but is more ambient than my tastes usually lean:
Nicholas Jaar: Nymphs
Nicholas Jaar: Pomagrannets

Some more samples:

From Space is Only Noise until Ray Charles sued and it was yanked from future copies:

Darkside live:

A.A.L:

From Sirens:

Last edited:
Back