Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I was just talking about this with a nurse that I work with. The new thing to do in health insurance is talk about social determinants of health, which is something that was done in public health for years and years before health insurance realized that they were missing the boat. I encounter this very thing all the time internally and externally in my organization. Unless you've lived pay check to pay check on a crappy job or two, you have no idea what the poor really need. They completely miss out on how to curb expenses in this population because they have no idea how to navigate the world with very little money. It's a different mindset that is driven by survival not comfort. It's so sad to see how out of touch the people are who are making decisions for all of us.

Also, it doesn't look like we are flattening the curve at all right now.

View attachment 37865

I'm still trying to figure out how total cases is on a steeper curve than new cases.

Pretty much. Where loosing on the health front so we need show we are acting. And saying we are doing everything we can. It's away for Trump to show he's taking action and will be commended by his base for taking such action.
I keep thinking of Children Of Men
DUMB and DUMBER

I'm still trying to figure out how total cases is on a steeper curve than new cases.
If new cases are increasing linearly, total will increase exponentially. If we were doing a great job and new cases were the same every day, making a flat line, total would be linear.

The total case curve is the integral of the new case curve, basically. If y is cases and x is number of days at least.

Doing some reading today that tests could be putting out false negatives anywhere from 15-30% of the time.
I am feeling better but I’m reading the chances of both my wife and I to have pneumonia in both lungs is very low but for both of us to get a false negative test result seems very low too.

Knock on wood, but I hope to take that test for antibodies whenever it’s made available

What’s y’all’s beef with cruises?
Pros:
  • Get to visit a lot of places in a short time
  • Caribbean islands' current economy would probably die without them
Cons:
  • Travelers on cruises are usually extremely obnoxious tourists
  • lots of germ sharing (current situation)
  • staff normally treated/paid terribly
  • Cruise ships are a massive waste of fuel/emissions
  • Quite expensive $1000+/person + airfare

I would want to take an Alaskan Cruise or European River cruise, but the stereotypical Caribbean cruise is not appealing to me. I've done that twice when I was much younger with my family already, got horrible sun burn one time and food poisoning another time.

So about this $1200 stimulus.

The democrats fought to give everyone $1200 now and not figure out what poor people would not qualify for the full amount and pay them less.

The bad news is, those poor people will have to pay it back as the senate bill currently stands. If your 2020 tax return is less than $1200 you will have to pay the difference back over 3 years. Everyone is going to find that their 2020 tax return is $1200 less because of the $1200 paid out in advance due to this stimulus.

Is this not the same deal banks and businesses get? It's essentially an interest free loan. I mean it could and probably should be more, but...

Wow, Germany is doing 500,000 tests per week.

This explains the 0.3% death rate. On one hand, their stats probably reflect reality better than in other countries. On the other, they can target and isolate everything they find early.

They may have started later than South Korea but they are keeping death rates low by doing the same thing.

Looks like this is the model to follow until treatments are found.

I got this from a french article:

This is fascinating. If only most companies, or even our government, were as aware, proactive, and interested in being prepared as Howard E Butt's stores.

Back