Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I missed this update last week:

Dammit.

I think it just means approval will happen in due course, when all the data is in, as opposed to accelerated. Probably a good idea since accelerating this would just give opponents more arguments regarding potential safety risks because of unknowns.

I think it just means approval will happen in due course, when all the data is in, as opposed to accelerated. Probably a good idea since accelerating this would just give opponents more arguments regarding potential safety risks because of unknowns.
Yeah. I was just excited about the possibility that maybe we could start the process of getting the first two shots out of the way so that we could potentially get to that fully vaccinated state that much faster.

The 100% work from home period is finally ending for both my wife and me, and our current home-based daycare provider is closing her business for good at the end of May. My work has an attached daycare center for employees, and I had just always hoped that events would line up so that by the time we're back to working in the office AND need to start using a center with a lot more people, our kiddo's exposure risk would be less of a concern.

The rush to start rolling back restrictions and mitigations before the last tranches of the population have access to even the most basic protections continues to dismay me. The ones who can't get vaccinated OR wear masks OR wash their hands regularly OR maintain social distancing just have to...deal with it. Good plan.

Yeah. I was just excited about the possibility that maybe we could start the process of getting the first two shots out of the way so that we could potentially get to that fully vaccinated state that much faster.

The 100% work from home period is finally ending for both my wife and me, and our current home-based daycare provider is closing her business for good at the end of May. My work has an attached daycare center for employees, and I had just always hoped that events would line up so that by the time we're back to working in the office AND need to start using a center with a lot more people, our kiddo's exposure risk would be less of a concern.

The rush to start rolling back restrictions and mitigations before the last tranches of the population have access to even the most basic protections continues to dismay me. The ones who can't get vaccinated OR wear masks OR wash their hands regularly OR maintain social distancing just have to...deal with it. Good plan.

Governments are ruling by polling as opposed to doing what's right. We went from our provincial government wanting to tax the unvaccinated about 4 weeks ago to now lifting the vaccination passport completely by March 14. Neither of those things make sense epidemiologically. It's like by mentioning the first thing, they affected polling and now want to appease things by going the other way. At least indoor masking is remaining for now. Everyone is acting like it's over while hospitalisations, although on a down slope, are still higher right now than they were at any other time during any wave. And deaths are still pretty high too, affecting mostly the unvaxxed and the immunocompromised (mainly elderly people).

We just got 3rd doses approved for the 12-17's as of tomorrow so I'll go with mine ASAP, especially since her competition schedule is starting up in March (competitions for her can be done pretty safely since diving is relatively individual).

I was writing earlier in this thread (based on some history of pandemics thing I read but can't locate anymore) that previous pandemics, including the 1918 flu pandemic, pretty much ended because people got fed up of restrictions and decided to just ignore it. Electing governments that oppose measures and the like. Usually about 2 years in. History is essentially repeating. I fully expect COVID to take about 4-5 years, when all's said and done, to become truly endemic. We can certainly "live with it", using all the tools we have and having pretty much no shut downs anymore, but ignoring it and moving on shouldn't be the way forward.

I was writing earlier in this thread (based on some history of pandemics thing I read but can't locate anymore) that previous pandemics, including the 1918 flu pandemic, pretty much ended because people got fed up of restrictions and decided to just ignore it. Electing governments that oppose measures and the like. Usually about 2 years in. History is essentially repeating. I fully expect COVID to take about 4-5 years, when all's said and done, to become truly endemic. We can certainly "live with it", using all the tools we have and having pretty much no shut downs anymore, but ignoring it and moving on shouldn't be the way forward.

I was just hearing reading some stories and watching news reports on the local NBC station about America moving on and leaving those with disabilities or are at high risk on their own to fend for themselves.

When it comes to mask mandates, both locally and nationally they are being lifted. There are two narratives I am seeing about this.

The minority / unpopular opinion: Lifting the mask mandates is more of a political move than a public health move. When it comes numbers, were infections are still high rivaling the peak of the delta variant it makes no sense lifting mask mandates so early.

The popular opinion: We are seeing a downward trend in new cases. ICU's are not full and overall Omnicron is milder for vaccinated adults. It's common sense that we should be lifting the mandates and start returning to normal. We can't keep mandates in place forever.

So basically, we can forget about Covid and return to normal if we are seeing a downward trend. But with cases still high won't this just help it bounce back or new variants to form?

Yesterday New Hampshire's state senate passed a bill that would ban all future hybrid or remote learning in public schools with the exception of for weather (snow day). Meanwhile, they did not pass a school lunch bill that would require students to get a 30 minute lunch break with at least 20 minutes to sit down and eat. It's like they don't care about the students well being.

Massachusetts Republican governor already put an end to remote / hybrid learning last year via executive order saying all kids must be in school in person. He is also lifting the mask mandate for public schools on February 28th.

This has lead to a lot of parents asking their towns or schools to impose their own mask mandate to protect their high risk kid or high risk family members. But they are making no progress and being forced to pull their kids out of school to be homeschooled. No one at the city or school board level wants to impose a mask mandate citing it's not needed by current guidelines. This is leaving students behind who are at high risk to fend for themselves. The parent of a student in MA who has cystic fibrosis is saying they are basically saying their child is an acceptable loss to return to normal. And that it has to be a violation of ADA and hope it can be challenged through the ADA. For now, they are forced to pull their child out of public schools.

Boston lifted their proof of vaccination mandate yesterday. Last night's Bruins game was the first game / event at the TD Garden in Boston since the start of the pandemic where proof of vaccination was not needed. NBC Boston interviews a lot of hockey fans about this and most are saying stuff like "It's about time". Only one 20 something girl said it makes her feel uncomfortable and that the decision sounds to be made more over money than public health. Masks are still required in Boston with the exception of when eating or drinking. The TD Garden lifted the proof of vaccination required along with the city citing they are following the cities guidelines.

Boston is one of the last holdouts in MA that still has a mask mandate. Salem ended theirs on 2/9.

Over the weekend when I went to the mall with my family, most stores said mask are strongly encouraged. What I noticed. Most store employees were not wearing masks. Most white / 30 something plus people were not wearing masks. Young adults, Asians and Hispanics were where you saw people wearing masks.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Salem was 1 of 3 cities in MA who had a vaccination proof mandate. It was lifting along with the mask mandate on 02/09/2022. Salem's economy was hurt big time by the mandate. It alianted the locals. People from around the North Shore in MA stopped coming to Salem and the city gotta rep of being overly liberal and a place to avoid. People were done with mandates, and showed it with their wallets.

Last edited:
I was just hearing reading some stories and watching news reports on the local NBC station about America moving on and leaving those with disabilities or are at high risk on their own to fend for themselves.

When it comes to mask mandates, both locally and nationally they are being lifted. There are two narratives I am seeing about this.

The minority / unpopular opinion: Lifting the mask mandates is more of a political move than a public health move. When it comes numbers, were infections are still high rivaling the peak of the delta variant it makes no sense lifting mask mandates so early.

The popular opinion: We are seeing a downward trend in new cases. ICU's are not full and overall Omnicron is milder for vaccinated adults. It's common sense that we should be lifting the mandates and start returning to normal. We can't keep mandates in place forever.

So basically, we can forget about Covid and return to normal if we are seeing a downward trend. But with cases still high won't this just help it bounce back or new variants to form?

Yesterday New Hampshire's state senate passed a bill that would ban all future hybrid or remote learning in public schools with the exception of for weather (snow day). Meanwhile, they did not pass a school lunch bill that would require students to get a 30 minute lunch break with at least 20 minutes to sit down and eat. It's like they don't care about the students well being.

Massachusetts Republican governor already put an end to remote / hybrid learning last year via executive order saying all kids must be in school in person. He is also lifting the mask mandate for public schools on February 28th.

This has lead to a lot of parents asking their towns or schools to impose their own mask mandate to protect their high risk kid or high risk family members. But they are making no progress and being forced to pull their kids out of school to be homeschooled. No one at the city or school board level wants to impose a mask mandate citing it's not needed by current guidelines. This is leaving students behind who are at high risk to fend for themselves. The parent of a student in MA who has cystic fibrosis is saying they are basically saying their child is an acceptable loss to return to normal. And that it has to be a violation of ADA and hope it can be challenged through the ADA. For now, they are forced to pull their child out of public schools.

Boston lifted their proof of vaccination mandate yesterday. Last night's Bruins game was the first game / event at the TD Garden in Boston since the start of the pandemic where proof of vaccination was not needed. NBC Boston interviews a lot of hockey fans about this and most are saying stuff like "It's about time". Only one 20 something girl said it makes her feel uncomfortable and that the decision sounds to be made more over money than public health. Masks are still required in Boston with the exception of when eating or drinking. Boston is one of the last holdouts in MA that still has a mask mandate. Salem ended theirs on 2/9.

Over the weekend when I went to the mall with my family, most stores said mask are strongly encouraged. What I noticed. Most store employees were not wearing masks. Most white / 30 something plus people were not wearing masks. Young adults, Asians and Hispanics were where you saw people wearing masks.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Salem was 1 of 3 cities in MA who had a vaccination proof mandate. It was lifting along with the mask mandate on 02/09/2022. Salem's economy was hurt big time by the mandate. It alianted the locals. People from around the North Shore in MA stopped coming to Salem and the city gotta rep of being overly liberal and a place to avoid. People were done with mandates, and showed it with their wallets.

Even in Quebec, where we've had some of the more drastic measures, we're moving towards dropping most of everything. Right now, we still have some capacity restrictions for large venues, indoor masks and vaccine passports for certain places.

March 14, they're dropping capacity limits and the passport. Masking in schools ends after march break (March 7 or 14 depending on where you are). All that will remain is indoor masking out of schools.

We're trending down too. But hospital have 1700 patients, which is still more than at any other time. Nobody is really counting cases anymore.

I don't really know what to think.

I'll probably keep the mask on for a while after it comes down. I have some of those risk factors so I should be a little extra careful even if I'm triple dosed. My daughter will probably chose to keep her mask on for a bit too, because she doesn't want to suddenly catch COVID and have to miss competitions, which are finally starting up again.

I guess we'll have to decide for ourselves. It was bound to happen. I just didn't think it would before closer to summer.

@Turbo

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but I have noticed that a lot of the pushback against mandates here in the United States would prevent similar measures from ever being used again should we have another pandemic that's not covid in the future. Especially when it comes to schools or stay at home orders. Vaccine mandates and proof of vaccine mandates.

We expect a lot of political candidates to run on the platform of returning to normal, removal mandates and limit future power of public health officials with the 2022 election cycle in the United States further worsening the problem.

I feel that Covid has pretty much screwed our country over whereas if the next pandemic is worse there is almost nothing we can do about it because Freedumb.

@Turbo

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but I have noticed that a lot of the pushback against mandates here in the United States would prevent similar measures from ever being used again should we have another pandemic that's not covid in the future. Especially when it comes to schools or stay at home orders. Vaccine mandates and proof of vaccine mandates.

We expect a lot of political candidates to run on the platform of returning to normal, removal mandates and limit future power of public health officials with the 2022 election cycle in the United States further worsening the problem.

I feel that Covid has pretty much screwed our country over whereas if the next pandemic is worse there is almost nothing we can do about it because Freedumb.

I don't think it's as bad here, but there definitely is a conservative movement inspired by the US views. Hence all those "truckers" over the last few weeks. I have to think they'd do the right thing next time, but I guess it depends on how much time passes between now and then.

Nah. Here are the magic words: "Covid was different! That was a Chinese Democrat virus!"

Sadly, there is probably more truth to that than satire.

My biggest concern is in the early days of the next pandemic. Preventing community spread.

Some states have removed the ability of public health officials to issue stay at home orders, quarantines or mask mandates leaving the decision with politicians rather than experts. Will the State senate's move fast enough and be able to make the best public health decisions in time? Even the Governor's power has been limited in some states to do this by executive order.

There is absolutely no way we will be able to control / stop the spread. The next pandemic will hit us full force and be here to stay. I see you statement coming into play with mask mandates after it's too late to do anything about the pandemic. Because it's peoples rights and the economy is more important than protecting lives. Got to remember, grandma and grandpa would gladly sacrifice themselves for the state of the economy and their grandchildren. At least according to Texas's Lt Governor.

Sadly, there is probably more truth to that than satire.

My biggest concern is in the early days of the next pandemic. Preventing community spread.

Some states have removed the ability of public health officials to issue stay at home orders, quarantines or mask mandates leaving the decision with politicians rather than experts. Will the State senate's move fast enough and be able to make the best public health decisions in time? Even the Governor's power has been limited in some states to do this by executive order.

There is absolutely no way we will be able to control / stop the spread. The next pandemic will hit us full force and be here to stay. I see you statement coming into play with mask mandates after it's too late to do anything about the pandemic. Because it's peoples rights and the economy is more important than protecting lives. Got to remember, grandma and grandpa would gladly sacrifice themselves for the state of the economy and their grandchildren. At least according to Texas's Lt Governor.
'We'll See if it's the next pandemic or just next winter's covid wave

Not sure if everyone is aware, but my vaxxed and boosted wife tested positive for Covid on Sunday, symptoms were just congestion, mild fever, and feeling tired. Yesterday my vaxxed kids started to get symptoms too: 12 year old just a sore throat, 15 year old sore throat and cough, both tested negative. Today, both kids stayed home, 12 year old ready to go back (restested negative), but 15 year old has been sleeping most of the day, coughing some, threw up a couple times, sore throat, and temp of 101.5. There is no way he doesn’t have Covid.

Meanwhile, my wife is feeling much better, BUT she has a clotting disorder called antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Since Covid provokes blood clots, the docs decided she needed the monoclonal antibody infusion (sotorivumab - which she got today), plus they want her to be on Coumadin for a month. She feels probably about 90% better, but feels like this is all her fault, even though she wears a mask when at work and indoors.

I have zero symptoms and have tested negative. I have asthma, so I’m wearing an N95 while at home. All in all this sucks.

I just heard a report about Delivery and To Go orders are here to stay and restaurants which they would just go away.

Despite almost all covid restrictions easing, delivery and to go orders are still much higher than pre-covid. Consumers have grown accustomed to the conveniences or ordering from an app and never having to interact with a person. Fast delivery times and so on.

But deliveries are expensive. Most third party delivery services like GrubHub, DoorDash, Uber Eats and what not charge a 30% fee to the restaurant. Not to mention if something goes wrong with the delivery it's the restaurant that takes the blame if it if it's not their fault. It's also the restaurant who has to refund the consumer. This eats a lot out of a restaurants margin, and for some, delivery orders operate in the red.

When it comes to To Go / Pick Up orders, restaurants are struggling to balance the need of preparing all the food for To Go orders while taking care of the people dining in. In many cases, they simply don't have the capacity to keep up without a larger kitchen during peak times.

Restaurants are now fighting back. While many have been unsuccessful at getting rid of these options they added early on during the pandemic due to high consumer demand, they are trying to make them less desirable. For example, some have started passing on the 30% fee for delivery to consumers. Others are limiting their menu options for To Go and Delivery orders. And in some cases, a completely different menu is offered that is exclusive to To Go and Delivery orders. These exclusive menus are known as "virtual brands" and their goals are to be higher profit margin menu items, more efficient to fulfil orders and attract new customers.

My favorite restaurant in salem has tried to get rid of To Go service a few times now but always ends up bringing it back. They never had To Go or delivery options prior to Covid. They added a To Go window in the the back during Covids stay at home order. As soon as indoor dining was allowed again at full capacity they got rid of to go. Only to bring it back due to new waves / variants and consumer demand.

The latest version of the To Go window is by membership / club only. You sign up for 1 to 4 meals a month. Each meals is 4 servings. Their club menu is completely different from their dine in menu options, and you pick your meal(s) from a monthly menu and pick the day(s) you want to pick up your fully cooked meal box.

Apparently this membership meal box to go thing is a big hit and a lot of people do it. I suspect it's here to stay now.

I just heard a report about Delivery and To Go orders are here to stay and restaurants which they would just go away.

Despite almost all covid restrictions easing, delivery and to go orders are still much higher than pre-covid. Consumers have grown accustomed to the conveniences or ordering from an app and never having to interact with a person. Fast delivery times and so on.

But deliveries are expensive. Most third party delivery services like GrubHub, DoorDash, Uber Eats and what not charge a 30% fee to the restaurant. Not to mention if something goes wrong with the delivery it's the restaurant that takes the blame if it if it's not their fault. It's also the restaurant who has to refund the consumer. This eats a lot out of a restaurants margin, and for some, delivery orders operate in the red.

When it comes to To Go / Pick Up orders, restaurants are struggling to balance the need of preparing all the food for To Go orders while taking care of the people dining in. In many cases, they simply don't have the capacity to keep up without a larger kitchen during peak times.

Restaurants are now fighting back. While many have been unsuccessful at getting rid of these options they added early on during the pandemic due to high consumer demand, they are trying to make them less desirable. For example, some have started passing on the 30% fee for delivery to consumers. Others are limiting their menu options for To Go and Delivery orders. And in some cases, a completely different menu is offered that is exclusive to To Go and Delivery orders. These exclusive menus are known as "virtual brands" and their goals are to be higher profit margin menu items, more efficient to fulfil orders and attract new customers.

My favorite restaurant in salem has tried to get rid of To Go service a few times now but always ends up bringing it back. They never had To Go or delivery options prior to Covid. They added a To Go window in the the back during Covids stay at home order. As soon as indoor dining was allowed again at full capacity they got rid of to go. Only to bring it back due to new waves / variants and consumer demand.

The latest version of the To Go window is by membership / club only. You sign up for 1 to 4 meals a month. Each meals is 4 servings. Their club menu is completely different from their dine in menu options, and you pick your meal(s) from a monthly menu and pick the day(s) you want to pick up your fully cooked meal box.

Apparently this membership meal box to go thing is a big hit and a lot of people do it. I suspect it's here to stay now.
I feel sorry for what so many restaurants went through, and are probably still going through, but when things like this happen you have to make a choice, adapt or don't............but, that choice, now, has a $ attached to it. Society is weird, we bitch and moan about stuff, then give in/accept it and then make it the norm, right or wrong.

That being said, never underestimate what the consumer is willing to pay for and how much they're willing to pay for it............I remember when cable first popped up and people were up in arms that a company wanted them to PAY to watch television. Right or wrong, look at all the things the majority pays for now.

They've noted higher rates of ED in men who had Covid, but what is more concerning is that this could be a symptom of long Covid as well, which from data that came out of Israel, vaccination status has no effect on developing long Covid. I know there's a study from the US that suggests this isn't the case, but I believe the science from Israel more.

I feel sorry for what so many restaurants went through, and are probably still going through, but when things like this happen you have to make a choice, adapt or don't............but, that choice, now, has a $ attached to it. Society is weird, we bitch and moan about stuff, then give in/accept it and then make it the norm, right or wrong.

That being said, never underestimate what the consumer is willing to pay for and how much they're willing to pay for it............I remember when cable first popped up and people were up in arms that a company wanted them to PAY to watch television. Right or wrong, look at all the things the majority pays for now.
Maybe I'm an outlier, but 1) shouldn't takeout already be integrated into most restaurants' business models?, and more acutely 2) why does togo/delivery have to necessitate a third party app? Ok, delivery I get; unless you're doing pizza (but now I ask why is pizza the default must-deliver food type?), hiring a dedicated employee to drive food around town probably isn't cost-effective, but if you don't have a public-facing phone number for takeout orders, you're missing out on business.

Again, I may be the outlier here; when I order takeout I usually check for a direct line first and accept the time/gas cost of going to get the food vs. the cost of having an underpaid someone ferry it to me. Whereas my wife immediately goes to Doordash and looks for the specific place she wants to order from. I imagine there's some business to be lost in going app-agnostic, but that's gotta be offset by the lack of fees.

This might also vary from region to region; in the PNW where a lot of people are still reluctant to eat indoors and the weather makes outdoor seating unpleasant, plenty of eateries have pivoted to basically being food windows and turned their former seating areas to prep/storage. Several places even switched their dine-in process to online ordering where you pay on your phone and indicate your table number, which feels like a blurring of the line between dine-in and takeout, which I actually think has some interesting potential for industry change. For better or worse, I'm unsure.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but 1) shouldn't takeout already be integrated into most restaurants' business models?, and more acutely 2) why does togo/delivery have to necessitate a third party app?

A lot of traditional restaurants didn't have take out or delivery options prior to covid. And when the stay at home orders hit they had to adapt. Often adapting third party solutions and not doing things in the most efficient way.

Now they are finding them in a place where consumers don't want them to take away the delivery and to go options. They will have to adapt and improve on their offerings.

Yes a dedicated phone line would be better, but let's face it. A lot of people don't like the human interaction or having to hold and just prefer to order on an app. And most restaurants don't have the budget to have someone build their own app.

Back