Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Not that it would be shocking that Florida is doing shenanigans, cumulative death tolls, at least here, also include deaths that occurred in previous weeks (i.e. that weren't tallied in the week they occurred but confirmed later). That could account for the discrepancy but could also be indicative that they are damn slow at confirming them, possibly because it suits them with these stats.

School is starting soon. My younger son is 11, turns 12 in September, so he will be vaccinated soon. Until then he will be unprotected at school, except for his mask. Monday the school board is meeting, and one of the agenda items is whether or not to mandate masks for kids and employees. Needless to say, my wife and I are in favor of a mandate. We don’t want him to get Covid, and since I have asthma, I would prefer to not test my antibodies.

We have a strong contingency of anti-maskers here, and they’re planning on attending the meeting to make their opinions known, one of which is a coworker of mine who’s a pharmacist as well who no longer has school-aged kids. My wife and I now also plan on attending.

The reason things are worsening are because of the unvaccinated. Until children under 12 can get vaccinated, we have to rely on the grown-ups to do the right thing and protect them by getting vaccinated.

I found this the other day, apparently it came out when smallpox was rampant. Have we learned nothing as a society?
E1913F70-6A80-4E94-AEEF-0BB52AC1D80D.jpeg

School is starting soon. My younger son is 11, turns 12 in September, so he will be vaccinated soon. Until then he will be unprotected at school, except for his mask. Monday the school board is meeting, and one of the agenda items is whether or not to mandate masks for kids and employees. Needless to say, my wife and I are in favor of a mandate. We don’t want him to get Covid, and since I have asthma, I would prefer to not test my antibodies.

We have a strong contingency of anti-maskers here, and they’re planning on attending the meeting to make their opinions known, one of which is a coworker of mine who’s a pharmacist as well who no longer has school-aged kids. My wife and I now also plan on attending.

The reason things are worsening are because of the unvaccinated. Until children under 12 can get vaccinated, we have to rely on the grown-ups to do the right thing and protect them by getting vaccinated.

I found this the other day, apparently it came out when smallpox was rampant. Have we learned nothing as a society?
View attachment 108036
If the dude has no school age children, why does he have an opinion on this?

View attachment 108036

My daughter starts 1st grade on Monday and even though there is a mask mandate for students and employees, my wife and I are still worried. My Aunt who is special needs, lives with us and she is 62 with underlying conditions. The 3 of us are vaccinated. My daughter is really excited about actually going to school rather than remote learning. We had a meet and greet yesterday and her class is full with 25 kids and no 3 feet of distance. We are just hoping for the best, I guess.

My daughter starts 1st grade on Monday and even though there is a mask mandate for students and employees, my wife and I are still worried. My Aunt who is special needs, lives with us and she is 62 with underlying conditions. The 3 of us are vaccinated. My daughter is really excited about actually going to school rather than remote learning. We had a meet and greet yesterday and her class is full with 25 kids and no 3 feet of distance. We are just hoping for the best, I guess.
As last year proved, masks work. Social diatancing enhances their efficacy, but even on their own, masks do help mitigate the tramsission.

View attachment 108036
My son turned 12 in July. We just got his first shot. He had no negative side effects at all.
My son also has Autism and ADHD and neither condition was exacerbated.

So proud of my state right now.
Ugh, so my uncle passed last week from dementia. His condition had been getting much worse for a while. His kids (and him) are all anti vaxers and it's been fun trying to coordinate a funeral since both of my cousins came down with Covid. My mom is helping my aunt with all the paperwork, but she's refusing to be around my cousins because my dad is a transplant patient. It's been a mess.

Ugh, well at least we decided that Jazz Fest while we have record high infections might not be a great idea.

In Texas, the governor has a ban on mask mandates in schools.

Though some school districts, through a loophole issue mask mandates for students while on school busses following the CDC guidelines which calls for such mandates. This is in defiance of the governors order and he is expected to challenge it and try to withhold funding from school districts that mandated masks on school buses.

Dallas and Miami districts have stated there will be mask mandates in defiance of their governors.

@nolalady sucks about the funeral. My mom is in and out of medical facilities right now with terminal cancer. I can’t imagine how horrible this experience must have been for families during the height of the first wave.

Houston and Austin are also doing mask mandates. That's 3 of the 4 largest school districts in Texas giving Governor Greg Abbott the finger. Not sure where San Antonio stands right now. My 11 year old is relieved that she can start school next Monday at her new junior high with masks again. She's the only one of us not vaccinated yet.

Last edited:
Houston and Austin are also doing mask mandates. That's 3 of the 4 largest school districts in Texas giving Governor Greg Abbott the finger. Now sure where San Antonio stands right now. My 11 year old is relieved that she can start school next Monday at her new junior high with masks again. She's the only one of us not vaccinated yet.
mask requirements indoors at SA universities, Joint Base, and for all city employees. all SA school districts are encouraging masks and vaccinations for eligible students, but no mandates.

I know the largest district is continuing to offer virtual classes for all grades below the age of 12 (also one of the wealthier districts, keeping up with the virtual classes is most likely not feasible for southside district without gov. funding, and they have greater numbers of students without internet access at home.)

Savannah Georgia reinstated their indoor mask mandate, but I was just there and no one told them -_-

It's all lip service, no one will do what they're supposed to do. We'll just cull the old and ignorant and callously deal with the few sick and dying child "consequences."

People suck.

Back