Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

When we all get shut down again the people who aren't taking it seriously will just blame the people who are.

I sadly do not see us all shutting down again. The feds said we can not support another shut down. The Trump administration is not going to issue guidance for another shutdown.

Red states like Arizona, Texas and Florida are signaling they won't shut down again.

I think this is going to become a red state verse blue state issue. Where blue states will shut down, red states won't. And the federal government won't provide any additional aid to blue states who shut down.

That's the direction we are heading.

I sadly do not see us all shutting down again. The feds said we can not support another shut down. The Trump administration is not going to issue guidance for another shutdown.

Red states like Arizona, Texas and Florida are signaling they won't shut down again.

I think this is going to become a red state verse blue state issue. Where blue states will shut down, red states won't. And the federal government won't provide any additional aid to blue states who shut down.

That's the direction we are heading.
Unfortunately you're probably right. I don't even find myself in favor of a full shutdown. That's why I get so frustrated at people taking no precaution. There's other countries that did it without a full lockdown. We can have something in between by having things up but still practicing social distancing and wearing a mask. Especially in crowded places. But the "muh freedoms!" resistance seems to be a uniquely American problem.

Yup. But then you have the idiots that say that data is useless. All it shows is that we are testing more.

Meanwhile Texas has hit pause on their reopening.
Louisiana has also hit pause. We are in stage 2 and have delayed stage 3. The mayor of NOLA is warning people that if they don't wear their masks, she will shut the city down.
More people need to be like this guy.

(don't become a VP of a major healthcare company to begin with but still)

I could go into all of this but there was always going to be a problem with a non single payor system. Every other place with socialized medicine has a single payor system where the government owns the clinics and hires the doctors. This is how they control costs. With a system where there are still shareholders and the primary motivator is to bolster stock prices and not to deliver quality lower cost care, and then basing compensation on a CMS guideline (which is how Medicare and Medicaid services are priced) was going to end very badly for the people paying the taxes for this and the people caught in this system.

And here comes more questioning of case counts, which is happening largely because we have no federal guidance for data collection and surveillance because the pandemic team hasn't been staffed or funded in two years.

Thus, with a larger % positive in the population, it means a higher probability of spread. Fall is going to be really not fun.

You have to be a little careful with % positive comparisons when it comes to testing in different countries because a lot of it is related on exactly *who* is being tested. If you concentrate your tests on symptomatic people in hot zones, your percentages will be higher than in places where a lot of asymptomatic population testing is being performed (say, if you count daily/weekly routine tests of government officials or sports league athletes where nobody has exhibited symptoms, or if you just test the population at large to see how things are going). The percentage also changes over time depending on where each country is in their curves. NYC was upwards of 15% in April IIRC.

That said that US percentage is quite high and the infection curves are also rising sharply. The infection on those states is likely already out of control and testing can't keep up. Adjustments will have to be made - which ideally means shut downs of certain sectors and targeted testing strategies until things are under control again.

Reactions: Jan

1593275014523.png

Meanwhile, what is Florida doing to control the spread? Closing a few bars linked to outbreak clusters and pretty much nothing else.

Hmm, I may or may not be sick but have reason to believe I may. I’ll head over to this place where a whole bunch of other people are in the same predicament. I will not do much at all to protect myself or them for as long as it takes to get through this today.

are these the prevailing thoughts at play here?

Back