Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

This is strange. Seems like it should have been caught prior to publication.

Statement from The Lancet
Today, three of the authors of the paper, "Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine with or without a macrolide for treatment of COVID-19: a multinational registry analysis", have retracted their study. They were unable to complete an independent audit of the data underpinning their analysis. As a result, they have concluded that they "can no longer vouch for the veracity of the primary data sources." The Lancet takes issues of scientific integrity extremely seriously, and there are many outstanding questions about Surgisphere and the data that were allegedly included in this study. Following guidelines from the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), institutional reviews of Surgisphere’s research collaborations are urgently needed.

The retraction notice is published today, June 4, 2020. The article will be updated to reflect this retraction shortly.

This is strange. Seems like it should have been caught prior to publication.

Statement from The Lancet
Today, three of the authors of the paper, "Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine with or without a macrolide for treatment of COVID-19: a multinational registry analysis", have retracted their study. They were unable to complete an independent audit of the data underpinning their analysis. As a result, they have concluded that they "can no longer vouch for the veracity of the primary data sources." The Lancet takes issues of scientific integrity extremely seriously, and there are many outstanding questions about Surgisphere and the data that were allegedly included in this study. Following guidelines from the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), institutional reviews of Surgisphere’s research collaborations are urgently needed.

The retraction notice is published today, June 4, 2020. The article will be updated to reflect this retraction shortly.

Looks like the data mining company surgisphere the study got the patient data from is basically a fraud. This article is pretty interesting.

28 states are not following the CDC's guidelines for reopening. 26 states are seeing increases in new confirmed cases.

Probable cases are not being reported and many red states are suppressing the data making it hard to actually determine what their rates of new infections and deaths are

wouldn't it be nice to live in a progressive country that cares about it's citizen's health?

Looks like the data mining company surgisphere the study got the patient data from is basically a fraud. This article is pretty interesting.

I'm a health data analyst and this is not at all surprising. The ins and outs of data are tricky and you really have to set your definitions ahead of time (pre-study). Just because it comes from a private company doesn't mean that their data standards are rigorous. This is what happens when you don't have scientists and data people involved in data collection and cleaning.

So here's some good news amid the doom and gloom:
“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

I really hope this is the case.

I'm a health data analyst and this is not at all surprising. The ins and outs of data are tricky and you really have to set your definitions ahead of time (pre-study). Just because it comes from a private company doesn't mean that their data standards are rigorous. This is what happens when you don't have scientists and data people involved in data collection and cleaning.

So here's some good news amid the doom and gloom:
“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

I really hope this is the case.
WHO is already walking this back...

One thing I have noticed as of late on snapchat is a lot of influencers I follow have resumed normal life. Lot's of going out dancing and drinking. Large crowds. You would never think there was a pandemic, and I'm certainly not seeing any kind oof social distancing or mask wearing.

Has the social life this resumed in many areas of the united states.

One thing I have noticed as of late on snapchat is a lot of influencers I follow have resumed normal life. Lot's of going out dancing and drinking. Large crowds. You would never think there was a pandemic, and I'm certainly not seeing any kind oof social distancing or mask wearing.

Has the social life this resumed in many areas of the united states.
I would say yes. A lot of restrictions have been lifted here in PA. Some places can have crowds up to 250 people. But people definitely don't seem to care that they're still supposed to social distance and wear a mask. (I live in the center of the state among the masks infringe on my constitutional right crowd). You won't catch me in a large crowd anytime soon.

I would say yes. A lot of restrictions have been lifted here in PA. Some places can have crowds up to 250 people. But people definitely don't seem to care that they're still supposed to social distance and wear a mask. (I live in the center of the state among the masks infringe on my constitutional right crowd). You won't catch me in a large crowd anytime soon.
AZ is always a poor example of...well...anything, but social distancing has never been enforced or adopted widely here. There have been photos and videos of large day-club pool parties the last few weeks where 200+ people are packed in a pool, no distancing, no masks etc. Hell, people were even out en masse during the initial lockdown playing golf and whatnot.

Back