Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I honestly don't see this ending until there is a cure/vaccine (and the likelihood of that being managed well by the current administration is nil). I think there is going to be a second wave. If the first even subsides.

And third, and fourth, etc... I still think the more likely scenario involves multiple periods of closures/social isolation over the coming months (or years), until we figure out a vaccine or effective treatment.

Reading that Wuhan shut some things down again after fears of a second wave makes me think we've got a while to go. Wuhan now in their 4 month of lockdown? They are much better at enforcing social distancing than us and if it's taking them that long to feel safe then it's surely going to take us even longer. Vaccine can't come soon enough.

Dammit, DC, be better! At least the mayor SHUT THAT SHIT DOWN!

Cape Cod residence a calling for all public transportation to the Cape to be canceled.

Local communities have shuttered regional bus terminals.

They are also calling for the cancelation of the Cape Flyer which is commuter rail to the cape Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday from May through September.

One of the proposal is not to allow the drawbridge to close preventing the train from being able to enter the Cape. Which by the way would be illegal, only the federal government has the authority to do that as the bridge is owned and operated by the Coast Guard.

Basically, we have a bunch of panicked Cape residence, especially after they were invaded by people from NY to quarantine on the Cape bringing occupancy to summer peak levels

Why am I internet-arguing with idiots about this? I almost always refrain from that stuff on FB...but I am at my point of boiling over. I have two coworkers that keep posting about fudged death numbers and diagnoses, media driven panic meant to take down Trump, and of course the 'it's actually not even as bad as the flu' posts. I realize I'm probably just wasting my time...and yet, Detroit is using an old sports and concert arena as a temporary hospital. That has never been done in other 'flu seasons.' That's not a fake report or a fudged number, it's a fact...how can they not see this?

Why am I internet-arguing with idiots about this? I almost always refrain from that stuff on FB...but I am at my point of boiling over. I have two coworkers that keep posting about fudged death numbers and diagnoses, media driven panic meant to take down Trump, and of course the 'it's actually not even as bad as the flu' posts. I realize I'm probably just wasting my time...and yet, Detroit is using an old sports and concert arena as a temporary hospital. That has never been done in other 'flu seasons.' That's not a fake report or a fudged number, it's a fact...how can they not see this?

Yeah, I'm avoiding talking about COVID on Facebook or any Republican in my family. My father for example, who says the temporary hospitals are just another scare tactic and part of the media's agenda.

According to movement data, apparently we are the best at compliance in North America. Vive le Quebec!

Our infection numbers are high (close to half of the entire country) and they are spiking fast, but given we're also top 5 in testing per capita in the world, we're doing the right things to get through this. Hospital capacity is holding as well. All this testing will pay off once we start leveling off.

According to movement data, apparently we are the best at compliance in North America. Vive le Quebec!

Our infection numbers are high (close to half of the entire country) and they are spiking fast, but given we're also top 5 in testing per capita in the world, we're doing the right things to get through this. Hospital capacity is holding as well. All this testing will pay off once we start leveling off.

Is that because Quebec shares more of a kinship with Europe than the rest of Canada? I have always thought Quebec is more European than it is North American.

Yeah, I'm avoiding talking about COVID on Facebook or any Republican in my family. My father for example, who says the temporary hospitals are just another scare tactic and part of the media's agenda.

And the media's agenda is to....shut down the country because.....that helps who? I just don't understand. I feel can think for myself, interpret what I read fairly well, and I'm not a panicked person by nature...and yet I still grasp the severity of this.

We've probably all been through different phases during whatever version of lockdown/quaratine we're each in. Fear, lonliness, sadness, stir-crazy. Today's phase for me is apparently anger and disdain for the deniers.

Is that because Quebec shares more of a kinship with Europe than the rest of Canada? I have always thought Quebec is more European than it is North American.

Honestly, I think our leadership has been really strong on this.

Premier Legault speaks clearly and with authority. Tells it like it is. He's always joined by the public health and safety advisor during his press conferences and he's been a delight. Explains the situation really well every day and throws in a little humor here and there. Basically, they are listening to the science.

So I think it's their message that instilled confidence in the population.

I say this as someone that is not a fan of this party in power. They are conservative and populists to some extent, which is not my thing. But they have been excellent with this.

Well, I tried and failed to get a Refund for my April MBTA Commuter Rail Pass.

A third party company takes payroll deductions, has the passes mailed to them and then they mail it back to me.

So the MBTA is mailing my pass to Phenix AZ and then it's being mailed back to MA.

The requirements to get a refund were to mail the passes back to Phenix AZ where they must receive them by no later than March 31st or they will mail it back to you.

Of course I didn't get it in the mail until Friday March 27th and by the time it got back to Phenix I missed the deadline. I just got the pass back in the mail today and my refund request was denied.

That's $300 down the drain as I'm not commuting at all this month.

The reason why they need it back by before April 1st is to make sure you haven't used it. With Commuter Rail you don't tap to enter / exit trains like busses or subway so they can't tell if you used it or not.

Back