Never ending vinyl challenge: 6 degrees of Kevin Gray

jamieanderson1968

This idea came up in this months vinyl challenge. Play an album that is connected to the previous album that someone else played. Could be connected by musician, or producer or one artist covering the other, or even who mastered a particular pressing.

A few ground rules:
  • Indicate how what you are playing is connected to the last item played
  • Try not to play eps or singles as this may limit what someone can play next
  • Try not to take over the thread, let others have a chance
  • The idea is not to stump people, but to keep this thread going as long as possible
I will kick it off with a recent arrival
Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark
This album is a who's who of music, plenty of directions to go for the next person who wants to join in. Lets see how long this chain can go.
IMG_1178.jpg

This idea came up in this months vinyl challenge. Play an album that is connected to the previous album that someone else played. Could be connected by musician, or producer or one artist covering the other, or even who mastered a particular pressing.

A few ground rules:
  • Indicate how what you are playing is connected to the last item played
  • Try not to play eps or singles as this may limit what someone can play next
  • Try not to take over the thread, let others have a chance
  • The idea is not to stump people, but to keep this thread going as long as possible
I will kick it off with a recent arrival
Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark
This album is a who's who of music, plenty of directions to go for the next person who wants to join in. Lets see how long this chain can go.
View attachment 138831
"Oh No, Not My Baby" was written by Carole King & Jerry Goffin. Leading to another one that can go in a bunch of directions...

Carole King - Tapestry

1652391528117.png

Curtis Amy plays a variety of instruments on different tracks of Tapestry. Curtis Amy produced Merry Clayton’s Gimme Shelter:

View attachment 138834

And merry Clayton also sang gimme shelter on the original rolling stones version on let it bleed
1652392399468.png

The VMP pressing is quite nice. I have not heard a stereo version, supposedly it is hard panned.
Yea--the VMP is lovely. Really great work by RKS. The stereo version I believe is the same on streaming--I think Aretha is centered but different instruments are pretty much fully panned left and right. Was listening to it while driving the other week and the panning was annoying haha.

I think I only have one or two other records from Sundazed but I like how they put a sticker that says colored vinyl and that color is black.

Sundazed has been hit or miss since they started up. They were just short of the gray market/Scorpio in the beginning 2000's.

Then for a while they were getting cuts from Mr. Gray and pressed at QRP and became a bit more legit in reissues.

The Super Session includes “His Holy Modal Majesty”, a lengthy tribute to the recently deceased John Coltrane.

View attachment 138853
So, i have to admit while in high school Punk rock and indie rock what was i was listening to and branching out in different felds sometimes through my record store who would always recommend stuff and i learned about some of my favourite artists that way. I hasd no jazz in my collection and did not know anything about jazz, indeed had never heard the name John Coltrane before the guys at the record store gifted me a promo cd copie of dream syndicates Live at Raji. I really listened to the " John Coltrane Stereo Blues" a lot and decided to check him out, liked that a lot and started to add jazz to the genres i branched out into.
So i give you
1652422042402.png

Yea--the VMP is lovely. Really great work by RKS. The stereo version I believe is the same on streaming--I think Aretha is centered but different instruments are pretty much fully panned left and right. Was listening to it while driving the other week and the panning was annoying haha.

That typed of hard panned mix is the worst when driving. I was streaming Rubber Soul the other week and it was driving me mad. All the vocals coming right at me and the music off over there somewhere firing at the passenger seat (obviously that’d be reversed for you crazy cats).

From indie rock to smooth jazz…

The second album produced by The Dream Syndicate was The Days of Wine and Roses. This album has the same name as a popular tune by Henry Mancini performed by the Earl Klugh Trio on this album.

Attachments

• A0E70F99-266E-4D44-8592-C89CCDA46408.jpeg
    A0E70F99-266E-4D44-8592-C89CCDA46408.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2
So, i have to admit while in high school Punk rock and indie rock what was i was listening to and branching out in different felds sometimes through my record store who would always recommend stuff and i learned about some of my favourite artists that way. I hasd no jazz in my collection and did not know anything about jazz, indeed had never heard the name John Coltrane before the guys at the record store gifted me a promo cd copie of dream syndicates Live at Raji. I really listened to the " John Coltrane Stereo Blues" a lot and decided to check him out, liked that a lot and started to add jazz to the genres i branched out into.
So i give you
View attachment 138881

Love that record so much. ROG nailed the vinyl pressing of that one and the live recording is great.

Curtis Amy plays a variety of instruments on different tracks of Tapestry. Curtis Amy produced Merry Clayton’s Gimme Shelter:

View attachment 138834

Curtis Amy played alto sax on The Doors Touch Me and was a well respected West Coast Studio Musician (Motown relocation , etc.) You can see him in this television appearance.

Last edited:
Love that record so much. ROG nailed the vinyl pressing of that one and the live recording is great.
Yes, i am so glad that i got my hands on the rog ( i think that was the time when you could get those as store releases cheap through vmp) because i at one point decided to get rid of all my cds, so to have this on vinyl in the complete form now is great

From smooth jazz to a soundtrack... includes a Henry Mancini song.

Various Artists "The Big Lebowski Soundtrack" (1993 Mercury; 2019 MONDO reissue)
This was a gifted as a PIF from @Potato-Socks

View attachment 138901

Why don´t we go Daptone from here. Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings played a cover of just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In) by Kenny Rogers & The First Edition that is on the Big lebowski Soundtrack.
It´s included in her slightly differently named Covers Album, that was released posthumous
1652454021390.png

Last edited:
Back