Neil Young

Just checked and yeah, charges are to MovieMars. I'm going to send an email and ask why my charges show up as they do. Maybe I'll learn something. Weird. This is from their website, which lends to the indie vibe (as does the sticker they send with each shipment).

View attachment 179197
This is the reply to my inquiry. Confirmed. Neither place has a brick-and-mortar presence, for whatever that's worth. Probably meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it comes as a surprise to me nonetheless.

Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 8.15.38 AM.png

This is the reply to my inquiry. Confirmed. Neither place has a brick-and-mortar presence, for whatever that's worth. Probably meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it comes as a surprise to me nonetheless.

View attachment 179242
At least they ship fast and give tracking. That's more than Movie Mars does. Even though they annoyed me with their snafus, I'm not too good for a bargain when it pops up.

down to $140 shipped
$132.95 if you sign up for emails (5% off).

Buying Neil on vinyl not too terribly different from seeing Neil live on the current tour. A couple sitting near me bought the moment tickets went on sale, and paid $298 per seat via Ticketmaster's dynamic pricing. I waited until the day of show and paid $29 with all fees included (via the resale market). I felt bad for them, but sometimes good things come to those who wait...

At least they ship fast and give tracking. That's more than Movie Mars does. Even though they annoyed me with their snafus, I'm not too good for a bargain when it pops up.
Same. I've never ordered from Movie Mars, unless it's been inadvertently through Walmart. But this just changes my perception, not necessarily my willingness to order from Inner Sleeve.

Same. I've never ordered from Movie Mars, unless it's been inadvertently through Walmart. But this just changes my perception, not necessarily my willingness to order from Inner Sleeve.
The nice thing about MM is that sometimes you can find stuff on their site that is out of stock everywhere else. I've snagged a few rare things there. It always felt sketchy and they shipped them in crap mailers, but never had a problem when ordering direct. When I've ordered from them on Amazon they've cancelled a few times because their stock was bad.

$132.95 if you sign up for emails (5% off).

Buying Neil on vinyl not too terribly different from seeing Neil live on the current tour. A couple sitting near me bought the moment tickets went on sale, and paid $298 per seat via Ticketmaster's dynamic pricing. I waited until the day of show and paid $29 with all fees included (via the resale market). I felt bad for them, but sometimes good things come to those who wait...
I already have Freedom and Ragged Glory… I do want the expanded/remastered Ragged Glory and also Weld, but not Arc or another Freedom. I suspect that the two I want will be pricey (2LP and 3LP) but I’ll probably still save a few bucks by waiting for the individual releases.

Or I’ll get the box if it drops to $90 or below.

I just spent a few hours going through A/B comparison with my OG Freedom/Weld/Ragged Glory copies vs the new box set.

In a previous post, some folks had commented they already had some of these records and they were good. A totally rational thought process. I noted these were all released during the dark days of vinyl, way too much music was crammed on each record and the industry really didn't give a crap about the quality of vinyl because it was such a small % of sales. CDs were the flavor of the day so all our vinyl copies, no matter how absolutely rare, precious and overpriced, were kinda afterthought products.

I'll put it simply - If you're truly a fan of Neil Young and music, get this box.

Ironically, I can sum up the difference in the OGs vs the new box set in three letters - DDD,

In the dark days of digital when these recordings were originally released, DDD meant digitally recorded, mixed and mastered.

For our purposes. DDD in reference to these new versions means more Dynamic, more Detailed and more Depth of soundstage, The difference is so evident. These versions are so audibly superior to the originals.

Do what thou wilt. If you need to wait for a good deal (I bit at $120 cause I'm a Neil freak but that's also a paltry $13 a record), do it. At the same time, a 9LP set via VMP would cost you probably $350.

Bottom line - it's pretty great, buy it when you need to but make sure you buy it. I don't think this one will submarine quite as much as the others based on the LPs involved.

Last edited:
I just spent a few hours going through A/B comparison with my OG Freedom/Weld/Ragged Glory copies vs the new box set.

In a previous post, some folks had commented they already had some of these records and they were good. A totally rational thought process. I noted these were all released during the dark days of vinyl, way too much music was crammed on each record and the industry really didn't give a crap about the quality of vinyl because it was such a small % of sales. CDs were the flavor of the day so all our vinyl copies, no matter how absolutely rare, precious and overpriced, were kinda afterthought products.

I'll put it simply - If you're truly a fan of Neil Young and music, get this box.

Ironically, I can sum up the difference in the OGs vs the new box set in three letters - DDD,

In the dark days of digital when these recordings were originally released, DDD meant digitally recorded, mixed and mastered.

For our purposes. DDD in reference to these new versions means more Dynamic, more Detailed and more Depth of soundstage, The difference is so evident. These versions are so audibly superior to the originals.

Do what thou wilt. If you need to wait for a good deal (I bit at $120 cause I'm a Neil freak but that's also a paltry $13 a record), do it. At the same time, a 9LP set via VMP would cost you probably $350.

Bottom line - it's pretty great, buy it when you need to but make sure you buy it. I don't think this one will submarine quite as much as the others based on the LPs involved.
That’s a great point. I have a pristine OG copy of Freedom and… it doesn’t sound that good. I feel like DDD records have a weirdly cold, metallic sound.

IMG_6243.jpeg
This pressing sounds great. It’s a bit weird though as it feels a bit jumbled conceptually.

Looks like there is two separate pressings, a Euro and North American pressing. The Euro press by Optimal in Germany and the NA pressing appears to be pressed in Canada by GZ offshoot Precision both cut by Chris Bellman. I can’t comment on the Euro, but the NA pressing sounds phenomenal. Currently only the Euro pressing is the only one listed on Discogs but I bet the NA will get added shortly.

View attachment 179778
This pressing sounds great. It’s a bit weird though as it feels a bit jumbled conceptually.

Looks like there is two separate pressings, a Euro and North American pressing. The Euro press by Optimal in Germany and the NA pressing appears to be pressed in Canada by GZ offshoot Precision both cut by Chris Bellman. I can’t comment on the Euro, but the NA pressing sounds phenomenal. Currently only the Euro pressing is the only one listed on Discogs but I bet the NA will get added shortly.
Agreed on the conceptual issues. I was a little underwhelmed, which probably makes sense since it mines the same ground as Hitchhiker/Homegrown (which both were great) and I prefer the Rust Never Sleeps versions of those songs. I feel like Neil waited a little too long to release this.

Paste Magazine put out their top 50 Neil songs. Of course like any list, it’s missing some faves (only one song from Ragged Glory, and it’s not Country Road!), it’s still not a bad list IMO.

Back