Neil Young

I listened to that last night - a fun little play through. Neil is always a tough interview though, wandering between eccentric artist, experienced musician, and just plain weird old guy.

Any thoughts on the Young Shakespeare and Cellar Door pressings?

Been on a Neil kick and haven’t picked these up but have enjoyed streaming ‘em lately. I’ve seen some issues with the Cellar Door pressing which seems unfortunate.

Any thoughts on the Young Shakespeare and Cellar Door pressings?

Been on a Neil kick and haven’t picked these up but have enjoyed streaming ‘em lately. I’ve seen some issues with the Cellar Door pressing which seems unfortunate.
I own them both and have no complaints. You can get them fairly cheap too.

I saw this over on the vinyl deals thread…

Young Shakespeare Deluxe
Amazon product ASIN B08W7SQCQS
That a good deal and it includes the DVD.

Anyone listen to Barn yet? I didn’t LOVE it but I enjoyed it. I thought a lot about what Steven Hyden wrote about in his review published yesterday. Neil seems to genuinely love the process of writing and recording music with his friends. And we should be grateful for that.

I definitely enjoyed it more than most of his recent stuff from the 10s, probably since Psychedelic Pill. But it’s pretty amazing that Neil’s still putting out raunchy analog tracks. I also really enjoyed the band’s playing on it, especially with Nils back in there.

47E82AE4-B696-4B9D-92AB-0D2969F8811C.jpeg
Impressions as I come to the end of my first spin. Great pressing. It’s not as good as Colorado. Would probably have to go back to Psychedelic Pill for an album that’s as good though, although PP is much better. Should appeal to the folks that dig Zuma as it is a varied album. I think Change Ain’t Never Gonna Come is the easy stand out track.

Last edited:
View attachment 121127
Impressions as I come to the end of my first spin. Great pressing. It’s not as good as Colorado. Would probably have to go back to Psychedelic Pill for an album that’s as good though, although PP is much better. Should appeal to the folks that dig Zuma as it is a varied album. I think Change Ain’t Never Gonna Come is the easy stand out track.
Nice review. Still debating whether to pick up the vinyl or not... PP was really the last thing he did that I genuinely enjoyed. Couldn't even get into Colorado much at all, even after several tries. 😕
It’s also a AAA Bellman cut
Would expect nothing less from Neil lol!

Nice review. Still debating whether to pick up the vinyl or not... PP was really the last thing he did that I genuinely enjoyed. Couldn't even get into Colorado much at all, even after several tries. 😕

Would expect nothing less from Neil lol!
I think if you didn’t like Colorado that you won’t like this.

Unfortunately I feel the same way about his recent output (I deeply regret not picking up PP on vinyl back when it was available). Fortunately, Neil’s treasure trove of archives keeps on giving.
It’s funny to hear him talk about finding stuff in the archives he doesn’t even remember. Read somewhere recently that he found what he called the best live recording of NY/Crazy Horse, which is the first disc of the next archival box set. He said he didn’t even remember it.

Back