Needles & Grooves Fantasy Hockey League

Looks like the Comish @BjorgenFjorgen has some editing to do as the league settings need to be changed starting with disabling the keeper league 🤔 As well, let's add blocks to the stat categories and modify the roster positions to include an extra Bench and bring the total to 16 positions like most leagues 😉
I highly recommend keeping an odd number of stat categories, to prevent more ties. Blocked shots is also a notoriously poorly kept stat and are kept differently in different rinks. If others really want it, okay, but then I think we should take another away.

Is 16 a standard roster size? I've been playing for over a decade and every league I've been in is different. Plus with more teams this year, rosters will already be a little thinner. The more bench positions, the more it rewards people who have the time to check free agency and set their rosters every day, so it makes it a bit more intense. I think we're all kind of differing levels of dedicated so I don't want to shift the balance too much, heh.

I highly recommend keeping an odd number of stat categories, to prevent more ties. Blocked shots is also a notoriously poorly kept stat and are kept differently in different rinks. If others really want it, okay, but then I think we should take another away.

Is 16 a standard roster size? I've been playing for over a decade and every league I've been in is different. Plus with more teams this year, rosters will already be a little thinner. The more bench positions, the more it rewards people who have the time to check free agency and set their rosters every day, so it makes it a bit more intense. I think we're all kind of differing levels of dedicated so I don't want to shift the balance too much, heh.
I thought including block shots would had another element of excitement to the game seeing a lot of D are notoriously blocking shots nowadays but if it's too complicated leave the categories as is.

As for roster size, a standard roster is 16 positions, 4 of which are benches, I know because I've been practicing with Mock Drafts all week 😁

I'm cool with leaving the categories as is.

My main suggestion was making free agency go through waivers, at least for a month or so. This way, whoever picks last can get first dibs at the overlooked gems that crop up after a week or two. In the spirit of keeping it fair for those that have less time, this also doesn't reward getting up early to snipe those players.

EDIT: but make waivers short, like 24 hrs?... give enough time for people to see and take a player but don't make it too painful when we need to make quick roster changes because of injuries.

Last edited:
I thought including block shots would had another element of excitement to the game seeing a lot of D are notoriously blocking shots nowadays but if it's too complicated leave the categories as is.

As for roster size, a standard roster is 16 positions, 4 of which are benches, I know because I've been practicing with Mock Drafts all week 😁
Keep practicing...you need it!

I think 16 is the right size too and would not add blocked shots...there's already enough stats to check...also maybe reduce the number of IR spots since it should be like a "normal" season.

It's getting late, let's just keep the categories as is to make it easier on @BjorgenFjorgen.

If you want to add roster spots, it's ok with me. It's ok the same too.

If you want to keep FA the same or it's too hard to change, no biggie either.

I'll figure it out whatever way.

3pm draft on Sunday is fine with me too (it was supposed to be 2pm IIRC?).

It's getting late, let's just keep the categories as is to make it easier on @BjorgenFjorgen.

If you want to add roster spots, it's ok with me. It's ok the same too.

If you want to keep FA the same or it's too hard to change, no biggie either.

I'll figure it out whatever way.

3pm draft on Sunday is fine with me too (it was supposed to be 2pm IIRC?).
I'm sure it's not too complicated to add one more roster spot but eh what do I know 😅

What's FA?

Back