Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 9 - March 2020 /// X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

I looked into Blondie. It’s not impossible but I did not dig into clue matching cause I knocked them out over the circumstantial bit about records not being available and then coming available recently. As far as I know Blondie records are plentiful af.

Blondie would be a good pick. As far as them getting their dues, yes they had sales but who here has more than Parallel Lines or their Greatest Hits. Those other albums were good. They don’t get the respect that their CBGB’s peers all get still.

Just came in and will start reading the clues to see if I can help with the guess (unlikely seeing the number of guesses already offered).

But one thing does trouble me and here it goes:

The name of Paula Abdul's debut masterpiece is Forever Your Girl, not Opposites Attract.

ok but seriously can we narrow it down to a specific decade or timeframe or whatever? or is it still too early for that

Now that BelleAnd Sebastian is out, I'll guess Voice Carry by Til Tuesday because it fits two or three hints and I have no clue what this could be.
(Though actually I never knew any of the albums chosen for ROTM)

Patti Smith Group is a strong contender here. I'll go with the album Radio Ethiopia

The REM clue is a strong tie as Smith and Stipe collaborated on each other's projects.

There are 19 discogs entries for Patti Smith Group

Influencing is high but due may have been paid, I think.

Availability is relatively high, I think but there have been recent represses (specifically of Radio Ethiopia).

Drummer is male.

Radio Ethiopa is the 1st album.

She played CBGB in one her first recorded concerts.

She is in the book, Cinderella's Big Score

Again, the controller is a weak link maybe to lyrics in Because the Night?

She was featured in Vanity Fair

She's been on the cover of a literal pile of magazines (which antagonizes the hasn't gotten their due clue).

Bananarama has professed love for and influence from Patti Smith.

As far as the TV Set clue, well she's been televised numerous times for her performances but she also has acted in a few off the wall things.
(again, diluting the not paid dues deal).

- Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues (@Sonicpharmacist )
- Elastica - Elastica (@Teeeee )
Chromatics - Kill for Love
Tacocat - Lost Time
Upset - She's Gone
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or LasVegas
Hole - Live Through This
Belle and Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime Wants to Dance
all these and royal trux are out

there is not much of a front runner

Patti Smith Group is a strong contender here. I'll go with the album Radio Ethiopia

The REM clue is a strong tie as Smith and Stipe collaborated on each other's projects.

There are 19 discogs entries for Patti Smith Group

Influencing is high but due may have been paid, I think.

Availability is relatively high, I think but there have been recent represses (specifically of Radio Ethiopia).

Drummer is male.

Radio Ethiopa is the 1st album.

She played CBGB in one her first recorded concerts.

She is in the book, Cinderella's Big Score

Again, the controller is a weak link maybe to lyrics in Because the Night?

She was featured in Vanity Fair

She's been on the cover of a literal pile of magazines (which antagonizes the hasn't gotten their due clue).

Bananarama has professed love for and influence from Patti Smith.

As far as the TV Set clue, well she's been televised numerous times for her performances but she also has acted in a few off the wall things.
(again, diluting the not paid dues deal).

I was completely torn between this one and Easter when I made my guess earlier. The reasons I went with Easter in the end were the Television picture and Tom Verlaine having wrote/played on Easter and the fact that it mentions CBGB in the liner notes rather than her just having played there as part of the scene. I still think both are pretty much as likely as each other though.

Last edited:
Back