Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 9 - March 2020 /// X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

I was completely torn between this one and Easter when I made my guess earlier. The reasons I went with Easter in the end were the Television picture and Tom Verlaine having wrote/played on Easter and the fact that it mentions CBGB in the liner notes rather than her just having played there as part of the scene. I still think both are pretty much as likely as each other though.
I would think that a certain song on Easter would make it not as likely to be the pick but maybe that's just me.

I would think that a certain song on Easter would make it not as likely to be the pick but maybe that's just me.
And Patti Smith has certainly received her due. I just don't think it is Patti Smith.

And Patti Smith has certainly received her due. I just don't think it is Patti Smith.
Agreed on this point.

I actually disagree on this, I think she’s far more influential than the credit she’s been given, even if she has had a fair amount. She was an enormous influence on the very foundation acts of indie rock on both sides of the Atlantic. Both The Smiths and R.E.M. have admitted how hugely indebted to her they were. I don’t think she’s had the level of credit given she has had that size of an influence.

Last edited:
What about joan jett and the blackhearts? Pretty influential for the riot grrrls.

flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

Back