Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 7 - January 2020 /// Clarence Clarity - No Now

Gap -

I made a master playlist of every N&G AOTM and was listening to it on shuffle. That was a wild ride.

With No Fear came on. And I was really connecting with it. Then it changed mid song and I almost had a heart attack with the anxiety. I sat with it though. Rewarding listen. It was awesome!

Gap -

I made a master playlist of every N&G AOTM and was listening to it on shuffle. That was a wild ride.

With No Fear came on. And I was really connecting with it. Then it changed mid song and I almost had a heart attack with the anxiety. I sat with it though. Rewarding listen. It was awesome!
I'm happy to hear that ^_^ the second half of that song is basically the big chaotic climax to the entire album and what it all leads up to, though others may not dig it too much, to me it's one of the most rewarding pay offs to an album I've ever heard. The way you can hear bits of previous songs on the album poking through the chaos is amazing

Also, you will probably be happy to learn I ordered a copy of Italian Ice off Nicole's Bandcamp today :D

Came across this podcast with Rina and Clarence where they discuss the production and recording of some of the songs on Sawayama, it's an interesting listen so far
Did you see her Vice interview where she (rightfully) rants about not being elegible for the Mercury Prize?

Did you see her Vice interview where she (rightfully) rants about not being elegible for the Mercury Prize?
I did, I posted a status about it too. I'm glad she's raising a fuss, when the shortlist came out I remember being surprised she wasn't nominated but didn't think it went that deep. Knowing the reasons behind it turned it from an annoying snub to an infuriating purposeful exclusion.

I did, I posted a status about it too. I'm glad she's raising a fuss, when the shortlist came out I remember being surprised she wasn't nominated but didn't think it went that deep. Knowing the reasons behind it turned it from an annoying snub to an infuriating purposeful exclusion.
It is total bullshit that institutions are gatekeeping in such way. I hope this reults in a much-needed discussion about cultural and national identity in our days. It is clear that the square rules that governments throughout the world apply leave a lot of people feeling like outcasts. Multi-culturality is an inherent trait of current societies, so laws should adjust accordingly.

It is total bullshit that institutions are gatekeeping in such way. I hope this reults in a much-needed discussion about cultural and national identity in our days. It is clear that the square rules that governments throughout the world apply leave a lot of people feeling like outcasts. Multi-culturality is an inherent trait of current societies, so laws should adjust accordingly.
If gatekeeping is the issue then I think I'm more concerned with this totally arbitrary line from the eligibility criteria:

1.5 Entries can only be made via a record company that owns or controls the recordings on the submitted album.

Last edited:
Clarence says that he has some new merch coming soon, I'll post about it if I catch it in time. Would be a fun way to support the artist and hopefully get some dope stuff to wear out of it too!

whoop whoop! it drops tomorrow for those interested.

Back